Menu

How many dads are wanting to spend Father's Day alone?

Is Father's Day a day for dads to do whatever they want, even if that means spending the day away from home and family? Should they spend at least part of the day with their kids or is it ok for him to go off, maybe even for the whole weekend, and do his own thing?

I'm curious what others think. I'd love to know your opinions as well as hubby's opinions!

My husband believes that Father's Day is a chance for the children to celebrate that he's their father, so he spends the morning getting homemade cards and a goofy present, and takes them to the driving range (an activity they all enjoy).

Then he gets the afternoon off to golf by himself.

The children would be disappointed if they didn't get a chance to spend any Dad time with dh on Father's Day.

(On Mother's Day they spoil me in the morning then go away so that I can have the house to myself.)

My dh usually goes away on a fishing trip that weekend not because it's Father's Day but because that's the weekend they can do. If he doesn't go away, we do something together.

It's never bothered us that he goes away - we usually stick something in his bag. So the kids have fun planning and doing that.

He spends a lot of time with the kids on a regular basis, so they are fine with it.

Well, lol, dh always spends it with us, doing something as a family. (When we lived in SoCal, we played miniature golf every year on Father's Day, but that has been an unappealing way to spend a sweltering June afternoon since we moved to Georgia, lol...)

But I don't think I could blame him much if he *did* want a break. After all, in thinking of what *I* want for Mother's Day, an afternoon of having the house completely to myself would be pretty high on the list! lol... And it's not that I don't adore and value my family. But sometimes quiet... Well, it's awfully tempting. ;)

But I'm very glad dh wants to spend the day with all of us. Lol -- it really *is* different than Mother's Day... He'll probably even cook for us! (Grill) I figure the one thing I absolutely *don't* have to do on Mother's Day is cook!

Guess what my Mother's Day gift was? DH took the kids to visit relatives for 10 days, and I stayed home. Gloriously, wonderfully a-l-o-n-e. They come home tomorrow.

SO basically, I think it depends on the Father in question. This Momma loves her kids but needed some "me" time. I certainly see Dad's feeling that way, too.

My wife's sole wish for Mother's Day was an hour of quiet reading time on her own at a café. I didn't think badly of her for that. She works at home and is with our dd virtually all day every day.

I would certainly appreciate a little solitude, but I don't expect it on Father's Day. Neither do I expect my young dd to relish the kind of activities that I would if I could spend the day exactly as I'd choose. I try to plan something that the whole family will enjoy.

But I think each family determines what these days will be like for their own family. We do try to make sure mom/dad gets to take an afternoon nap on his/her special day, but otherwise we all hang out together. We usually try to do something fun together and maybe go out to eat.

I plan to help the kids give my husband lots of quiet and alone time. He will have just spent a week at Boy Scout camp with highs in the mid to upper nineties and lows in the seventies. He will come home drained and exhausted. As soon as he gets home he has to get ready for a social engagement that we are obligated to do .

I might not even let him wake up for church on Father's Day. The kids are cooking for him, there will homemade cards and gifts and hugs and kisses. But more than anything he needs to lay in the bed under the ceiling fan and nap.

My dh would be offended if we left him alone on Father's Day. Quality time is one of his love languages. He works with a small group of people and spends enough time alone. I imagine I'll make him dinner, cards, rub his back. He asked when I was making him lasagna again, maybe I'll do that.

My DH would be totally put out if alone on Father's Day. But, that's just him! He likes being taken care of and all of us spending time with him. So, it is a family day in our home. BUT, I like my time alone, which is a gift, so I can understand that there are men who would be that way too!