Menu

PLEASE help me choose a car!

My current car (1998) is dying. For the past year, I've been "putting bandaids" on it on an increasingly regular basis. It is to the point where I'm going crazy and starting to feel unsafe.

I don't have much money to get another car, but I've got to figure something out. I want to do what's most cost-effective in the long run.

I have $1000 socked away for this purpose. I'm tempted to buy a super cheap car with plans to drive it for only a year, and then get something better then. More likely, I'd like to buy a 2007ish car so that I can drive it for a number of years hopefully without worrying. I'm hoping that I could find something around the $7000 range (and get a loan, obviously).

So, all that said, any advice? I don't want to lease something at $300 a month--it's just too much.

My main question: What are your favourite ECONOMY cars that you've driven that are very reliable and unlikely to cause me heartache and trouble? A hatchback/wagon would be a nice touch.

Please help! I feel overwhelmed!:auto:

We had a Honda Civic for a while and liked it. They seem to retain value for a long time and are good used.

We're currently driving a 2004 Ford Focus, and we'll drive it into the ground. It's got 170K miles on it and is still doing okay but is at the "replace it or spend serious cash on it" point. Still, it's been a good and reliable car, and it gets about 30 mpg.

I've had a Volvo 850 and Volkswagen Jetta that were good cars, though, being foreign, were a bit more to fix than, say, a Mazda or Nissan.

I hear Kia has gotten MUCH better quality-wise than they were 10 years ago. Maybe a Kia Rio or something along those lines?

For me, one of the great things about buying the Scion is how it's marketed. The bare-bones model is actually nicely loaded and there is no "package" to buy to get any added features. They're all individually priced after-market upgrades. I bought the bare-bones model off the lot and it had all I wanted already installed. Since Scion is actually marketed for younger folks, all the neon, flashy, decorative stuff is extra and I didn't need any of that silliness, so I was able to skip on that. The only "extra" I got was the floor mat set, because they snap into the floor and don't slide around. And, Scion doesn't dicker with the price. The price of all the ones on the lot is exactly the same, at every dealer, everywhere. I bought mine new, off the lot, because I found that trying to buy a used one actually cost more because of all the extra stuff the original owners added!

And, these cars defy the laws of physics. They look tiny, but they are roomy on the inside. My 6'3" son still has several inches of headroom and LOTS of legroom. My 5'6" daughter sits in the back with plenty of room for her legs. The back seats split and even move up and recline a little to accommodate infant seats. I can get a TON of stuff in the back; even more with the seats flattened down. I've been very happy with this little car and plan to keep it until 2014 when Mustang releases their 50th anniversary model (and I plan to get one!) :auto:

My current car (1998) is dying. For the past year, I've been "putting bandaids" on it on an increasingly regular basis. It is to the point where I'm going crazy and starting to feel unsafe.

I don't have much money to get another car, but I've got to figure something out. I want to do what's most cost-effective in the long run.

I have $1000 socked away for this purpose. I'm tempted to buy a super cheap car with plans to drive it for only a year, and then get something better then. More likely, I'd like to buy a 2007ish car so that I can drive it for a number of years hopefully without worrying. I'm hoping that I could find something around the $7000 range (and get a loan, obviously).

So, all that said, any advice? I don't want to lease something at $300 a month--it's just too much.

My main question: What are your favourite ECONOMY cars that you've driven that are very reliable and unlikely to cause me heartache and trouble? A hatchback/wagon would be a nice touch.

Please help! I feel overwhelmed!:auto:

You mean $1000 for a downpayment? Or you want to buy a $1000 car?

It would be difficult but not impossible to find a car for that amount. Check Craigslist! We bought our last 2 vehicles directly from owners that way, saving the 2000+ profit every reseller sticks on the top.

If you need to make payments you can STILL buy directly from a person after getting an online car loan (but I hate debt!). They send you a check and you simply pay the individual.

I'd look at Kia, as the quality is very good these days. When both of our cars died (we drive forever), then we rented a Kia for 2 months and both of us loved it. Honda and Toyota are always good. The newer model domestics are better. I'd peruse Craigslist daily, and also check the auction pages of your local newspaper. Often very good cars owned by elderly people are auctioned off with the furniture. You will compete only with a dealer or two who offer very low bids.

Review Edmunds.com. There are lots of articles there about how to buy, and better yet, there is a Used Car Appraisal function where you plug in the make, model, year, color, mileage, and other options and it spits out a price for your area. Don't let people tell you Kelley Blue Book reflects their area - Kbb is very high. All Sellers try to use this site. All Buyers resist it.

Edited by TranquilMind

what do you need the car to do?

when i lived in ottawa, i shared a car with a friend. for us, that was fabulous. if there is any, any way to not need one, i'd go that route for a year and save like a mad woman (whatever i would be paying on a monthly basis on a $6000- loan). if you actually don't have a car, then you can spend your insurance and licensing money on renting one when you do need it, or put it into the "new to us" car savings.

if you are rural, then that's not going to work as easily. the car talk guys regularly recommend old used volvos. and i would think in the snow, that would be good. they are often only $3000- or so, because they stay healthier longer and you can buy an older one.

hth,

ann