Menu

Great read aloud alert - The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Joy at Home

I love this book. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, but with the movie out I read it (of course we missed the movie because I went to take them this week and it's not playing anymore).

Anyway, this is one of our favorites. It's magical, mysterious, the drawings are splendid. My kids were literally begging me to keep going after every chapter. Huge thumbs up:001_smile:

Lisa

You're the second strong recommendation I've heard. Time to check it out! Thanks!

A huge hit here as well. A second book, not really a sequel, but in the same style, has just come out by the same author, called "Wonderstruck".

I love this book. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, but with the movie out I read it (of course we missed the movie because I went to take them this week and it's not playing anymore).

Anyway, this is one of our favorites. It's magical, mysterious, the drawings are splendid. My kids were literally begging me to keep going after every chapter. Huge thumbs up:001_smile:

Lisa

What age would this be appropriate for? I'm always looking for awesome read alouds.

I read it to Ariel a few months ago. She's seven and enjoyed it immensely. I had to convince her to leave the book at home when we went to see the movie.

Do you think a precocious 5 1/2 year old would enjoy it. She is currently independently reading the Magic Treehouse books by herself and retains and enjoys them immensely.

Some current read alouds we have done together include Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland (Alice seemed to lose her interest at times and was harder for her to follow), Little House in the Big Woods, Matilda, etc.

Is Hugo in that vein???

Do you think a precocious 5 1/2 year old would enjoy it. She is currently independently reading the Magic Treehouse books by herself and retains and enjoys them immensely.

Some current read alouds we have done together include Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland (Alice seemed to lose her interest at times and was harder for her to follow), Little House in the Big Woods, Matilda, etc.

Is Hugo in that vein???

I think Hugo is easier to follow than Alice or Peter Pan, and she should enjoy it if she likes books with pictures. I thought it innovative that the story was partly told through the illustrations.

I think Hugo is easier to follow than Alice or Peter Pan, and she should enjoy it if she likes books with pictures. I thought it innovative that the story was partly told through the illustrations.

I'll make a point to pick that one up next. :) Can't wait to give it a try.

Side Note: And to add to your movie-going experience (whenever it is that you DO get to see the film!), enjoy some of these George Melies films on YouTube -- a number of the sets in the current Hugo film were very careful recreations of sets from these wonderfully magical original George Melies films. Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori, thank you so muc for this. I'm embaressed to say I thought Papa George was a totally fictional character. Dd is enjoying this link.

Lisa

My 8 yo ds and I read it (independently) last year and loved it. I liked that the author had notes about the historical background.

My now 9 yo and 7 yo read it again before we went to see the movie. It was one of the most gorgeous movies I've seen in a very long time. (Ever?) The lighting, atmosphere, emotion, characters.... just beautiful. We all enjoyed it very much!

The boys just read Wonderstruck and enjoyed it, as well.

Lori, thank you so muc for this. I'm embaressed to say I thought Papa George was a totally fictional character. Dd is enjoying this link.

Lisa

I think it's worth it to watch Safety Last beforehand as well. My boys and I had already seen it and they enjoyed recognizing that and The Great Train Robbery in the film of Hugo, as well as the Melies films they had seen. Scorsese called the book an ode to movies in an interview I saw and that was just right to me.