Menu

And when we're in Nashville we simply MUST...

What? What are the must-do super-fun things to do in Nashville?

We're going to the National Irish Dance contest at the beginning of July (assuming I don't go insane first, which is a possibility at this point -- dd is competing, and it's getting really weird the closer it gets). We've already booked the hotel room for the weekend, and are thinking, "Hey, once we're done with all this dance falderal, how about we have a mini-vacation?".

But, really, we're absolutely clueless about what to do in Nashville.

Thoughts?

We're going to the National Irish Dance contest at the beginning of July (assuming I don't go insane first, which is a possibility at this point -- dd is competing, and it's getting really weird the closer it gets). We've already booked the hotel room for the weekend, and are thinking, "Hey, once we're done with all this dance falderal, how about we have a mini-vacation?".

Thoughts?

Eat at Calypso's and go to the zoo. It's a really good zoo. (And I HATE zoos.)

Thoughts?

It's been awhile since I've lived in Nashville, and most of the time was pre-children/pregnant with my first child, so you may need to double-check my suggestions with those who have more up-to-date information! :)

The Bluebird Cafe (where the songwriters go to sing their songs)

The Wildhorse Saloon

The Ryman Auditorium (original Grand Ole Opry, I seem to remember a museum there)

The Opryland Hotel (the inside is beautiful!)

Have a great time! We loved the Nashville area!

Eat at The Pancake Pantry in Hillsboro Village. That area, Hillsboro Village, is really cute with great shops.

The Parthenon is great. We went and you can read about it on my blog here.

2nd Avenue downtown is where all of the country music bars, souvenir shops, ect. are located.

Opryland Hotel is beautiful and big. Very pretty gardens...inside...with A/C!

The Frist is a pretty good art museum.

McKay's is a great used bookstore with a whole aisle dedicated to home learning. Just google it.

The Adventure Science Center is pretty cool.

We really enjoy the zoo.

Hope this helps! Have a fun trip!

The last time I was there I was teaching at a conference and ended up spending nearly the whole time at the Marriott! What a bummer. Nashville is a fun place to vacation. Along with all the other great suggestions, here are a few more:

If you like history there are some plantations to visit, like the Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson, and then there is the Belle Meade Plantation. There are some others, but these are the most famous ones. I've been to the Hermitage and it is interesting, and would love to go to Belle Meade.

There's also the General Jackson Showboat, which is a lot of fun and a relaxing trip up the Cumberland River. I don't know if this appeals to you, but if you have time, a car and are interested, you could drive to Lynchburg to visit the Jack Daniels Whiskey Distillery.

Nashville is a wonderful city and the surrounding area is a treasure in America. The landscape is beautiful, the food is fabulous and the people are the epitomy of southern hospitality. There are so many amazingly talented and creative people there (and not just country musicians) The Nashville/Franklin area is also home to some of the most wonderful churches in the whole country.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Blessings,

Lucinda

The Opryland Hotel (the inside is beautiful!)

Actually, the competition is at the Gaylord Opryland, and that's where we'll be staying. I assume that's the same thing, right?

Thanks for ALL the ideas. Wow, maybe we should've booked a few more nights!

Actually, the competition is at the Gaylord Opryland, and that's where we'll be staying. I assume that's the same thing, right?

Yep, that's the place. For the history side, do the Hermitage & Parthenon. If you can, go to the Grand Ole Opry performance--even if you're not a country fan; it's a live radio show so very different than a reg. stage show. There's the CM Hall of Fame, the Capitol building, TN State Museum, Baptist publishing house, etc. Lots to do! And Mammoth Cave is about 1.5 hrs north in KY. Enjoy your trip (& wave to my Mom for me. :))