Menu

Thinking about getting a dog

This is a delicate subject in our household.

My husband is not a dog person. Apparently got bitten by a silly poodle when he was a child and now he is, well, not a dog person. However, dh's work takes him away quite often leaving me alone in the house with ds. On the days dh is gone I don't step out of the house after 6:30-7pm. I am just not comfortable being in the house alone. DH understands this.

So, basically we need a dog that is good with small kids, but not so friendly that it will make a cup of tea for an intruder -and not a dog that requires a huge backyard, please. I have had dogs in the past: the biggest was a Great Dane, the smallest a pomeranian. Most of the time I had more than one dog at a time.

Any suggestions for a breed that may work for us?

They are great noise producers if alarmed, and great cuddlers for their family. I am partial to the miniature schnauzer, but currently have an Airedale which is the best dog on the planet (she would need a bigger yard, tho!). Downside is every month and a half grooming, but the plus is no shedding. No shedding is huge to me!

We've also been thinking getting a dog, and we have similar criteria. We narrowed it down to a boxer and a golden doodle, based on what research we've done, the fact that dh won't go for a small breed, and the fact that I have allergy issues with long haired dogs. I've asked a couple of vet friends their advice on both of those breeds and they were were highly recommended. One of the vet friends said her fav are actually the standard poodles, but perhaps that wouldn't work given your dh's past experience:tongue_smilie:

A pitbull puppy from the pound, raised properly (with consistent, firm boundaries) could be the love of your life.

They're fantastic with kids, and very alert to strange sounds, etc.

The picture was adorable. Unfortunately Pit Bulls are restricted in the UK.

We've also been thinking getting a dog, and we have similar criteria. We narrowed it down to a boxer and a golden doodle, based on what research we've done, the fact that dh won't go for a small breed, and the fact that I have allergy issues with long haired dogs. I've asked a couple of vet friends their advice on both of those breeds and they were were highly recommended. One of the vet friends said her fav are actually the standard poodles, but perhaps that wouldn't work given your dh's past experience:tongue_smilie:

I've never heard of golden doodle. Will wikipedia that one for sure.

I like 'Giant' Poodles (I know there is no giant kind but I've seen some pretty big ones out there). I believe they are easy to train and they don't shed -which is great so that alone may persuade dh to give it a try (after all granny's poodle was a tiny thing and so was dh back then).

I actually prefer larger dogs and I am not bothered about size so long as the dog has the right temperament. I don't know the first thing about Boxers but heck, I'll do some research as well. :lol:

Standard Poodles are totally awesome. I have 2. My male is gentle and sweet, but he is also protective. I am relatively sure that he stopped a break in with his deep bark. The rest of the day, he paced from the doors to me over and over just making sure everything was okay. Yet, he is gentle and almost too nice to my kids and others. We took him to visit a home for disabled people and he was the best dog in the group. He is so smart and just has a great sense about people. My other poodle is only 10 weeks old so we'll see how she turns out!

Suzanne

The Laggoto breed should be easier for you to purchase in the UK, I would think.

Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers are my other favorite.

I'll never get another shedding dog. Both of the above need someone experienced, which it sounds like you are, and both have hair instead of fur which makes them better inside dogs for me. Low allergy problems for both of them...

I love my pup, but it's the last time I look at anything at the Humane Society. I can't resist a cute pup and I'm still vacuuming..... and will be for the next 10 yrs or so...

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are awesome! Beautiful temparement, don't need a huge backyard (in spite of their size), have an impressive deep bark, but are not aggressive as such, love kids.

www.revodana.com/whyaridgeback.html (you might need to copy & paste this - I'm not sure what's happening with the link thing!)

This is my website - I'm a breeder (in Australia, so it won't help you, but might be some pics & info that interest you)

http://members.westnet.com.au/k.fab/

Edited by Isabella

My husband was not a dog person either.

We got a dog anyway, finally, for the boys. Dh loves the dog. :) Our dog is a mix...beagle, aussie, probably some shepherd, and something with a very curly tail. He's friendly and sweet but barks like crazy at strangers. Protective of the kids. He's a great family dog.

If you're not set on a particular breed, contact your local *reputable* pet rescue and let them know what you're looking for and that you're willing to wait for just the right dog. We waited for almost a year before we adopted our dog, and he has been a perfect dog for our family.

Cat

We have a goldendoodle, and he is awesome. He is great with the kids, he doesn't shed, and he is very loyal. We all love him. :)

I have a chow, but I know that no matter how well-bred and loved, there are always dangers with a dog. A pit bull, at least without going through a top-notch breeder, could be very risky. I don't hold it against the breed, but bad breeders.

We also found a dog through a rescue, he is part lab, part who knows :-), and he is the BEST dog we have ever, ever had. He was in someone's home for 2 months as a foster dog before we adopted him.

I would truly look at only top notch breeders for any dog, or a pound/rescue. Mixed breed dogs are often the most intelligent and easy to train.

If you're not set on a particular breed, contact your local *reputable* pet rescue and let them know what you're looking for and that you're willing to wait for just the right dog. We waited for almost a year before we adopted our dog, and he has been a perfect dog for our family.

Cat

I've had rescue dogs all my life (except for a Great Dane and a Cocker Spaniel). I've had great mixed dogs and some which were great and a few which have been too unpredictable to trust. I guess the breed thing is because it would be nice to know more or less what to expect. Also in the UK rescue centres are very reluctant to give dogs to families with small children.

Standard Poodles are totally awesome. I have 2. My male is gentle and sweet, but he is also protective. I am relatively sure that he stopped a break in with his deep bark. The rest of the day, he paced from the doors to me over and over just making sure everything was okay. Yet, he is gentle and almost too nice to my kids and others. We took him to visit a home for disabled people and he was the best dog in the group. He is so smart and just has a great sense about people. My other poodle is only 10 weeks old so we'll see how she turns out!

Suzanne

Uhm. Like the idea. Are poodles all bark? What would they do if someone did break in?

So many useful suggestions. Thank you all. I am going to check out the links now. I wish I had seen all this last night but I am like 10+ ahead of the US. :tongue_smilie: