Menu

I have AoPS Pre-A and Lial's BCM...what text would be "in the middle"?

I just want to compare my options :D We have AoPS Pre-A, which is my first choice IF DS likes it. I think he will, but I don't know. So I wanted to have some other options lined up in case. I have Lial's BCM, but in some ways it seems too basic.

I am considering buying Lial's Pre-Algebra and Dolciani Pre-Alg: An Accelerated Course to compare. I can see some of Lial's online, and it seems a bit busy for my son. Is there anywhere I can view Dolciani Pre-A online? Or would I have to order it to really peruse?

TIA.

Lial's Prealgebra would be in the middle. My dd tried BCM last year and found it too much review. We ditched it mid-year, and the Prealgebra was just the step up she needed without being too much.

I don't have the AoPS Pre-Alg in hand yet (it's in the mail), but from what I've seen of it's S&S and my youngest playing with Alcumus, it's another big step up from even Lial's Prealgebra in terms of scope and depth.

Edited by matroyshka

Lial's Prealgebra would be in the middle. My dd tried BCM last year and found it too much review. The Prealgebra was just the step up she needed without being too much.

I don't have the AoPS Pre-Alg in hand yet (it's in the mail), but from what I've seen of it's S&S and my youngest playing with Alcumus, it's another big step up from even Lial's Prealgebra in terms of scope and depth.

Thank you. What are your thoughts on Dolciani? I have heard the word problems are very good, and similar to SM word problems. I just ordered a very inexpensive copy of Dolciani and am awaiting authorization to view the entire Lial's book online; hopefully I will be better able to compare once I have Dolciani in my hands.

Thank you. What are your thoughts on Dolciani? I have heard the word problems are very good, and similar to SM word problems. I just ordered a very inexpensive copy of Dolciani and am awaiting authorization to view the entire Lial's book online; hopefully I will be better able to compare once I have Dolciani in my hands.

Sorry, I've never actually seen a Dolciani book. Perhaps one of the only oft-recommended math curricula on this board that I haven't laid eyes on. Wait - I've never seen Perpendicular Press' Russian Math. well, except for online samples... :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, I've never actually seen a Dolciani book. Perhaps one of the only oft-recommended math curricula on this board that I haven't laid eyes on. Wait - I've never seen Perpendicular Press' Russian Math. well, except for online samples... :tongue_smilie:

Okay thanks! I am just about to push the buy button on the Lials Pre-A ..... I just can't decide if it's too busy visually for my son. _I_ like the way it looks-I am a visual learner, but I don't think he necessarily would. So hard to know. Maybe I'll wait to get Dolciani and see how I like it.

Okay thanks! I am just about to push the buy button on the Lials Pre-A ..... I just can't decide if it's too busy visually for my son. _I_ like the way it looks-I am a visual learner, but I don't think he necessarily would. So hard to know. Maybe I'll wait to get Dolciani and see how I like it.

I found the Lial's way too busy visually for me when I first looked at it (all the levels have the same layout), but I've warmed to it somewhat. I've figured out where to put my eyes now. :tongue_smilie: My dd uses it mostly on her own (and goes over it with her dad, not me) and she really likes it and is doing very well with it, so I'm happy.

My other dd is using Foerster's Algebra this year - the two-color format with more white space is much more up my alley - and hers. But I don't think there's a Foerster's Pre-Algebra.

The good news about the Lial's is that you can get it very, very cheap, so it won't be a lot of $ to get your hands on a copy to check out. The edition with the boardwalk on front is the one to get.

I found the Lial's way too busy visually for me when I first looked at it (all the levels have the same layout), but I've warmed to it somewhat. I've figured out where to put my eyes now. :tongue_smilie: My dd uses it mostly on her own (and goes over it with her dad, not me) and she really likes it and is doing very well with it, so I'm happy.

My other dd is using Foerster's Algebra this year - the two-color format with more white space is much more up my alley - and hers. But I don't think there's a Foerster's Pre-Algebra.

