Menu

WWS books: as is or spiral?

I got the WWS books yesterday (:D) and now need to decide what to do with them physically.

Option one: use them as they are.

Option two: cut off the binding and spiral bind them.

Option three: cut off the binding, get them 3-hole punched, and put the pages in a binder.

I'm rather drawn to option two as that's what I usually do. However, these things are huge! I'm not sure it would work.

What is everyone else doing? :bigear:

I got the pdfs.

I had the student book printed and spiral bound in two volumes. I think it's divided at Week 16 or so. They didn't have a spiral large enough to do it in one volume, but I like having it a little less unwieldy anyway.

I'm not printing the teacher book at this time. So far it's working fine to read it on the computer, so I'll see how that goes.

For those of you that are getting copies made from PDF's, what is the cost running? And cost of the spiral binding?

Just weighing out my options here. I haven't ordered the student book yet because we are still using the sample for dd, but I did order the TM in PDF format. Planning to buy the student book next month, but I honestly can't decide which one to get.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I can't decide either. :(

With WWE, I cut the binding, spiral bound the teacher pages with the covers, place the student pages in a binder so I can place each week's worth of pages into a pocket folder (and only have to purchase student pages for younger kids).

With FLL, I leave the teacher books as is so they are easier to find on the shelf (I am currently using multiple levels), then for 3 & 4 I pull out the student sheets as needed per week.

With SOTW, I cut the binding and hole punch ALL pages, then divide them up behind 42 tab dividers (ie behind each chapter tab there is the Instructor Guide pages, 5 copies of coloring sheet, 3 copies of map work, 1 sheet with additional work listed for oldest). I also have OfficeMax save the strip they cut from the binding and slide it in the binder edge pocket and put the covers into the covers of the binder so it is easier to find on the shelf.

With OPGtTR, I bought the perfect bound copy for my oldest. Then I saw the spiral bound at a convention and thought that would be easier to use with my 2nd DS. It wasn't. I hated it, sold it, bought another perfect bound copy.

I think I am going to leave the WWS Instructor Guide as is, and let my oldest decide what he wants to do with the Student Book.

Staples cut the binding off of WWE4 and made a mess of it. This was after I told her about the mess they made of WWE3 and she promised it wouldn't happen. I lost 2" off the page and they had to put the binding through some of the words. I will never do that again. If I were you, I'd take a sharp exacto knife and it apart. Then take it to staples to have it bound.

I bought the pdfs and loaded them onto their laptops. They have the student pdf, and I have both the student and teacher pdf on mine. There are weeks where I print the assignment, but not every week. It has worked well this way for us.

Are the exercises in the student book amenable to only using a composition notebook instead of the student pages? I do this with WWE since I found the lines too big for ds and so far it has not been an issue at all. Or would they have to copy excessive amounts into their notebooks for this to be feasible?

We haven't had to copy much at all. They each have a 3-ring binder and labelled sections for Summary(I think), Outlines, Topoi, and Reference. This next week we are adding a Copia section to it. They have just used lined paper in all sections and I print out the Day 4 work a lot for them, as it has the section they use to develop their own narration using the facts given. Those also get put in their Topoi section with the rough draft and final versions of that week's narration. It's been a great way to organize it, I do almost no printing beyond the occasional section where they are supposed to mark up paragraphs when defining them in some way.

For those of you that are getting copies made from PDF's, what is the cost running? And cost of the spiral binding?

Just weighing out my options here. I haven't ordered the student book yet because we are still using the sample for dd, but I did order the TM in PDF format. Planning to buy the student book next month, but I honestly can't decide which one to get.

Blessings,

Lucinda

It looks like mine was $9.18. That was for printing and binding two volumes, but now I'm wondering if they forgot to charge me for something because that seems kind of low! But the receipt says $9.18. I had mine done at Staples.

Are the exercises in the student book amenable to only using a composition notebook instead of the student pages? I do this with WWE since I found the lines too big for ds and so far it has not been an issue at all. Or would they have to copy excessive amounts into their notebooks for this to be feasible?

LOVE this idea! We waste SO much paper printing these things (I do not write the kids' narrations, I simply have them practice saying it fluidly). I'll have to remember this for next year.

Option three: cut off the binding, get them 3-hole punched, and put the pages in a binder.

I do this, because that way I can easily remove pages, either to photocopy them, or to allow dc to lay each page on a flat surface to write on. I also use a pagefinder like this one to mark my place, and I can add any pages of my own (notes or whatnot).

I do this with every paperbound book I own. My bookshelves are littered with three-ring notebooks. :)

Staples cut the binding off of WWE4 and made a mess of it. This was after I told her about the mess they made of WWE3 and she promised it wouldn't happen. I lost 2" off the page and they had to put the binding through some of the words. I will never do that again. If I were you, I'd take a sharp exacto knife and it apart. Then take it to staples to have it bound.

Staples messed up my OPGTR when I had it spiral bound...I thought that was an isolated incident, but now I see that it may not be... :001_unsure:

I bought the pdfs and loaded them onto their laptops. They have the student pdf, and I have both the student and teacher pdf on mine. There are weeks where I print the assignment, but not every week. It has worked well this way for us.

I LOVE this idea. We are going to try a modified version of this when school starts back. I'm so tired of paper and BIG binders.

There aren't many exercises in the student book. There are a few where you have to mark up a passage for example, underlining similes and metaphors etc but I just photocopy that page. For the most part, the student book is non-consumable.

Very good to know. We will start WWS next fall. I am leaning toward another poster's idea to just have the .pdf on my dd's laptop and see how she does working from the computer rather than chop up another SWB book.

I've left the books intact and there hasn't been an issue. They pages stay open nicely. It's not like WWE where you are tearing out pages. It's called a student book b/c it's written to the student to encourage independence. It's not a student "Workbook" as in lots of pages to write on. Narrations and outlines are done in the notebook. You have DC set up their WWS notebook which is explained in the WWS student book. Day 1 narrations go in narrations, day 2 outlining goes in outlining, copia skills (day 3,4) goes in Copia. You make reference pages which go in the back. Later you add a divider for literary criticism. 99% of the work is done on paper and placed in the 3-ringer binder.

We (dd & I) decided to spiral bind them. I found a local shop near the university here that could do it without breaking them into two volumes each. It also cost less than Staples. We've found that with a book that thick we prefer the spiral so it lays completely flat, especially as you get closer to the end.