Menu

SS# grid in on SAT???

Ds will be taking the SAT for the first time in January. I have the blue, college board prep book. Looking at the sample tests in the back there is a spot for gridding in one's SS#. You know, underneath the name, test center, etc. Is this required? It doesn't indicate "optional."

TIA.

It's optional. We did not have ds or dd grid it in--a trend that started when they took the PSAT. We didn't see any real need for the PSAT (or SAT) folks to have it, and in this day and age of identity theft, we were nervous about giving it out when not absolutely necessary.

I think (found this out later) the only thing the SSN is used for is for colleges to more easily match up applications with SAT scores when they come in. In any case, not having gridded it in for the SAT didn't cause ds any problems in the college application process, and I presume (hope) the same will be true for dd.

It's optional. We did not have ds or dd grid it in--a trend that started when they took the PSAT. We didn't see any real need for the PSAT (or SAT) folks to have it, and in this day and age of identity theft, we were nervous about giving it out when not absolutely necessary.

We feel the same way. My kids have not gridded in their social security numbers either.

I think (found this out later) the only thing the SSN is used for is for colleges to more easily match up applications with SAT scores when they come in. In any case, not having gridded it in for the SAT didn't cause ds any problems in the college application process, and I presume (hope) the same will be true for dd.

I feel the same way - it makes me nervous. But, at least in the test prep book the word "optional" is not printed on there.

College Board does request that you either always grid it in or never grid it in. So if your son doesn't put his ssn on this SAT, then he shouldn't on any College Board test--AP, SAT, SAT II. It helps with their record keeping.

Thanks. I just love this board! I can always get the answers I need!

• 4 weeks later...