The good news about the Lial's is that you can get it very, very cheap, so it won't be a lot of $ to get your hands on a copy to check out. The edition with the boardwalk on front is the one to get.

Thanks so much. I am going to wait to receive my Dolciani, and see what I think, then decide whether to order the Lial's. Or I'll just cave and order it tonight. Either way. :lol:

THis one, right?

Edited by Halcyon

Yep. :) Used is fine, just make sure you get one where the description specifically says no interior markings, as lots of people use these as a worktext.

Hmmm. The one I bought didn't specifically say that. It didn't mention any markings. I will email the seller to confirm.

I see you've been busy on Amazon, lol.

Thank you. I like your approach of using multiple texts--i will look at Dolciani. Are you using this one?

Yes, that's the one. Somewhere around here, in an old post of mine, there's an ISBN for the teacher's edition. The '85 book was published again in '88, and I think so was the teacher's edition, so I think those two years are interchangable. It's not necessarily crucial or anything; the odd answers are in the back of the student text, and there seem to be enough problems that, at least most of the time, you probably wouldn't be wanting both the odds and evens.

Now you have me curious as to what was in Lial's Prealgebra, LOL (yep, I have that too, right over there in the office... what prealgebra don't I own :tongue_smilie:).

I don't like Lial's prealgebra texts. I'm teaching from a Lial text at the cc and although here explanations of algebra are good, I find the prealgebra topics generally poorly explained.

I'd go with the Dolciani if you don't use AoPS.

I see you've been busy on Amazon, lol.

Yes, that's the one. Somewhere around here, in an old post of mine, there's an ISBN for the teacher's edition. The '85 book was published again in '88, and I think so was the teacher's edition, so I think those two years are interchangable. It's not necessarily crucial or anything; the odd answers are in the back of the student text, and there seem to be enough problems that, at least most of the time, you probably wouldn't be wanting both the odds and evens.

Now you have me curious as to what was in Lial's Prealgebra, LOL (yep, I have that too, right over there in the office... what prealgebra don't I own :tongue_smilie:).

Ha! I'll own four by the time I get these ones in the mail. I'll definitely be able to compare them then.:lol:

ETA: Oh, I found that old post of yours-that's how I knew what to buy :)

I don't like Lial's prealgebra texts. I'm teaching from a Lial text at the cc and although here explanations of algebra are good, I find the prealgebra topics generally poorly explained.

I'd go with the Dolciani if you don't use AoPS.

Thanks Dana for your insight. I am getting both Lials and Dolciani in the mail soon, so I'll be able to compare. Something in me is leaning towards Dolciani if AoPS isnt' a fit...just based on what I've read here, though, as I haven't ever seen the book.

Ha! I'll own four by the time I get these ones in the mail. I'll definitely be able to compare them then.:lol:

ETA: Oh, I found that old post of yours-that's how I knew what to buy :)

Let us know what you think once you get them. We went with Lial's Pre-A once AoPS didn't work out, but I would love to know how they all compare.

Let us know what you think once you get them. We went with Lial's Pre-A once AoPS didn't work out, but I would love to know how they all compare.

Will do. I am hoping AoPS will be a fit, but don't want to be struggling in the middle of the school year to find a replacement text if it isn't. Plus, I just like looking at these books, and I often find one book's explanation can clarify a concept better than another.

At least that's how I justify having them all.:lol:

Do you have a link for Dolciani?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039543050X/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details This is the one I purchased. From what i've read on the boards, it has word problems that are similar to SM, and the text on the page is less busy and visually distracting than Lials. Given that my son dislikes DK books (they're too visually distracting) so I am thinking Dolciani might be a nice alternative to AoPS if need be.

Jumping in here with a Dolciani question. I picked up a very old (1965) Dolciani algebra book on the library's free table. Does anyone know if there will be lots of differences between that and newer editions? TIA.

I know I read some threads on the board about this--I can't look know, but if you do a search for Dolciani you might be able to find them.

