Menu

GAH!!! When you love a curriculum...BUT

Mommyfaithe

It does not work for your kid. Why can't I just have 2 kids who can learn the same darn way?? There can't be THIS many learning styles! Ohmy GOD!!!! This youngest one is going to be my end.....

I need to switch it all around...again. SOB!!!! The poor kid is going to have an aneurism if I give him another workbook. He is miserable. I am miserable. He hates school...I am hating it too.....:confused:

Time to break out my WTM and re-do his schoolwork...and I don't wanna:glare:

Faithe

I might be able to use some of the same curricula, but I've already resigned myself to creating different sequences for all of my kids. It takes more of my time, but I do enjoy planning (when I have time!) so it's not too bad. Though I should hold my tongue, since I might not say the same thing when I'm teaching all 5 of the kids.

I just finished reading a great book called "Ready to Learn: How to help your Preschooler Succeed". by Stan Goldberg PhD http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Learn-Preschooler-Succeed-ebook/dp/B00192SX02/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327361708&sr=8-4

At first glance I thought it would be the usual "get your kid ready for school laundry list" but it is anything but.

It talks about teaching kids who learn differently (not LD) such as the kid who always forgets things or the kid who hates workbooks or the kid who appears to be listening but doesn't hear a word you say etc and how to teach them in ways that they will connect with and will help them learn.

It mentions in the book that you can use one curriculum for any child no matter how they learn so long as you tweak it to their learning style and he tells you how to do it.

It also talks about how to motivate the child to do something they absolutely don't want or hate doing.

I have a child who HATES workbooks. We are about to start our new school year on Monday and I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I think will work well to get her motivated.

Anyway - it's a great book - I borrowed it from the library but I am planning to buy my own copy as I want it as a reference when I get into a sticky spot LOL.

And despite the title - it shows you how to work with kids of all ages.

I feel your pain -my DD would make a great unschooler and my DS LOVES workbooks and formal learning :)

Oh and when I read SOB I first read it as initails that stand for something else LOL

Edited by sewingmama

:grouphug: Oh, yes. I am in the scrambling to switch things up state right now. I was planning project based learning and inquiry science and he turned around and asked for tests and grades. My younger ds I'm not quite sure about just yet, but so far he's not asking for tests! Lol. I'm trying to pull things together fast so as not to lose months to regrouping. My ds is 11 though. I wouldn't worry so much if he was a littler guy.

Anyway, just throwing another :grouphug: at you.

I have been going crazy here too. I have a dd8 who seems to have a (LD of some kind) but an eagerness to learn.

So,

I have purchased Alphabet Island ( in January) and going through a loss, and a terrible year of pain from endometriosis and surgery in August... lots of pain after that and then sickness, then morning sickness ( 6 weeks) then more pain (IB) I had to re evaluate home schooling altogether!!! But I prayed, and prayed and never heard God say to give up. I missed so much church and felt so isolated, yaddi ya... still, it has been rough.

I couldn't mesh the many choices I had made and am revamping to a less is more idea, with main things : Math, Latin, IEW writing, CHOW history, Veritas press timeline cards, Physical Science, Astronomy ( notebooking), Alphabet Island, CC Cycle 2 memory work and depending on church for more activities than our support group now. It is harder with a large family to make it all work and not go crazy. It depends on how much support I have, time, and learning styles.

I decided today to just sell my sonlight core and keep a few of the books we still want to read. I can't get it all together and have character issues to work on.

I am alone so much I have to re vamp and do what is realistic. I also think I was just desperate to order sonlight and it may work great for other people, but not me. I am using alot of the books they recommend for younger kids and we do love them. I just don't have time to read all of that material and I like IEW, CC, Apologia, Saxon for some, TT for some, and have to keep my sanity #1!

7 children, 1 on the way!

I feel your pain!!!

I was THRILLED to get the books and all this homeschooling stuff "figured out". I was happy to put my second child into the swing of things as soon as she muttered the sound of A. :lol: By the time she entered kindergarten she was crying with reading, writing, and math! I was about to crawl under the computer desk and not come out until my dh came home. :lol: BUT with the wonderful forum I found a new life again!

