Menu

I want to do some standardized testing on my kids - which test(s) to choose-

It's been many years since we've tested (other than college entrance type stuff), but I liked the ITBS because of the score report details.

You may wish to check out sample score reports for the various tests and see which one has the best score report for you; I mean, the one that breaks down information in the chunks you, in particular, will find useful.

It's been many years since we've tested (other than college entrance type stuff), but I liked the ITBS because of the score report details.

You may wish to check out sample score reports for the various tests and see which one has the best score report for you; I mean, the one that breaks down information in the chunks you, in particular, will find useful.

:iagree:

Some of the cheaper/shorter tests don't really give much beyond a single score in math and one in English. Something like the ITBS breaks things down into more specific areas, which gives you much more info that's actually useful, e.g. punctuation vs. vocab vs. usage, math concepts vs. math computation, and so on.

My web site's "testing" page might be helpful to you, even if you're not in my state; I list a bunch of test providers and some info about the different tests.

Oh yeah, one more reason I like the detailed breakdown of the ITBS: if my student didn't score well in a certain subject, it was easy to see why.

For example, I don't think it's uncommon for a SOTW kid to not ace the social studies section. But if you look at the breakdown of the type of knowledge the ITBS (or any standardized tests for young elementary grades, for that matter), you'll perceive the kids are tested on community helpers, etc. Your kid can tell you all about Constantine, but might not think much about the local grocer, kwim? Anyway, when I could see that certain knowledge areas had low scores, it was comforting to think, "That's okay, I wouldn't have *expected* my kid to know what we haven't studied!"

Last year I tested my girls (2nd and 4th) using the Iowa tests. I got them through BJU. I was please with the whole thing.

I've done the CAT for 3 years now and it's been a good experience.

But I think we're ready for something more. They'll be taking the Iowa Tests this year.

The CAT is an average score. It's not even your child's average. It's their average based on all the other kids in their grades who took the CAT.

I want something specific from the test score for my child. But I also still need to be able to do the testing in our home. I'm pretty sure my oldest would do well testing elsewhere. But my other kids would be entirely distracted. "Mom, did you know we got to do recess?!!!"

After using CAT for years I did the ITBS. And I liked it much better. Instead of just a number I had information about the testing. It broke every area into detailed sections. Like my son had issues with blends at the beginning of words. but not the ends of words. Very detailed. I was glad for that information. And while I like the simplicity of CAT, the ITBS gave me much more productive information than just a score to turn in to the state that we will use it again this year.

The CAT is an average score. It's not even your child's average. It's their average based on all the other kids in their grades who took the CAT.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Most standardized tests give:

--A raw score - the number your child got right out of the number of questions in that section, so say 34/45 would mean 34 right out of 45 questions.

--The grade level - if, say, the child scored 6.0 in reading, it means the child did as well on the test as the average 6th grader would have done on that test. (Which does not necessarily mean the child has mastered 6th grade material, especially if they are a 2nd grader, for example, it just means that the 2nd grader did as well as an average 6th grader would have done on the 2nd grade test.)

--The percentile - compared to the sample group of kids the publisher used to get the data, a child who scored in the 80th percentile did better than 80% of the kids in the sample group.

--A raw score - the number your child got right out of the number of questions in that section, so say 34/45 would mean 34 right out of 45 questions.

--The grade level - if, say, the child scored 6.0 in reading, it means the child did as well on the test as the average 6th grader would have done on that test. (Which does not necessarily mean the child has mastered 6th grade material, especially if they are a 2nd grader, for example, it just means that the 2nd grader did as well as an average 6th grader would have done on the 2nd grade test.)

--The percentile - compared to the sample group of kids the publisher used to get the data, a child who scored in the 80th percentile did better than 80% of the kids in the sample group.

I'm wondering about this, too, because I like the idea of the online test and immediate results.

Oo, thanks for sharing that! I've heard soooo many parents comment that their child is reading at a 6th grade level when they are only 2nd graders and I've always wondered exactly how they know that and how their child would comprehend stories intended for children that much older. I get what they mean now.. I think. :lol:

Oo, thanks for sharing that! I've heard soooo many parents comment that their child is reading at a 6th grade level when they are only 2nd graders and I've always wondered exactly how they know that and how their child would comprehend stories intended for children that much older. I get what they mean now.. I think. :lol:

I found this article to be very helpful in understanding more about standardized achievement tests http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests_tell_us.htm.

I've used both the ITBS and the Woodcock Johnson III (one year we even did both of them the same week because I wanted to compare;)). I like both of them for different reasons.

WJIII--most expensive option as it's given by a professional (runs about $75 here), results are immediate, entire process takes about an hour and a half, mostly oral or written (math) rather than a bubble test, done individually, normed all the way through college so you don't have issues of ceilings in the usual course of things if you have a kid performing at several different grade levels, 6th grade by a 2nd grader means as a 6th grader would perform on 6th grade material regardless of age of student. It was great for my daughter, especially when she was younger.

ITBS--cheaper (I think it was $35 or $45), given at home but takes several days, bubble test, have to have a bachelor's degree to administer it as a parent, normed only against one grade so less useful for those whose grade level varies by subject, 6th grade performance by 2nd grader means as an average 6th grader would have performed on 2nd grade material, results take several weeks to receive, very detailed breakdown of score.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you think your child might qualify for one of the regional talent identification programs for gifted students. If so, qualification is based on standardized achievement test scores, so you may want to be sure the test you choose is one that they accept. For the Duke TIP, for instance, the 4th/5th talent search is based on scores from 3rd grade (2nd may also be eligible, I don't remember) and they accept most of the standardized achievement tests I've heard of, but it doesn't hurt to check.