Ha I had bookmarked wapiti's post about ISBNs :lol:

Originally Posted by wapiti viewpost.gif

The ISBN for the 1985/1988 Teacher's Edition for Dolciani's Prealgebra: An Accelerated Course is 0395430518 and appears to be available used at Amazon.

The student text is 039543050X.

I have both books.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to quote another quote.

So, the teacher's edition is really expensive right now. Is $60 about the right price for this book?

Thank you for researching and sharing with us. Since the teacher's edition is just too expensive, I'm fine with just checking the odd answers quickly and working through the even problems with DD.

Thank you for researching and sharing with us. Since the teacher's edition is just too expensive, I'm fine with just checking the odd answers quickly and working through the even problems with DD.

:confused: The Teacher's Edition starts at $2.40 used. ETA, check ISBNs carefully - the Amazon tabs are confusing - I'd email these sellers to confirm ISBN and teacher edition. I bought the teacher's edition at Follet but they're out of stock. FWIW, I think there might be two different ISBNs for the right teacher edition 1985 or 1988). Let me hunt a bit more.

Edited by wapiti

:confused: The Teacher's Edition starts at $2.40 used. ETA, check ISBNs carefully - the Amazon tabs are confusing. I bought the teacher's edition at Follet but they're out of stock. FWIW, I think there might be two different ISBNs for the right teacher edition 1985 or 1988). Let me hunt a bit more.

I'm just using the ISBN from your research. The library edition which is $2.40 has a different ISBN. I checked on dealoz.com just using the that particular ISBN and they are all too pricey for me.

Does the Teacher's Edition provide more than answers, like an explanation on how each problem is solved? If it doesn't, I don't think I will need it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I thought the library edition had to do with the binding and material and not the content of a book.

It should. But I've had some weird things happen on Amazon with regard to those little tabs of the different editions - sometimes the sellers mix up the ISBNs. (e.g. I recently received a teacher edition of a history book when I clearly ordered the student book. Fortunately the seller corrected their mistake.)

It should. But I've had some weird things happen on Amazon with regard to those little tabs of the different editions - sometimes the sellers mix up the ISBNs. (e.g. I recently received a teacher edition of a history book when I clearly ordered the student book. Fortunately the seller corrected their mistake.)

Yep, I've had the same problem, not just with Amazon, but with almost every website where I've bought used books.

I'm just using the ISBN from your research. The library edition which is $2.40 has a different ISBN. I checked on dealoz.com just using the that particular ISBN and they are all too pricey for me.

Does the Teacher's Edition provide more than answers, like an explanation on how each problem is solved? If it doesn't, I don't think I will need it.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm a bit dumb sometimes - pleeease tell me how you figured out that the library edition has a different ISBN. When I'm at that tab, I haven't been able to figure out how to confirm the ISBN of a used listing - was it just "return to product information" or is there someplace to click on an individual used listing?

That's what I was afraid of. I'm a bit dumb sometimes - pleeease tell me how you figured out that the library edition has a different ISBN. When I'm at that tab, I haven't been able to figure out how to confirm the ISBN of a used listing - was it just "return to product information" or is there someplace to click on an individual used listing?

Yes, you can click on "return to product information," but before I even get to the list of used prices, I click on "library edition" on this TE page and scroll to Product Details for ISBN. Is that what you're asking?

Maybe the library edition is also the teacher's edition with a different binding....Just from past experience, I'm unwilling to buy anything other than what is associated with the right ISBN because it's a hassle to contact a seller.

Yes, you can click on "return to product information," but before I even get to the list of used prices, I click on "library edition" on this TE page and scroll to Product Details for ISBN. Is that what you're asking?

Maybe the library edition is also the teacher's edition with a different binding....Just from past experience, I'm unwilling to buy anything other than what is associated with the right ISBN because it's a hassle to contact a seller.