I now have 3 that I homeschool and they all learn differently! I just now learn to adjust and try my darnest to teach them how they learn best.

I have 1 child that will swing open her workbook, grab her teaching tools, and go to town.

I have 1 child who needs me to sit next to her the ENTIRE time she's doing her math. She needs constant guidance on what to do for every 3 or 5 math problems. YET if I walk away and tell her she will get a reward if she completes her page before I return to my chair...she will do it wonderfully! However I have to sit next to her to begin ANY math days, I've tried the reward right up front and it brings anxiety on her part and tears. BLAH!

I have my totboy who is short focused. He needs the info and to get BUSY as soon as possible. The minute he doesn't have something in his hand he's up and running around. He holds EVERY flashcard we use, EVERY definition card, and if I have to read him a poem I have him stand up and jump or crab walk. :lol: UNLIKE both of my dd's. They both sat still and focused TWICE as long as my ds. :tongue_smilie:

The joy of parenthood, and homeschooling. :grouphug:

I have been going crazy here too. I have a dd8 who seems to have a (LD of some kind) but an eagerness to learn.

So,

I have purchased Alphabet Island ( in January) and going through a loss, and a terrible year of pain from endometriosis and surgery in August... lots of pain after that and then sickness, then morning sickness ( 6 weeks) then more pain (IB) I had to re evaluate home schooling altogether!!! But I prayed, and prayed and never heard God say to give up. I missed so much church and felt so isolated, yaddi ya... still, it has been rough.

I couldn't mesh the many choices I had made and am revamping to a less is more idea, with main things : Math, Latin, IEW writing, CHOW history, Veritas press timeline cards, Physical Science, Astronomy ( notebooking), Alphabet Island, CC Cycle 2 memory work and depending on church for more activities than our support group now. It is harder with a large family to make it all work and not go crazy. It depends on how much support I have, time, and learning styles.

I decided today to just sell my sonlight core and keep a few of the books we still want to read. I can't get it all together and have character issues to work on.

I am alone so much I have to re vamp and do what is realistic. I also think I was just desperate to order sonlight and it may work great for other people, but not me. I am using alot of the books they recommend for younger kids and we do love them. I just don't have time to read all of that material and I like IEW, CC, Apologia, Saxon for some, TT for some, and have to keep my sanity #1!

7 children, 1 on the way!

:grouphug::grouphug:

Here I am on the other side of things....down to my last 3 at home...and quite frankly, I am just tired. I don't feel like revamping my entire shebang because this kiddo won't get with the program. But, of course, I have no choice.

Back to the ol' drawing board,

Faithe

:grouphug::grouphug:

Here I am on the other side of things....down to my last 3 at home...and quite frankly, I am just tired. I don't feel like revamping my entire shebang because this kiddo won't get with the program. But, of course, I have no choice.

Back to the ol' drawing board,

Faithe

No advice, just hugs. :grouphug: And a little fear and trembling.... are you telling me by the time I get this all figured out, I'll have to scrap it and start over? I would cry too! (Probably my last one will be the perfect AO student long after I've given up going all the way through AO, LOL).

There are always differences...but this little boy has me baffled. He has always had sensory issues....we have come soooooooo far with this little one. Maybe today was just a bad day. He may be getting sick as his sobs all feel rotten...and so, of course he was bored....and took to terrorizing the neighborhood.

I can not wait for soccer season to start up again!! Maybe he should start his day off with the Wii fit.....hmmmmmmmm.....

Faithe

Oh my goodness, I am so there!

My first three are 7, 5 and 4. They're 18 months and 14 months apart, respectively. My oldest, like me, would be happy to do SL-type of curriculum all day, reading and discussing literature. Heaven help me the younger two can't do anything without moving.

I am having to scrap SL K(A) mid-year because I cannot take the naughtiness that occurs during school. I have to switch to something more engaging.

God definitely gave me #2 and #3 to humble me and remind me that I will probably never have this figured out. LOL!

Hope you're able to find what clicks!

Monica