Menu

Now that the initial hype is over, how do you like your Fire?

By hype, I mean the advertisement and excitement, and nothing critical. :001_smile: I am curious to see if those who got an Amazon Fire are completely satisfied with it, or are there things that it cannot do that are a real aggravation to you or your child. I am doing *research* for a possible purchase in the future. Thanks! :)

I absolutely love mine! My only complaint is that I haven't figured out how to download/open the Project Gutenberg books. Most of the classics are available through Amazon, but there are a couple that are on the Project Gutenberg website that aren't on Amazon and I can't open them.

Edited by Guest

I love mine.:001_smile: I should probably add, though, that mine was a complete surprise gift, so I wasn't expecting or hoping for anything in particular. It wasn't even on my radar, so I didn't ever have any hopes or expectations to be disappointed. I love having the freedom to get online or watch a video anywhere at home without being tied to my computer. The e-reader function is good; I like that it's backlit (as opposed to dh's kindle) so I can read in bed without disturbing dh. The battery life isn't super, but I learner that from reading up on it right after I got it, so I plan accordingly and keep it charging when I'm not using it or if I'm going to be sitting in one place for a long time (like watching a movie). I like the different apps I've been able to get. The only drawbacks are that it requires wi-fi to get online (no 3g or anything), so unless I go someplace that has free wi-fi, I can't use anything that's not actually downloaded on it. The touch keyboard isn't the fastest way to type, so I haven't been posting here as much, but it's ok for quick posts on facebook. The biggest hassle is my kids always begging to play games on it! :D

I love mine! It’s the perfect size for me so that my hand doesn’t get tired holding it while reading or watching a movie. (This happens with the ipad.) I like to use it in bed a lot, so a stand of some sort isn’t practical. My eyes do get a bit tired when reading too long, so I still use my original Kindle when I know I will be reading for more than an hour. I mainly use mine for reading throughout the day, watching Netflix or Amazon videos, playing a few game apps, checking email, and surfing the web.

I bought five for Christmas: DD 21, DSD 20, DD 15, DD 14, and DH. They all love their Fires. My oldest bought a cute case for hers and now carries her fire in her purse.

DH left his laptop at home on a recent business trip out of state and took his Fire instead. I liked it because he had a spare hand and carried my bag up to the room. :). Today he's taking his Fire and his mifi with him to a yard where his rig is stacked, he's giddy because he won't have to answer email on his Blackberry.

My sister gave us one for Christmas. DD reads books on it. She prefers to use her netbook to get on the internet. I have downloaded lots of free apps to try them out. I never did anything with apps before, so that was interesting.

DD loves it and has taken over the Fire. The rest of us prefer to read regular books or use our Kindles, and to use our computers, so we don't use the Fire.

My Fire is going back. I have the Kindle Keyboard that I LOVE. I have a Macbook pro that I LOVE. As a reading device, the Fire is just "meh" I don't like the lack of eink and the back lighting. For the $$, I think the Fire is fine if you are looking for a toy, but not for a reading device. I found that I was still taking my laptop with me places and that's what I wanted to avoid. I'll probably end up getting an Ipad in February when the new ones are released.

My Fire is going back. I have the Kindle Keyboard that I LOVE. I have a Macbook pro that I LOVE. As a reading device, the Fire is just "meh" I don't like the lack of eink and the back lighting. For the $$, I think the Fire is fine if you are looking for a toy, but not for a reading device. I found that I was still taking my laptop with me places and that's what I wanted to avoid. I'll probably end up getting an Ipad in February when the new ones are released.

It's hard to beat an Apple product!

My girls all have MacBooks and they each love their Kindle Fire. I also have a MacBook and an iPad 2 but like the Fire too. My iPad is big and hard to hold laying down reading in bed, same for a MacBook. I think the Fire is a wonderful, cheaper alternative to an iPad. I definitely wouldn't refer to the Fire as a toy.

We have e-ink Kindles, but a good friend got a Fire in November and still loves it. She has an iPad and an iPod Touch, so she's used to reading on a backlit device (and she's a big reader). She loves doing many of the other things with it too. The only thing she's complained about is the number of available apps, but she thinks the number will continue to grow.