Menu

Is Sonlight or any other Christian curriculum truly non-denominational?

Lovedtodeath

I think it would be nearly impossible for any curriculum to get into the meat of Christianity without catering to or dismissing at least some denominations. While they are all Christian, there are some very different beliefs and history in different denominations. I can't imagine any way to go in depth and appeal to several specific denominations, unless they are all offshoots from the same schism.

After you say you believe in God and Jesus, there is a lot of breakdown as to what different people believe and what different denominations teach. Is the Bible literal or allegorical? Even the basics get sticky.

I think it would be nearly impossible for any curriculum to get into the meat of Christianity without catering to or dismissing at least some denominations. While they are all Christian, there are some very different beliefs and history in different denominations. I can't imagine any way to go in depth and appeal to several specific denominations, unless they are all offshoots from the same schism.

After you say you believe in God and Jesus, there is a lot of breakdown as to what different people believe and what different denominations teach. Is the Bible literal or allegorical? Even the basics get sticky.

This is more about doctrine though. Surely history can be taught in a non-slanted manner.

1 Corinthians 12:4-7 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; there are different forms of service but the same Lord; there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone. To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit.

I thinkSonlight does a pretty good job. I'm usually pretty picky and sensitive about slant- in a lot of cases I end up sing secular sources because it's easier to edit those then religious ones, but we've been happily using Sonlight all year.

Thanks. Which cores are you basing this on? Oh, D&E duh, I see it now. Are you using the science too?

To me non-denominational means accepting all denominations, not rejecting them.

I think you will very hard pressed to find this in any curriculum available right now. Some are just easier to tweak than others. Sonlight as a company does not meet those requirements. Sonlight the curriculum can be made closer to non denominational if you eliminated the Bible teachings, the missionary books and portions of the IG, depending on which core you are looking at.

Edited by melmichigan

This is more about doctrine though. Surely history can be taught in a non-slanted manner.

1 Corinthians 12:4-7 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; there are different forms of service but the same Lord; there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone. To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit.

... not if you are truly non-denominational. Does history start with a moment of creation 14 billion years ago, or a moment of creation several thousand years ago? Even post-Jesus history is hard to do non-denominationally because the Protestants and Catholics have rather different views. I do not know of a specifically Christian history program that satisfies all camps on this; maybe someone else does?

I definitely wouldn't call SL nondenominational. I consider SL to be very evangelical. That said, I don't think that any curriculum could be. Like PP said, people have such different views of so many things. It is easy enough to tweak things or skip or reword things you come upon. I won't use any blatantly anti-Catholic books (although I will present both sides of the story when the kids are older). Otherwise, I just tweak as needed. A lot of the great curricula that I love are evangelical and, except for the young Earth stuff, I am pretty much in agreement with them and have no problem using them. I ended up piecing together my SL cores though because there were a few books each year that I definitely didn't want.

I thinkSonlight does a pretty good job. I'm usually pretty picky and sensitive about slant- in a lot of cases I end up sing secular sources because it's easier to edit those then religious ones, but we've been happily using Sonlight all year.

:iagree:

I feel that Sonlight does an excellent job of presenting different viewpoints on topics. I am very pleased with it.

ETA: We've used Cores A & B and we are currently using D+E. We're also currently using Science K and Science 5.

Edited by freeindeed
further clarification

... not if you are truly non-denominational. Does history start with a moment of creation 14 billion years ago, or a moment of creation several thousand years ago? Even post-Jesus history is hard to do non-denominationally because the Protestants and Catholics have rather different views. I do not know of a specifically Christian history program that satisfies all camps on this; maybe someone else does?

We have been really enjoying the "What's in the Bible" DVDs. I think they really manage to be nondenominational. They put both in there. "Some people believe this, and some people believe that." "Catholics say this, Protestants say that."