Menu

If you were interviewing a one-on-one aide for a special needs child....

What would you ask them?

DD5 is diagnosed PDD-NOS (Aspergers) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

She has been in daycare part time, since she was 5mo and in the past year has really been struggling while there. She used to be very difficult at home, but was great at daycare. That isn't the way it is any longer, so we are hiring a one-on-one aide to assist her while there. She is growing increasingly violent toward staff and other children. She really needs the social experiences and she loves daycare most of the day. The problem is, when she wants to do something other than what the group is doing, she gets explosive.

She has a behavior therapist and a psychiatrist and is being medicated. This isn't a first line attempt at helping her succeed, it is a final attempt to keep her in school, or they are going to have to kick her out of daycare/preschool. I really need her to go to school. I may homeschool her some, but I am her favorite target and being home all day with her, will not end well for either of us. Just keeping her home, is not an option. If it comes to that, we will need to disrupt the adoption.

The daycare is very willing to work with us. The daycare owner and I are going to be interviewing this week to hire the aide. It will be a tandem interview, so I would like to have some questions prepped to ask the candidates. There are 4 applicants that we have selected to interview thus far. 2 of them have strong college educations, but have the most experience in elementary/adults with disabilities. The other 2 have less formal credentials, but more experience with young children.

I have no idea where to start with putting questions together. Any ideas? The daycare provider will handle the questions relating specifically to employment, my questions will be more about the handling of issues with dd.

(Cross posted to special needs board)

Ask what your child's disorder means to them. It gives you a little insight to see if they see your child as nothing more than a paycheck or as someone who has potential to all kinds of things ( including trouble:001_smile:).

Also, ask if they have any real experience not just from books.

Give scenarios and ask what they would do?

Ask what type of behavior methods they use. If you have any you are against personally, ask nicely their opinions on those without saying what you think.

Also, ask if they are willing to go on the playground equipment, too. You kind would think this is common sense but apparently it is not.

I'd bring up "hypothetical" situations, (preferable things that have actually happened) and have them go through how they would handle them. Watch not only what they say, but how they say it. I'd also check with her social worker for any input they might have into handling the interview process.

Ask what your child's disorder means to them. It gives you a little insight to see if they see your child as nothing more than a paycheck or as someone who has potential to all kinds of things ( including trouble:001_smile:).

Ask what type of behavior methods they use. If you have any you are against personally, ask nicely their opinions on those without saying what you think.

Also, ask if they are willing to go on the playground equipment, too. You kind would think this is common sense but apparently it is not.

:iagree:Ask how they deal w/violent outbursts. What experience, specifically they've had and how they've dealt w/what ever issues concern you most.

This isn't so much about hiring, but have you considered a special needs daycare? We have some here geared toward ASD kiddos that are great - not sure if they have these all over though.

Just a thought - it might be she needs a different environment better suited to her.

There aren't any within realistic driving range. This particular daycare, while it isn't specifically special needs, works with a few kids on the spectrum. Our BT's son is Autistic, and she took him there for many, many years. They have the experience needed, just not the staff. They are really great about working with her and diffusing her tantrums, but they just don't have the staff to provide a one-on-one when she needs it. They have 10 kids and 2 teachers per room (a lower ratio than most daycares), and if one has to step out to deal with dd5, that leaves just one teacher to take care of all 10. If it was occasionally, they could work around it, using the director or receptionist as needed, but it is a several times a day occurrence.

Even if she was in a special needs daycare, they would still need a one-on-one for just her. We are working on getting her an IEP for next year when she goes to kindergarten.

I'm not sure I have any advice for you, but I would definitely check into Nancy Thomas resources. She has a TON of stuff on the internet for parents to give to people at schools. Maybe reading through some of her stuff will help you to come up with some questions? I'll do some digging around and post some links.