FWIW, amazon appears to have a solution manual for $21, not that I think it's necessary unless someone wants to do the evens http://www.amazon.com/Solution-Key-Pre-Algebra-Accelerated-Course/dp/0395359899/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326829697&sr=1-4

and there are used teacher editions from the early 90s but I have no idea how well they'd line up http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-Accelerated-Mary-P-Dolciani/dp/0395591244/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326829697&sr=1-5

Thanks Dana for your insight. I am getting both Lials and Dolciani in the mail soon, so I'll be able to compare. Something in me is leaning towards Dolciani if AoPS isnt' a fit...just based on what I've read here, though, as I haven't ever seen the book.

By the way, I was looking through Lial's Pre-A just now, and it appears to teach finding square roots of non-perfect squares only by using the calculator. Dolciani teaches the old-fashioned way of approximating square roots without a table.

By the way, I was looking through Lial's Pre-A just now, and it appears to teach finding square roots of non-perfect squares only by using the calculator. Dolciani teaches the old-fashioned way of approximating square roots without a table.

Ah, this is a big deal for me. I don't plan on introducing extensive calculator use until absolutely necessary.

I just wish there was a way to see Dolciani online. I'm itching for a peek, and with Media Mail, who knows when my hard copy will get here!

You'll have to let me know what you think. Maybe I should just order a copy. It's pretty cheap used.

Let's try this... It's not exactly a representative sample, though I'm not sure what would be most helpful to see. E.g., the word problem lesson here is preceded by three other individual lessons, really breaking down the steps into tiny bites. I think this might be great for those who need explicit instruction.

The teaching is quite clear. It seems easier than AoPS, but different - more practice calculating.

eta, I added a couple more - I'm thinking I may un-attach these later, if it's too much. So, enjoy for now.

Edited by wapiti

I recently purchased Lial's Pre-A (third ed.) as well to check it out. I also ordered the DVD with lectures which the book references inside. *However* the more I look at the text as well as my wife the less we like the visual noise on the page. It just makes learning more difficult IMO. This is already a bid leap going from primary to secondary math. Why make it more difficult to understand due to poor layout choices and small print? Of course my son could probably get used to it. But I am also ordering some other options to check out first.

Initially I've decided to use MUS Pre-A with honors questions since our children really like the MUS DVD lessons. And their books are very non-clutered which makes learning difficult material easier.

I also plan to introduce AoPS at some point but wanted to start out with some something else first. Along with that I ordered Hands on Equations to help all build the mental bridge to abstract thinking.

Edited by dereksurfs

Let's try this... It's not exactly a representative sample, though I'm not sure what would be most helpful to see. E.g., the word problem lesson here is preceded by three other individual lessons, really breaking down the steps into tiny bites. I think this might be great for those who need explicit instruction.

The teaching is quite clear. It seems easier than AoPS, but different - more practice calculating.

Thank you! I love the way it teaches the problems step-by-step.

eta, I added a couple more - I'm thinking I may un-attach these later, if it's too much. So, enjoy for now.

This text looks much better than Lial's Pre-A in terms of overall layout and readability.

How does AoPS Pre-A page layout look? Is there less white space on the page and smaller print, kind of like a college textbook?

I may order it just to review it which will help me assess the best time to introduce it.

Thanks,

Edited by dereksurfs

This text looks much better than Lial's Pre-A in terms of overall layout and readability.

How does AoPS Pre-A page payout look? Is there less white space on the page and smaller print, kind of like a college textbook?

I may order it just to review it which will help me assess the best time to introduce it.

Thanks,

AoPS has bigger print, a nice 12-pt font (at least). But, it's wordy. Be aware that it's a completely different approach, discovery rather than direct instruction. See the samples here, under the excerpts tab. (I still love AoPS though, and it makes sense to me that I ought to add in some exercises from AoPS if we have the time.)

Thank you! This is really helpful. Personally, I love the step-by-step way they're laying it out. I think the word problems are absolutely doable to a child who is familiar with Singapore....in fact I found myself solving them using bar models :lol:. It doesn't seem as exciting as AoPS, though. I am glad I ordered it...based on what you posted, it looks like a good back-up plan for us. Like I said, I ordered Lial's Pre-A too, so we'll see whether that would be a fit. My guess is, given the comments about the visual overload, my son won't like it.

