Menu

Oh help... please help with grammar...

Mynyel

I am at a total loss and feeling oh so inadequate.

Math I can figure out if I don't know it. Grammar? I want to run away and hide.

I have been *trying* to use Analytical Grammar with dd14 but to no avail. Both of us are :confused::confused: over a lot of the material and frankly the expliantions (or lack thereof)... suck (for lack of a better way of explaining it right now).

Did I mention we are only in unit 2?

I need a baby step (very baby step) grammar program. Tried MCT, *I* liked it, dd.. not so much. Tried Easy Grammar, had the same problem as with AG, the explinations were not thorough enough. I was left :confused:. I have tried LLATL, which was OK but didn't seem to be teaching to much grammar at all.

So what am I left with? I *NEED* explanations. Detailed explanations! With pictures! ;) Seriously though, I need details. Don't just say these are indefinite pronouns and give a list. *WHY* are they indefinite pronouns?

Does *anyone* have any suggestions? Do I need JAG, the level before AG? Do I need a totally different program?

:banghead: Help a girl out here! :D

Easy Grammar.

An "indefinite" pronoun would be one that isn't specific. He or she--definite. You know it's a male or female, and it often refers to a specific person. An indefinite pronoun isn't specific--someone, anyone, anything. Indefinite. See?

Easy Grammar.

An "indefinite" pronoun would be one that isn't specific. He or she--definite. You know it's a male or female, and it often refers to a specific person. An indefinite pronoun isn't specific--someone, anyone, anything. Indefinite. See?

See I tried easy grammar and didn't find the explanations very good. Was I missing something? Let me search for the book I had and will post a link. I don't have it any more.

Ah yes, I remember it being pink :) http://www.easygrammar.com/eg5.html

Edited by Mynyel

Have you thought about just using a grammar dictionary\glossary online or purchasing a reference book?

I used R&S for awhile (switching to Hake now) which is considered one of the more thorough in it's explanations and I still sometimes had to look to a reference for clarification and additional explanation.

I am at a total loss and feeling oh so inadequate...Don't just say these are indefinite pronouns and give a list. *WHY* are they indefinite pronouns?

Why do you need to know terminology like "indefinite pronouns", especially if it's only unit 2? I'd rather focus on how sentences are put together to make sense than learn a lot of jargon. Have you considered KISS Grammar?

Check out English Grammar for students by the Singapore Math people. Since English is a foreign language for them, they come at grammar explanations in a slightly different way from your typical English grammar book.

I looked up Indefinite Pronouns, and this is what it says: The words anyone, someone, everyone, and no-one are called indefinite pronouns. You use indefinite pronouns when you are not referring to any particular person. You can also use the forms anybody, somebody, everybody, and nobody.

Why do you need to know terminology like "indefinite pronouns", especially if it's only unit 2? I'd rather focus on how sentences are put together to make sense than learn a lot of jargon. Have you considered KISS Grammar?

Even if you don't remember the term "indefinite pronouns," you need to know them when you meet them so that your sentences make sense. It does make a difference. :)

I would check out Rod and Staff. It's great! I am a huge Easy Grammar fan, but if EG isn't working for you I'd try R&S.

I just had a long grammar discussion with a lady at our homeschool store, and I walked out with Rod and Staff. I think it is just what I was looking for. Explanations are given, and then the student does the exercises. I like the way the book is organized -- it makes sense to me. I didn't like the way the Easy Grammar books were laid out, but I liked other things about the program, like how it teaches prepositional phrases first. I almost bought it, but in the end, Rod and Staff won out. I did buy the Daily Grams to go along with it, however. My son is in 6th grade, and I did the grade 5 daily grams and the Grade 4 Rod and Staff. He has not had much formal grammar instruction (he's more intuitive about language), so I felt this would be a good place to start.

I would check out Rod and Staff. It's great! I am a huge Easy Grammar fan, but if EG isn't working for you I'd try R&S.

