Menu

Talk to me about fake nails!

My nails look terrible. I've had manicures before and love them but just would never pay for that every two weeks. I love the look of the french manicure. So I went to Walmart and found tons of inexpensive kits...then I got overwhelmed about what to buy...then I wondered if they ruin your "real" nail...and I bought nothing. But I sooo want my nails to look nice. Are these kits safe? Is one better than the other? Are there any tips to make this work (or any reason to stay away from these?) Thank you for the help!

They can cause problems with your real nails and infections. A lot depends on how well you take care of them and if you allow your real nails some natural time. I think they are uncomfortable to wear. I would google information on fake nails, but be prepared for some gross stuff.

I would think learning to do your own manicures and finding a simple style (short, clean) that you can maintain would be the easiest way to go.

They can cause problems with your real nails and infections. A lot depends on how well you take care of them and if you allow your real nails some natural time. I think they are uncomfortable to wear. I would google information on fake nails, but be prepared for some gross stuff.

I would think learning to do your own manicures and finding a simple style (short, clean) that you can maintain would be the easiest way to go.

:iagree: and will add that the learning curve for the DIY sort is sort of steep for getting them to look nice and not fail.

Go and have a manicure - if your nails look 'terrible' right now, have them do something very simple. Ask the tech what the minimum essentials are that you would need to do your own nails at home OR watch carefully and make a mental note of what she uses.

Buy those things -- not those fake nail sets at walmart - stay away from them. Emery board, strengthener, moisturizer, polish remover, etc.

Moisturize alot during the week -- and at the end of a week or week and a half, do your own manicure. The way to get your nails looking and staying nice is to keep them 'done.' And, you can do that yourself. Every couple of months, treat yourself to a manicure -- keep them up in the meantime at home. Hope this helps;.

I wore horribly expensive acrylics for years, never one problem. Loved them. Just a fill every few weeks. My very high maintenance lifestyle now gone....lol..but..

I keep mine super super short now just for hygiene reasons and do them every Sunday.

If you have really dry nails, I'd stay away from press/glue ons, just because it can seep through cracks and cause infections under the nail bed.

Having a nail tech remove excess cuticle can make a big difference in a hurry as well. I do mine myself, but if you haven't done it before, better to see someone else do it first so you don't damage your skin.

I wore fake nails for years...pre-kids...got them done at a nail salon...acrylics. Loved them...no problems....except it does ruin your real nails...makes them very dry, thin and yucky looking once you take the acrylics off....they'll recover in a month or so. But my real nails were never that great to begin with.

Marriage, kids..stay at home mom...no more budget for acrylics. Have tried the ones at CVS, Walmart, etc...they are just not as good as what the salon offers. Fall off, don't look right, etc.

Right now, I'm wearing salon acrylics...treat from my mom. Probably be taking them off this week...they need a fill-in and no $$$ for it. But gosh, they looked amazing while I had them!

My friend is an flight attendant and has worn the Broadway nails for years with no problems. You just glue them on and they look great. She replaces them one at a time when they fall off.

Last year my nails got so thin and brittle with menopause. I started using the KISS glue on nails. I loved them. They make your nails look fabulous and last about a week. I had two people ask me where I got my nails done. They look that real.

I used the EF01 real short version of this one:

http://www.kissusa.com/636-8668/Everlasting_French_Nails_-_Chip_Free_Manicure

I stopped wearing them during the summer and it took my nails about 6 weeks to grow out and recover from wearing them. You real nails get trashed from filing and also when you remove them.

Edited by Ferdie

:iagree: Fake nails are really bad for your real nails. Short nails look very good with a dark polish or a nude polish on them, IMO. And, it isn't hard to do a French manicure on a short nail. It just takes a bit of practice and a steady hand.

If you can get them manicured once, then go home and use cuticle oil every evening, they will stay really nice for a long time and you can just push back the softened cuticle instead of having to trim them again. It is also good for the nail itself.

Edited by Audrey