Menu

If you don't believe in God/Heaven...

I used to believe that when you died, that was it. I no longer believe that, but I am not a Christian.

However, when I did believe it, it didn't depress me. My basic thoughts were, "Do the best I can while I am here to make the world a better place, and when I die I'll be dead and won't know it or care."

Tara

and you have no hope for life beyond your years on earth, does the thought of dying and that being "it" overwhelm you?

I'm not trying to be rude at all. I guess it's just that the thought of death with no hope for anything beyond that just depresses me totally. I just wonder how those who have that belief feel about the finality of it all.

Thanks for any input.

Yeah, it does me. It makes me very very sad. I wish I could believe that eventually we would all end up together....and even if I go first I could hang out and watch over them :lol:

So I don't dwell on it much b/c really what can I do? I can't make a heaven. And I can't make myself believe in one :glare: Just too much for me.

It is interesting to read that others do not feel that way at all. I will have to go back and reread.

No, it doesn't worry me. If you really believe that death is the end, then it's not frightening: you live, then you stop living. When you are dead you have no consciousness, so there's nothing to be afraid of. I don't have a spiritual bone in my body - I can't imagine belief in an afterlife.

I like Epicurus's take on it

‘Thus that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.’

I can imagine a belief in an afterlife however. I know someone quite well who left his large, varied and vibrant extended family's agnosticism behind to embrace faith, after 30 years of depression, anxiety, and emotional misery. I don't know that he is that much happier, but he has something to cling to: the idea there is a next life where he won't feel so bad. It is very sad, IMO, but it not that uncommon, so I therefore believe there are people who believe in an afterlife, and therefore can imagine a belief in it. (But for myself, no, and I would fear for my sanity if I, sans a spiritual bone, started thinking it. I believe I've have myself checked for temporal lobe epilepsy. :lol:).

To quote a Roman, rather than a Greek: I am human, and therefore nothing human is alien to me.

I like Epicurus's take on it

‘Thus that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.’

I can imagine a belief in an afterlife however. I know someone quite well who left his large, varied and vibrant extended family's agnosticism behind to embrace faith, after 30 years of depression, anxiety, and emotional misery. I don't know that he is that much happier, but he has something to cling to: the idea there is a next life where he won't feel so bad. It is very sad, IMO, but it not that uncommon, so I therefore believe there are people who believe in an afterlife, and therefore can imagine a belief in it. (But for myself, no, and I would fear for my sanity if I, sans a spiritual bone, started thinking it. I believe I've have myself checked for temporal lobe epilepsy. :lol:).

To quote a Roman, rather than a Greek: I am human, and therefore nothing human is alien to me.

:iagree:

and you have no hope for life beyond your years on earth, does the thought of dying and that being "it" overwhelm you?

I'm not trying to be rude at all. I guess it's just that the thought of death with no hope for anything beyond that just depresses me totally. I just wonder how those who have that belief feel about the finality of it all.

Thanks for any input.

Nope

In fact, it makes me feel peaceful. I'd feel a whole lot more stressed out if I had to worry about the heaven/hell thing