ITA, but I think the problem is that the EG she's talking about is this one:

DGTR2.jpg

which is a 3rd grade-level book, and is really Daily Grams. No wonder she's not getting anything out of it. She needs to be doing this one:

egp.jpg

ITA, but I think the problem is that the EG she's talking about is this one:

DGTR2.jpg

which is a 3rd grade-level book, and is really Daily Grams. No wonder she's not getting anything out of it. She needs to be doing this one:

egp.jpg

No... it was the 5th grade one we tried :) I thought it was pink... or pinkish? Bah I don't remember.. it was in the link I posted.

I am looking into it again, I am going to see if I can find a well used one to look at or if someone has one I can look at.

I will say the AG people are on it. I emailed them (through the contact form on the website) about the issues I was having and they called me within an hour or so! I didn't answer :tongue_smilie: didn't recognize the number. They then emailed to say they called! So I am also going to talk to them. If I can get what I already spent money on the work then I am all for it! :)

However I am going to keep EG in the wings, just in case!

Oh, ok...I didn't look past the first "pink" book, lol.

Here:

EG5TED.jpg

Turns out that it is also pink. Who knew? :D

Have you contacted the Easy Grammar people? :)

Not yet but I will :) I am waiting to see what the AG people tell me first.

Have you tried online sites for explanations and examples? Here are a couple of good sites with explanations.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

http://chompchomp.com/exercises.htm

I hope this helps!

I did look up a couple things on the net, but what is the point of having a grammar curriculum if I have to go to the net for all the explinations? What did I pay for? :) I am a one stop shop (for the most part, I do supplement my shopping now and again!) kind of gal.:D

Even if you don't remember the term "indefinite pronouns," you need to know them when you meet them so that your sentences make sense. It does make a difference. :)

Well, that depends on what you mean by "need to know them." You definitely need to be able to see how the word is working in the sentence, to be able to recognize whether it is a subject or the object of a preposition or a direct object or whatever. But my big complaint about the grammar programs I've tried is that they give you a huge pile of jargon to memorize, with only the simplest of sentences to analyze -- sentences that are made just for the exercise and that therefore fit the rules they have decided to teach.

KISS Grammar is different because it teaches students to analyze real sentences. So, for instance, a middle school student like my daughter may never have heard the terms "definite pronoun" or "indefinite pronoun", but she can identify all the nested subordinate clauses in a sentence like this and explain exactly what role each clause is playing in the sentence.

[Quoting from the
of KISS Grammar, which is approximately the 3rd year of study. The red lines are part of the marking that the student does in analyzing the sentence: vertical lines mark the end of a main clause, while square brackets surround the subordinate clauses.]

... But consider the following sentence from the children's book
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic
, by Betty MacDonald:
Mrs. Jones looked at him suspiciously
|
but he widened his large blue eyes
|
and --
[
as
he was only eight years old, a little small for his age and seemed even smaller in ten-year-old Jan's pajamas,
[
which
he had swiped the night before
[
because
he had forgotten
[
that
he had stuffed his own in the window seat
[
when
he was cleaning up his half of the room
]]]]]
-- Mrs. Jones convinced herself
[
that
he wasn't fooling
]
and let him go out to play.
|

That sentence contains three main clauses and six subordinate clauses. And note the five closing brackets after "room." Those subordinate clauses are stacked five deep. And by the time they have mastered KISS Level 3.1.3, students should be able to identify every one of them! ...

Well, I was pretty much starting from scratch with learning formal grammar terms with my son last year and I chose Hake. I think the explanations are very thorough. The explanations are followed by examples and practice problems. There is a lot of practice built into the lessons. Another feature I like is that the corresponding lesson number is written next to each problem in the lesson, so if you've forgotten something, you can go back and quickly review.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

See I tried easy grammar and didn't find the explanations very good. Was I missing something? Let me search for the book I had and will post a link. I don't have it any more.

Were you using the Teacher's Guide, or just the Workbook? The TG has detailed explanations (sometimes 2-3 pages per concept), whereas the Workbook just has "do this" and maybe a sentence of explanation on top of the page of exercises, which are meant to be done after the teaching - those are just instructions for the worksheet, not explanations of the grammatical concepts. I wouldn't use EG without the TG.