ETA: And it definitely doesn't look as challenging as AoPS, but not in a negative way. It looks very....practical, whereas AoPS seems more abstract. Does that make sense?

Edited by Halcyon

AoPS has bigger print, a nice 12-pt font (at least). But, it's wordy. Be aware that it's a completely different approach, discovery rather than direct instruction. See the samples here, under the excerpts tab. (I still love AoPS though, and it makes sense to me that I ought to add in some exercises from AoPS if we have the time.)

You can see previews here. It's more wordy, to be sure. It might be possible to do a combo of Dolciani and AoPS (seems I will never be able to give up tweaking things......:tongue_smilie:)

Thank you so much. I like the looks of it.

My son doesn't need explicit instruction, OTOH--he can jump into most CWP problems without much explanation, if any. But I think there's a chance he'll need more than AoPS provides. I could be wrong. Time will tell.

We have our ups and downs with AoPS. It isn't feeling quite right, but I can't put my finger on why.

I would be really interested in hearing more about this. My older ds went straight from SM 5B to AoPS Algebra (there was no prealgebra then) and come June, it will have taken him 2.5 years to finish. My next boy is not quite as mathy, and I am trying to get a feel for whether he will do AoPS at all. If he does, perhaps doing Dolcani Prealgebra then AoPS algebra might allow him to mature before hitting a wordy text.

is it the wordiness that is the problem with the prealgebra?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

What about answers though? Are they in the back of the book? Is there an answer book out there somewhere?

The answers to all the odds are in the back of the book, except for the chapter tests. The TM is on the expensive side and not particularly necessary (I have it, bought it a long while ago for cheap). We were discussing this earlier in this(?) thread - there was one solution key on amazon.

I'm still torn on what we're going to do, but we may end up using the Dolciani with occasional exercises from AoPS, such as the chapter summaries. Or, we could use AoPS with occasional direct instruction from Dolciani :lol:. There may be a few random things not taught in one book or the other, but for the most part I think the topics are the same. I think the Dolciani is well within dd's ability for now, and the AoPS would be for stretching. We just have this issue with finishing in May. I suppose we could do Dolciani between now and then, finishing it in May easily, and then doing some of the exercises from AoPS over the summer... Or, we could plug along with AoPS, as long as we finished ch 14 by mid-May...:tongue_smilie:. I'm thinking the first option, for dd's sanity (and therefore my own ;)).

Hm. There doesn't seem to be an answer key available unless I want to pay a million dollars. I don't know that I want to use a book without that. I think that would drive me crazy.

That depends on whether you'd need the even problems. There are a LOT of problems.

I don't know what the problem is.

I don't think it is the wordiness. I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

I think possibly the problem is that "I" don't like the way things are presented.

For some weird reason it reminds me of BFSU--great content in need of an editor.

Comparing AoPS and the Dolciani, the treatment of exponents is light in the Dolciani. We've already been through that chapter in AoPS (which rocked though I'm not sure dd agrees lol).

(Also, for anyone listening in, we're talking about the mid-80s prealgebra text, which is different from the 60s/70s)

I need to spend some quality time making a comparison list.

Comparing AoPS and the Dolciani, the treatment of exponents is light in the Dolciani. We've already been through that chapter in AoPS (which rocked though I'm not sure dd agrees lol).

(Also, for anyone listening in, we're talking about the mid-80s prealgebra text, which is different from the 60s/70s)

I need to spend some quality time making a comparison list.

This is good to know. When I get all the books in the mail I am going to do a side-by-side.

I have been using the Jacobs Algebra for extra review with the AoPS Prealgebra. We used it alongside the chapter on exponents, I think it was Chapter 8 in Jacobs if I remember correctly.

So using AoPS pre A along with another text has been going okay? :bigear: