Menu

If - then statements

At what age do children understand if-then statements?

Example:

If you don't finish eating in 10 minutes, then you will miss out on watching a movie.

If we said something similar to that to my dd5, she would say something like,

But I want to watch a movie!

She doesn't seem to put the fact that she may miss it on her (lack of) actions...is this normal? When do they grow out of it?

Edited by tntgoodwin

Not sure, but sometimes we just say "eat quickly" instead of giving a time frame. Or we set a timer, and if she doesn't finish by the time it beeps, then...

And it isn't just with timing stuff. Often it is a "if you do this, then that will happen" and she will say how she does want "that to happen."

I found "when-thens" to work better as a motivation:

When you are finished eating, you can watch the movie. It starts at ____pm.

When your room is clean, we'll go to the park.

"IF" says you don't believe she can do it, and that she'll fail. It's too big. "When" says you know she'll get there. :001_smile: And for things with timetables? Pictures. Write it down. When things are set in stone sometimes we just have to skip.

At what age do children understand if-then statements. Good question. My 2yos understood, "No spaghetti, no dessert." statements, but I'm not certain when they understood "If you don't eat spaghetti, then you don't get dessert."

I also think that understanding the consequences of your actions is something children gradually come to understand. Sometimes I think my teens are still learning it. :lol:

My 5 y.o. would have responded the same way, not because he doesn't understand if-then, but because he knows I'm a pushover and would let him watch it anyway. Otoh, if dh said it, ds would start eating faster.

All my dc have understood if-then by age 5; their cooperation was dependent on personality and consistency on my and dh's part.

Good question. My older 5yo responds similarly to "if you don't do __ then you don't get __." Then I re-word the "threat" to something like, "if you want to __, you first need to ___. She responds appropriately to that.

My younger 5yo gets it the first way, though, I think.

In my family, If-then for desired things were remembered before kiddo was talking in complete sentences: if you finish your bread, then you may have some ice cream.

Danger If-thens came next: if we don't lock the door, someone could steal your dolly.

Consequences for behavior control If-thens .... we are still working on them. :001_smile:

"IF" says you don't believe she can do it, and that she'll fail. It's too big. "When" says you know she'll get there. :001_smile: And for things with timetables? Pictures. Write it down. When things are set in stone sometimes we just have to skip.

Oh, that's clever, I like that. :D

Not until later would they understand it. :001_smile:

But, as an aside, don't set eating food to be rewarded. I know, I know, they're picky buggers who eat two bites and run off, but that's OK, they'll grow out of it. Kids are amazing-they really won't starve themselves. But, they may never grow out of eating everything so they can be rewarded.

:iagree:I think it's less about having trouble with if-then, and more about having trouble with don'ts and nots.

I would ask a follow-up question to help her figure it out. So I would respond to "But I want to ..." with "OK, then what do you need to do so you can do...?" Sometimes they just need a little push to think through it correctly.

I think it's normal for if- then to be a little fuzzy at that age, but I honestly don't remember when it became crystal clear for mine. It was a gradual transition so that's probably why it doesn't stick out to me.

Not until later would they understand it. :001_smile:

But, as an aside, don't set eating food to be rewarded. I know, I know, they're picky buggers who eat two bites and run off, but that's OK, they'll grow out of it. Kids are amazing-they really won't starve themselves. But, they may never grow out of eating everything so they can be rewarded.

Well, she used to be in the 2nd percentile for her weight and had to be on an appetite stimulant for a long while, so we sometimes have to make her eat when she doesn't want to.

But most of the time is she just eats Sooo Slow. Like, she will be at the table an hour or so longer than everyone else.

But anyway, it was just one example.

Well, she used to be in the 2nd percentile for her weight and had to be on an appetite stimulant for a long while, so we sometimes have to make her eat when she doesn't want to.

But most of the time is she just eats Sooo Slow. Like, she will be at the table an hour or so longer than everyone else.

But anyway, it was just one example.

We have a long running family joke about the slow eaters in my family. ;) Not like 20 minutes, but like everyone is gone and they are still there...