Menu

Surely I'm not the only one this has happened to???

Yesterday I sent dh out with a big bag of library books to return to Library A. These books (about 20 of them) were already 1 day overdue and my account was frozen. I even sent him an e-mail with the name of Library A. He was out of the house for about 4 hours running errands and when asked upon his return about the books said he had indeed returned them.

Later in the day I checked my account and it was still frozen, library books not returned. I just figured they were busy and hadn't gotten to them yet.

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY.....

dh says he's going on a run.

Me: Are you running by Library A?

dh: Why?

Me: I found another book that was due and you could return it for me.

dh: You mean Library B?

Me: No, I mean Library A.

dh: (silent)

Me: Did you return the books to Library B???

dh: Yes, I thought that's where they were supposed to go.

Me: I sent you an e-mail specifically saying Library A!

dh: (finds e-mail) Hmmm...maybe I thought it was library B because I was going in that direction anyway.

So, I got into the car (on Christmas Eve!) and drove to Library B which, of course, was closed.

Monday on our way to see Sherlock Holmes I'll make dh go in and get the books! Hope they have them all.

Most of our libraries are connected.... One really, really nice one isn't. I take the kids to the nice one and use our closer one mostly to just pick up books I've requested online.

Does make it more complicated though! Then add in various library cards and I pay a lot of late fees!

Yeah, communication with men can be tricky......you tell them, you write it down, you tattoo it on their arms......they STILL will go with whatever is in their heads. ;)

I use two different county library systems. Our county's system is small and not that great. The city library system is the one we use 90% of the time. They charge $50 per year to use it but I got in when they still offered $100 for a lifetime of use about 6 years ago.

I would probably still pay to use the better system. The taxes would be at least $1,000 more to live in that county so DH pointed out to me that $50 is pretty cheap compared to living there to use it.

Dawn

Most of our libraries are connected.... One really, really nice one isn't. I take the kids to the nice one and use our closer one mostly to just pick up books I've requested online.

Does make it more complicated though! Then add in various library cards and I pay a lot of late fees!

Does your library system offer a "teacher's card"? I was into our second year of homeschooling (and many late fees) before I realized our system has a different card for teachers. The teacher's card has no late fees and the books can be kept out for a longer period of time.

We do, but you must have proof of employment within the district. I should have gotten one when I worked in the system as I don't think you need to re-prove it every year.

Oh well.....

It is not available to homeschoolers. I think they know we would keep half the book for the whole year! :lol:

Dawn

Does your library system offer a "teacher's card"? I was into our second year of homeschooling (and many late fees) before I realized our system has a different card for teachers. The teacher's card has no late fees and the books can be kept out for a longer period of time.

Yesterday I sent dh out with a big bag of library books to return to Library A. These books (about 20 of them) were already 1 day overdue and my account was frozen. I even sent him an e-mail with the name of Library A. He was out of the house for about 4 hours running errands and when asked upon his return about the books said he had indeed returned them.

Later in the day I checked my account and it was still frozen, library books not returned. I just figured they were busy and hadn't gotten to them yet.

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY.....

dh says he's going on a run.

Me: Are you running by Library A?

dh: Why?

Me: I found another book that was due and you could return it for me.

dh: You mean Library B?

Me: No, I mean Library A.

dh: (silent)

Me: Did you return the books to Library B???

dh: Yes, I thought that's where they were supposed to go.

Me: I sent you an e-mail specifically saying Library A!

dh: (finds e-mail) Hmmm...maybe I thought it was library B because I was going in that direction anyway.

So, I got into the car (on Christmas Eve!) and drove to Library B which, of course, was closed.

Monday on our way to see Sherlock Holmes I'll make dh go in and get the books! Hope they have them all.

Yes! I use two different library systems, one very large with over a dozen libraries in several districts. The other is a much smaller library where I work. People return books to the wrong libraries all the time. We get a lot of public school library books. I've even returned my library's books to the other library system.

What happens depends completely upon the library, and often upon the person receiving the books. Some call the correct library to advice; some do nothing; some get the books back to the proper library. I've had libraries offer to mail books back; I've delivered books back to the other system.

The bummer is the frozen account and the fines. Although it's possible fines could be waived or minimized, depending on policy, and how strictly that policy is followed by the person to whom you speak . . .

I use two different library systems. It's possible that your library A and library B are part of the same system.

If they are two different systems, the library staff will immediately figure out what happened.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Really.

Alley

If they are two different systems, the library staff will immediately figure out what happened.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Really.

Alley

:iagree: Our librarians have said they get books for other libraries all the time. Sometimes they set them aside for the patron to collect, but sometimes they mail them to the correct library. That's nice. I decided not to use 2 library systems after we moved here (near the county line) and the kids complained about the local library being lacking. Then we got overdue books because I just don't go that direction for anything. I pay to be a member of the library system for the next county over, but it's worth it. And no confusion as to which library to return the books to.

• 2 weeks later...
:grouphug: I hate when I thought something was resolved but it really wasn't. Like I return a dvd in the drop box and get a call from the library saying that the disc isn't in there.

porterjy;

Sounds like their janitorial department needs to figure things out.