Menu

They did not drink water in the Middle Ages

I am ashamed to say that I did not know this until we started studying the Middle Ages. From what I understand most people did not have good water to drink and only drank wine, even the children. How did they not get dehydrated? It just seems so strange, considering that we are told to drink 8-10 glasses a day. Did the children's bodies just get used to the wine or did they get drunk?

What a different time to live in with such low literacy, so little travel and so much hard physical labor for the peasants!

They mentioned that the beer was lower alcohol than modern beer. The interviewer asked whether everyone was drunk all the time. The historian compared it to a modern office: almost everyone is slightly hyped on caffeine, so you don't notice it. In the middle ages, everyone was slightly drunk, so no one noticed it.

Laura

They mentioned that the beer was lower alcohol than modern beer. The interviewer asked whether everyone was drunk all the time. The historian compared it to a modern office: almost everyone is slightly hyped on caffeine, so you don't notice it. In the middle ages, everyone was slightly drunk, so no one noticed it.

Laura

HA! Love this.