Menu

Science Magazines?

RainbowSprinkles

Ask magazine does a lot of science. Kids Discover is good but they have a lot of customer service problems according to amazon.com reviewers. I've picked up used copies at the library but I would be afraid to subscribe to it.

That's weird. We've been subscribing to Kids Discover for over a year and nary a problem. We subscribe directly from Kids Discover though.

I tried to order one of the Scholastic magazines and I get an error saying that I need to order at least 10 copies. Do you know if it's possible to order just a single subscription?

Yes, but you'll have to call them and the rate will be more expensive than listed. They are still VERY inexpensive compared to other magazines and my kids LOVE them! :) 1-800-SCHOLASTIC

We recently bought Popular Science and Popular Mechanics (Popular Science was on a great deal, 4 years for only $13, and such deals pop up fairly often). I think there would be plenty to interest children 7-12 in both magazines, and early interested readers would likely develop scientific vocabulary quickly, although the lack of focus on children would mean fewer experiments to try, less dumbed-down language, etc.

My library suddenly started getting Scholastic magazines. I was underwhelmed. I returned it ASAP because I was afraid it would get lost. The math one was 4-6 pages long. On newsprint. I'm dead serious.

Yes, but most of their magazines are weekly - so you get a bundle with the full month's magazines, plus teacher materials. I like it because it's bite size snippets and they're usually seasonally appropriate and applicable.

Ranger Rick and Know for youngers (though everyone still reads them) and Yes for a bit older kids.

ETA: National Geographic Kids is horrible, both in terms of the kind (and amount) of advertising and content.