Menu

Butternut Squash -- looking for a *simple* recipe. Please?

I bought a butternut squash, and I'd like to cook it for tonight's supper (we're having parmesan/Ritz cracker/ranch dressing mix crusted chicken). Do I peel it & remove seeds & cut it into cubes/chunks & simmer it with water & a little butter? Slice it & remove seeds & bake it with butter? I'm not looking for anything fancy--no casseroles this time, just squash. Help!

I usually just slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, lay it cut sides down in a baking dish, bake at 350 until it is tender (about 30-45 minutes). Then I scoop out the flesh and mix it with butter, salt and a little maple syrup. Sometimes I'll throw it back in the oven for a bit, but not always.

This

When you can plan ahead, I like to mash it with baked sweet potato. The sweet potato sweetens the squash and the squash cuts the sweetness of the sweet potato. But I love sweet potatoes. THAT is what we are having for dinner. :)

I usually just slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, lay it cut sides down in a baking dish, bake at 350 until it is tender (about 30-45 minutes). Then I scoop out the flesh and mix it with butter, salt and a little maple syrup. Sometimes I'll throw it back in the oven for a bit, but not always.

:iagree:

I do this except no maple syrup.

Probably too late for tonight, but thought I would this comment.

I don't cut them in half before I bake any squash unless I am stuffing an acorn squash.

I just put them on a baking sheet and bake them. For me I would rather deal with a hot squash that scoops easy than cutting them in half and digging out the seeds.

Yep, this. Peeling and cutting is NOT the easy route, trust me. Bake it first.

I have tried to like it, but the only way I like it, is as soup.

I feel the same way about it, but if you care to keep trying, I have a risotto recipe that uses that DH said was restaurant quality :D I loved it, and DD9 ate it, but DD6 still didn't care for it. I think winter squash just will never be her thing.

This is what I do except I stir in crushed pineapple instead of the maple syrup.

Peel, scoop out seeds, cut in small pieces, put in baking dish. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano (if you like). Bake until soft at 350. We have this quite often. Love butternut squash.

This is how I cook it too, often with just olive oil, salt, pepper. It is delicious just as it is. If you've got leftovers, you can mash the squash and mix it into scone or muffin batter for breakfast the next day.

Cat