Menu

Sewing machines?

Yes, if you go to the used market. I would not buy an inexpensive sewing machine from a box store. They often have plastic gears which break.

Stores that sell sewing machines take trades. You can price these but I have known people who have purchased decent sewing machines from yard sales and charity shops for $25 or so. If you are unfamiliar with sewing machines, you might want to bring a friend along to do a test drive. Fortunately many manuals are now downloadable from the Internet.

I would recommend a good, basic Janome mechanical model. I have one that has no electronics and has the metal gears. It is rock solid.

You could check out if your area has a good used Janome store, or you could look online like I did. I like http://kenssewingcenter.com/ where I got a good deal on my machine and free shipping. They are not quite under a hundred dollars, but they do have some machines that are a good deal and less than one hundred fifty. Let them know what you want in terms of a mechanical model with metal gears, and let them recommend what they have in stock. They carry factory refurbished items so you may get a deal there.

EDITED TO ADD: Hey, I just checked them out and they have used machines under a hundred too. Great customer service (no, I'm just a customer and don't get kickbacks from recommending them).

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't go to Walmart or similiar places (or Joann's), and make sure you don't get seduced by some electronic gizmo with a million fancy stitches, those electronics usually go bad just as fast as the machines with the plastic gears! (Ask me how I know)

Edited by Rainefox

I have a cheap, box store sewing machine that's been going strong for years. It's a Euro Pro Denim and Silk. I either bought it at Target or Walmart. I've owned it for 7-8 years now. I'm not a big time seamstress, but I've sewn all the curtains for my house, lots of pajamas, and years of Halloween and play costumes without trouble. A friend in my dance troupe uses the same machine A LOT more often than I do. She's made our troupe costumes for 12 people on it and they involved miles of thick, liquid lamé. She reports it goes through leather easily too (as long as you use a leather needle).

I'm sure the expensive machines are very nice, but they're just not necessary for my needs. Of course, I don't own a Bosch or a VitaMix, either, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt :D

My $200 Brother that I got from WalMart has been going strong for over six years. It is somewhat complex, though (computerized, includes several feet, has a lot of stitches, includes several quilting tools), so I think you could absolutely find a basic one that was pretty good for less. A friend just bought a Babylock for her child for about $100; she wanted a real machine, and this one is not computerized and has just the basic handful of stitches (which, tbh, is all I ever use on mine anyway). So far, her child seems to be pleased, though it hasn't had extensive use yet. I'm seriously considering that one when my current one dies (which is going to be fairly soon; it's got a plastic part on the bobbin case which has chipped).

If you have the luxury of time (when I bought the Brother, my old machine had quit in the middle of sewing holiday outfits, so I had little time to research), you could look for reviews on used machines and look for one of those. My mom's old Singer lasted for like 25 years and was a great machine! (She found that it didn't tolerate modern thread very well after a while, so she switched to the Brother as well.)

I would recommend a good, basic Janome mechanical model. I have one that has no electronics and has the metal gears. It is rock solid.

You could check out if your area has a good used Janome store, or you could look online like I did. I like http://kenssewingcenter.com/ where I got a good deal on my machine and free shipping. They are not quite under a hundred dollars, but they do have some machines that are a good deal and less than one hundred fifty. Let them know what you want in terms of a mechanical model with metal gears, and let them recommend what they have in stock. They carry factory refurbished items so you may get a deal there.

EDITED TO ADD: Hey, I just checked them out and they have used machines under a hundred too. Great customer service (no, I'm just a customer and don't get kickbacks from recommending them).

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't go to Walmart or similiar places (or Joann's), and make sure you don't get seduced by some electronic gizmo with a million fancy stitches, those electronics usually go bad just as fast as the machines with the plastic gears! (Ask me how I know)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've been looking for a machine since before Christmas on craigslist, ebay, etc. Hadn't found what I wanted until I went to this site. Ken's had exactly what I was looking for at a MUCH better price than I'd found elsewhere plus free shipping. Can't wait to get my machine!

Is it possible to buy a decent fairly cheap sewing machine? I mean can I get anything that will do just basic sewing and not fall apart in a month for $100 or less?

I would highly recommend the Kenmore Mini Ultra 3/4 size machine. I have had mine since 2006 and I've spent hundreds of hours using it. I spent $89 in 2006, but it looks like it's $99 now. It is well worth the money! :001_smile:

:iagree:

I've had great success with my "lower end" Janome machines and highly recommend them!

Thank you, for linking Ken's sewing center. I want to get my dd, her own machine...Now after looking, I have my eye on a Janome for me too, and I want a serger.

OP...I purchased a used/-$20 metal work-horse of a machine a few years ago at Goodwill and I love it.