Menu

What is your chicken soup recipe?

What chicken soup do you make with the chicken carcass? I'm roasting a chicken tonight (alas, Chucki, not a squirrel) and I want to make soup this week. I do nearly always get broth from my carcass when it's finished, but I don't really have a well-thought-out recipe for chicken soup.

My MIL makes soup this way and, while I like her soup okay, it's not something I actively crave if you KWIM. She doesn't have chicken meat in hers and she makes egg-drop noodles. It's more like vegetable soup in a chicken broth. The soups I really like are more like stew, with a lower ratio of broth to vegetables and with big noodles. Anyone have a recipe like that they want to share?

I don't have a recipe per se, but I make chicken soup out of the carcass every time I make chicken. Here's what I do:

Put all left over chicken bones, skin, drippings, and assorted parts in a pot with water, and simmer for a long time.

Cool enough to handle and strain out the bones and parts. Pick all the meet off the bones, and discard the bones and skin.

Add onions, carrots, celery, any left over chicken bits, mushrooms, and any other veggies you have on hand. Simmer until veggies are tender. Add noodles whenever you want. (I don't do wheat, so no noodles for me! But sometimes I put home made noodles in part of the soup for the kids.

I use a Costco Rotisserie chicken, make dinner with it one meal, then completely strip the meat off and freeze the meat in 2-3 baggies for later use. Then later, like the next day when I have time, I put the carcass and some skin in my crock pot, with a good handful of salt, 3 ribs of celery, 3 carrots, one whole onion, and about 8 cloves of garlic, crushed. I also toss in at lease a tablespoon of poutry seasoning (I like that sage-y flavor) and sometimes even a teaspoon of Herbs de Provance (sp?). Cover it all with water and let it go 8-10 hours on low.

Strain out the broth. Keep some out for soup, and some for freezing for other things. Last time I did this it made 14 cups of stock.

For my soup I saute carrot, celery, onion, garlic, in EVOO, then pour in about 5 cups of stock and one pkg of the chicken that was frozen, it's shredded. Bring to a boil and simmer a while. I taste for salt and seasonings. Towards the end I add cooked egg noodles and pepper. I cook them first (usually keep lots of cooked pasta on hand in the freezer) so they don't soak up all my stock. But one time I just dumped in the dry noodles. It soaked up some stock and thickened it like what Racheal Ray calls a "stoup". My DH said it was the best chicken soup he's ever had! Just have some extra cans of broth or some of your stock on hand because you might need to loosen it up a bit. It concentrates the flavors wonderfully!

I make chicken soup and then make stock out of the bones. I boil a chicken in my "chicken soup pot" (I think it's like an 8qt pot) until it's cooked, and then remove it and take all the meat off the bones. The meat gets chopped up some and put back in the pot, along with carrots and celery, salt and some pepper. That gets cooked just til the veggies are cooked, then cooled and frozen for later. I'll usually make homemade noodles when we have the soup, or if I'm pressed for time, dumplings.

With the bones, I cook them in my 6qt roaster on about 200F for 12-24 hours with water to make stock. I don't usually add any veggies. I use the stock for things like white sauce, gravies, extra flavor instead of water, etc.

I make chicken soup and then make stock out of the bones. I boil a chicken in my "chicken soup pot" (I think it's like an 8qt pot) until it's cooked, and then remove it and take all the meat off the bones. The meat gets chopped up some and put back in the pot, along with carrots and celery, salt and some pepper. That gets cooked just til the veggies are cooked, then cooled and frozen for later. I'll usually make homemade noodles when we have the soup, or if I'm pressed for time, dumplings.

With the bones, I cook them in my 6qt roaster on about 200F for 12-24 hours with water to make stock. I don't usually add any veggies. I use the stock for things like white sauce, gravies, extra flavor instead of water, etc.

Wait. I'm confused. So, you're saying you start out the chicken with the intention that it's going to be soup? The soup is the primary meal, but you make a few different bases for the soup and freeze them for later? Do you add in some of the broth from the carcass boiling part?

When I make chicken stew for either chicken and dumplins or chicken curry stew I don't measure. :D

So I make broth and freeze half of it for later.

Into the broth goes chicken, carrots, green peas, potatoes, celery, onion, bell peppers and minced garlic. That gently simmers until the potatoes and carrots are tender.

Then I thicken it all up with a water and flour mixture. Again I don't measure. It depends on how much I'm making. You can start with half a cup of flour and enough water to make a smooth mixture. Maybe 2/3 cup of water. I add hot soup to the flour mixture and stir, then I quickly whisk it back into the soup to make stew. If you stew is too thin, make some more flour/water mix.

If you want egg noodles add them 5 minutes before thickening up your stew. If you want to add dumplins you can cook them in the stew. If you want curry chicken stew add 2-3 tablespoons curry powder to the soup.

Oh, add salt and pepper. Probably more salt than you would think okay. Add a little and taste. Repeat as necessary. Up to a full teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half depending on water content.

Wait. I'm confused. So, you're saying you start out the chicken with the intention that it's going to be soup? The soup is the primary meal, but you make a few different bases for the soup and freeze them for later? Do you add in some of the broth from the carcass boiling part?

Yes, this chicken is intended for soup. I use the water that I boiled the chicken in for the soup (it's removed only to debone it and the meat goes back in that pot).

And then I take the carcass/bones (I don't leave much meat on them) and make stock for other recipes. I don't put any of this stock into the previous soup.