I want to apologize for being so far behind in calling you.:grouphug: The week I was going to I got sick, and I've had so much to deal with recently with dd8. She did fantastic over the holidays, but she's working overtime to pay us back now. :sad: I *so* understand not :being able to have your dd home with you all day. If I thought I'd get some relief by sending mine to school, I would totally do it. I am certain for us, though, that it would only make life more difficult. I have told dh that I'd disrupt OUR adoption before I ever put her in school. I feel that strongly about it.

:grouphug::grouphug::group:

Let me go do some digging around.

I would hire the most alert but calm person. I would watch each interact with your daughter.

Unfortuantely, it will take weeks for dd5 to warm up to anyone person. I will want to watch how they interact with her, but she won't interact back for a while. I will be able to see if they are able to come into her world, or if they are just going to stand back and let her be on her own. There are times when both are appropriate, but I guess knowing which they immediately go to for working with her will be interesting.

DD5 can be very, very abrasive. Imagine, the most rude teenager you could ever meet. Glaring. Rolling eyes. Negative interpersonal body language. Rude speech and vocal noises. She has it all in spades. She has huge dark brown eyes, a very expensive face and can cut a person down with one look. You really would think she was a teen ager sometimes. Then she can turn around and give the biggest smile and the sweetest hugs. Her giggle is very contagious and she loves to help people and take care of them.She loves to dance and can light up a room. It is the flipping between personas that is so hard. The person who takes care of her, needs to flip personalities all day to keep up with her..... depending on who dd5 is at the moment. Ugh! I get exhausted just thinking about her. lOL

I guess that is a point to talk about. How fluid their personality is!

I definitely think you should mention every single thing you just typed above. The person truly needs to learn to understand your dd and switch gears when your dd does.

This long letter that Nancy recommends to give teachers goes through a lot of behaviors that RAD kids have. It may not be beneficial to you at all, especially since your dd doesn't have RAD, but I'm wondering if you can get anything at all from it. Your dd does display a lot of behaviors that are RADish behaviors (lucky you!!!) so it may help. Here's the link just in case:

http://www.attachment.org/pages_teachers_letter.php

Ask them to describe their specific experiences working with kids like your DD.

Come up with several challenging scenarios that are common for your DD and ask the applicants how they would handle each one.

Ask them to describe their top three behavioral management techniques.

Ask them what they consider to be their strengths in working with special needs kids. Then, ask them what they find especially challenging in working with these kids.

Ask them why they're applying for the job.

If they worked in a similar setting previously, ask them why they left the last job.

Observe them with your DD.

Good luck! :)

With early identification a lot of school systems offer programs for 2-5 year olds with special needs. There is no cost to the family and the program is would have a certified special ed. teacher.

We have utilized Early Intervention to the extent that we have been allowed. She had OT for a couple of years, but they tell me they have taught me all that they can, and that from here on out, it is up to me. They say she still qualifies, due to her sensory needs/issues impacting quality of life, but they won't approve more therapy for her, because 'I know all they can teach me'. We have been trying to get her into the preschool program since fall, but we have been buried in a slew of red tape. We finally had her evaluation set up last week, and then the school was closed for a snow day, due to the fact that some of the school district is on hills and there was a puff of snow up there, they can't bus every kid, so they close the entire school district. :glare: She is 5yo, with a fall birthday, so they won't qualify her for more services until kindergarten next year, and then it is up to the school district. It is so late in the school year now, I am just trying to get her an IEP for next year, so we aren't battleing them in the fall, like we are now.

The funny thing is, her therapists say that she qualifies for services, we just can't access them.

I might add, the college-educated ones - would you be paying them enough to keep them if they found another job? SillyAutismMan had a GREAT aide when he was 6...until a month into the school year she got a full-time teaching job.

This is definitely a concern. No, we will not be paying them what they are worth. $10-12hr is all they will be paid, with no benefits. Jobs are hard to come by here right now. We had the job open for 4 hours and had a TON of responses. We had to take the posting down, just to wade through the resumes we did receive. The school districts here are not hiring, they are laying off. The two applicants with the highest credentials, have moved from out of state and there is no way to get hired here in education, if you don't already have an 'in' with the school district. Even substitutes are barely getting hours, because former full time teachers, are subbing.

Ask them to describe their specific experiences working with kids like your DD.

Come up with several challenging scenarios that are common for your DD and ask the applicants how they would handle each one.

Ask them to describe their top three behavioral management techniques.

Ask them what they consider to be their strengths in working with special needs kids. Then, ask them what they find especially challenging in working with these kids.

Ask them why they're applying for the job.

If they worked in a similar setting previously, ask them why they left the last job.

Observe them with your DD.

Good luck! :)

Thanks, I need lots of luck!

Jotting notes.....:001_smile:

I definitely think you should mention every single thing you just typed above. The person truly needs to learn to understand your dd and switch gears when your dd does.

This long letter that Nancy recommends to give teachers goes through a lot of behaviors that RAD kids have. It may not be beneficial to you at all, especially since your dd doesn't have RAD, but I'm wondering if you can get anything at all from it. Your dd does display a lot of behaviors that are RADish behaviors (lucky you!!!) so it may help. Here's the link just in case:

http://www.attachment.org/pages_teachers_letter.php

There are so many similarities between our girls. I searched an found a similar letter for Aspergers. Thanks for the ideas. I may use some of the letter for discussion points at the interview.

:D

I would hire the most alert but calm person. I would watch each interact with your daughter.

DO you think that I could get away with walking up and punching the applicants, just to see how they react? Maybe a kick in the shin, just for good measure? :D That would answer most of my interview questions, with just about 5 minutes of effort. I just need to see their immediate reaction, and then the time it takes them to respond, deal with the problem and calm down themselves down. How they deal with dd would be for the next interview. I really need to see the applicant's reaction first. LOL....but not really. If I could just explain that it was all in their best interest. :lol:

If they needed more than 5 minutes....they won't last anyways. It would really save a lot of effort on everyone's part.

Good thoughts, thank you!

I'd bring up "hypothetical" situations, (preferable things that have actually happened) and have them go through how they would handle them. Watch not only what they say, but how they say it. I'd also check with her social worker for any input they might have into handling the interview process.

I was hoping to talk to her BT before the interviews, but I won't have a chance. We may do a second set of interviews, depending on how the first set go, so I am considering having the BT be there before we finalize any hiring. She has an autistic son herself (who has a personal aide also), so she will likely have ideas to ask.

We have utilized Early Intervention to the extent that we have been allowed. She had OT for a couple of years, but they tell me they have taught me all that they can, and that from here on out, it is up to me. They say she still qualifies, due to her sensory needs/issues impacting quality of life, but they won't approve more therapy for her, because 'I know all they can teach me'. We have been trying to get her into the preschool program since fall, but we have been buried in a slew of red tape. We finally had her evaluation set up last week, and then the school was closed for a snow day, due to the fact that some of the school district is on hills and there was a puff of snow up there, they can't bus every kid, so they close the entire school district. :glare: She is 5yo, with a fall birthday, so they won't qualify her for more services until kindergarten next year, and then it is up to the school district. It is so late in the school year now, I am just trying to get her an IEP for next year, so we aren't battleing them in the fall, like we are now.

The funny thing is, her therapists say that she qualifies for services, we just can't access them.

Have you considered applying for SSI for her? Here it opens more therapy doors than an IEP because SSI will pay for private therapy via medicaid.

If your child is over 3 you might want to contact your local school district. If she has a diagnoses they need to offer her services and most districts around here have preschools that have the aides already in place. They are hired through the district and have had background checks and should be CPR certified. The preschools are usually free as it's a service. It might not be full time but it might be worth checking into. Our preschool is an inclusion preschool so they are not always just special needs schools. Our school takes kids until we break for the summer, there is no deadline on when a child can start preschool since they usually start at 3. And busing services should also be offered.

Good Luck.

I would push for the preschool. They are obligated to take her. We have no enrollment limits and can hire more aides as needed. We have three kids starting tomorrow and we will continue to enroll through May. There should not be a cut-off date for preschool. Lots of work can be done in 4 or 5 months and some schools also offer summer school.

Edited by fourcatmom