Menu

Garlic, evoo, and onions

I think they are the base of every dinner in this house. It is extremely rare, for every dish in a dinner to NOT have evoo, garlic and onion in them.

What do you all start your dinners with?

Same. We're happiest if these are followed by peppers, tomatoes, and basil, whether there'll be meat or beans, soup or pasta, or rice.

I think they are the base of every dinner in this house. It is extremely rare, for every dish in a dinner to NOT have evoo, garlic and onion in them.

Usually at least one dish for every meal starts this way. DH cooks tomato sauce, asparagus, spinach, chicken and pork with EVOO, garlic and onion. Probably more things as well but those are the ones I'm sure of.

I don't cook a single thing with onions (so that's probably somewhat unique right there). They just don't love me.

I use a lot of garlic, bacon fat, and butter.

Even sauteed they bite back? Awww, that's a shame.

Same. We're happiest if these are followed by peppers, tomatoes, and basil, whether there'll be meat or beans, soup or pasta, or rice.

Nom!

That's the Latin holy trinity, no? Onion, garlic and pepper?

I have bags of frozen basil in my freezer and when I need a shot of summer, I open one of the bags and take a deep breath. :001_smile:

Same. And usually peppers of some description - hot, mild, sweet, we like 'em all!

LOL

One of our exchange students and I were laughing about how many recipes across the world must start with garlic sizzling in oil.

She said they didn't use onions in her hometown cooking though (she is from a small town in China), except for maybe some chopped green onion, so it was a bit of an adjustment for her to eat onion in everything. :D

Cat

That's pretty common in dinners around here, too. Breakfasts also. (Omelettes)