Now, don't ask why I do it this way - I've just made soup that way for years (after recalling how my grandma made it when I was a child). I didn't always save the bones for stock - that's a more recent thing, but it seems to work out well :)

When I make chicken stew for either chicken and dumplins or chicken curry stew I don't measure. :D

So I make broth and freeze half of it for later.

Into the broth goes chicken, carrots, green peas, potatoes, celery, onion, bell peppers and minced garlic. That gently simmers until the potatoes and carrots are tender.

Then I thicken it all up with a water and flour mixture. Again I don't measure. It depends on how much I'm making. You can start with half a cup of flour and enough water to make a smooth mixture. Maybe 2/3 cup of water. I add hot soup to the flour mixture and stir, then I quickly whisk it back into the soup to make stew. If you stew is too thin, make some more flour/water mix.

If you want egg noodles add them 5 minutes before thickening up your stew. If you want to add dumplins you can cook them in the stew. If you want curry chicken stew add 2-3 tablespoons curry powder to the soup.

Oh, add salt and pepper. Probably more salt than you would think okay. Add a little and taste. Repeat as necessary. Up to a full teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half depending on water content.

That sounds really nummy!

Yes, this chicken is intended for soup. I use the water that I boiled the chicken in for the soup (it's removed only to debone it and the meat goes back in that pot).

And then I take the carcass/bones (I don't leave much meat on them) and make stock for other recipes. I don't put any of this stock into the previous soup.

Now, don't ask why I do it this way - I've just made soup that way for years (after recalling how my grandma made it when I was a child). I didn't always save the bones for stock - that's a more recent thing, but it seems to work out well :)

Oh, okay. I get it. I like to get a roasted chicken meal out of it before it becomes something else, but I see what you're saying. I have been boiling the carcass for years and saving the stock in smallish freezer portions for applications such as you pointed out.

1) Simmer 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in 1 1/2 qt. salted water until tender. (Use more water if you like "soupier" soup, less if you like it thick & hearty.)

2) Dice the chicken into small pieces and set chicken aside.

3) To the broth, add diced celery, onion, and carrot. Simmer until barely tender.

4) Bring broth mixture to boil and add 2 cups uncooked egg noodles. Cook until noodles are almost done (about 5 minutes).

5) Stir in 1 can cream of chicken soup (OR make your own homemade--recipe below) and cook until noodles are done (about 5 more minutes).

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter (or use margarine or cooking oil).

2. Add 1/3 cup flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined.

3. Slowly add 3/4 cup milk & 3/4 cup chicken broth, stirring constantly as it thickens.

4. Add salt if desired.

6) Add extra broth if the soup is too thick.

Edited by ereks mom

I take a whole chicken and put it in a large pot and cover it with water. I bring it to a boil, cover, and simmer it for 2 hours. I take the chicken out, set it aside to cool. When it is cool, I take all the chicken meat off the bones and put it back in the broth. I add in:

2 onions, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

4 carrots, chopped

10 baby red poatotes, quartered

1/4 cup chopped parsley

4 cloves garlic

2 containers Knorr jelled stock

6-8 cups water

1 tsp white pepper

1 bay leaf

I bring it back to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. I add in

1 cup frozen peas

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup frozen green beans

and I bring it back to a boil (again) and simmer another 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. I serve it over noodles or while rice or topped with dumplings.

I am a full believer in simmering the carcass. One onion, skin on, celery, leaves and all, two carrots. A bay leaf, salt, and pepper to taste. Thyme and one tbsp of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar.

If you boil it, you'll get a cloudy stock. I love a golden stock, so no boiling.

Sometimes I use a fryer, whole, for the soup when I want lots of meat. But I use the carcass for simple soups.

Most of the time, what happens around here is that I have to roast two chickens for a dinner and we'll eat one and a half. So into the stock pot go both carcasses, and I'll strip the one of the rest of it's meat for the soup.

Chicken soup is with Jewish Egg noodles (Or Pastina!), stock, celery, carrots (this is after I've made the stock with the celery and carrots, too), diced tomatoes and meat. At the last minute, I'll squeeze some lemon into each bowl, top with grated cheese, and pepper. The lemon squeeze makes it super bright and yummy.

Edited by justamouse

What chicken soup do you make with the chicken carcass? I'm roasting a chicken tonight (alas, Chucki, not a squirrel) and I want to make soup this week. I do nearly always get broth from my carcass when it's finished, but I don't really have a well-thought-out recipe for chicken soup.

My MIL makes soup this way and, while I like her soup okay, it's not something I actively crave if you KWIM. She doesn't have chicken meat in hers and she makes egg-drop noodles. It's more like vegetable soup in a chicken broth. The soups I really like are more like stew, with a lower ratio of broth to vegetables and with big noodles. Anyone have a recipe like that they want to share?

I make stock from the bones -onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper get tossed in the crockpot with the bones. Top off with water and let cook all night.

Strain, cool refrigerate till you need to make soup the next day.

Skim the fat, heat the broth, and begin again. If the broth tastes great, your soup will be great. If it tastes weak, reduce it a bit before adding ingredients. I REPEAT if your broth is great, your soup will be great.

Next, just add what you like . . . Chunks of leftover chicken Can be reserved and added towards the end (or chop up a raw breast or two and toss it in . . . this is the yummier, but less cost effective option) and add your veggies to cook. Season and taste. I like LOTS of Italian seasoning in mine. I'm also not afraid of white pepper. When it's tasting pretty perfect, add your wide noodles and reserved chicken.

If your broth:stuff ratio is getting low, add a cup of water and boil before you add the noodles, but since you seem to prefer this ratio, you can probably skip this part.