Menu

Help! I want to make a nice beef roast for Christmas

Not a fall apart crock pot type pot roast. I know how to do that. I want a pretty beef roast that I can cook medium rare and slice off nice pieces.

What cut of meat am I looking for? (I'm sure something more expensive than what I usually buy.) I'm willing to spend a little extra but if there is a less expensive option that works I'd like to hear that too.

I'm not doing much that is special this Christmas but I would like to attempt a nice meal for Christmas Eve. Mine aren't picky and won't complain if it isn't perfect but I would really like to attempt to make something nice and special. My boys are pretty into beef :D

Standing rib roast maybe? Those seem to be on sale now.

Thanks.

Get a standing rib roast.

I put on mine a blend of olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and sage and sea salt. Put it in a blender and make a nice paste. I then cover the roast in it and bake at 250-300 for hours. It comes out so good. I also pour Yorkshire pudding batter around the roast sometimes during the last 45 minutes of baking. To die for.

We do a standing rib roast for Christmas every year. It's delish. Let me see if I can find the recipe (it's my mom who does it... Okay, I can't find it, but there are lots of good recipes out there. A little dijon mustard is also in the rub for ours. And you make an AMAZING gravy to go on it too.

Edited by farrarwilliams

We usually splurge and get prime rib a few times a year. When the supermarket had a choice cut rib roast on sale for $5.99 a pound, we tried it and liked it just as much. Have the butcher cut it off the bone and tie back on. It’s much easier to slice. I usually do a rub on the meat, or if I’m lazy will just use an envelope of onion soup mix. Make sure the meat is at room temp, not just out of the fridge. I usually do 15 minutes at 500 degrees, and the rest on 250 - 300 degrees. I tell people dinner will be ready when the meat is ready. A good meat thermometer is a must! My family likes the meat to come out at 140, I would prefer it at 130... I keep the side dishes simple so that the meat takes center stage. Baked potatoes with sour cream, steamed broccoli, a salad, or something along those lines. It is actually one of the easiest meals!

I'd recommend a top round, bottom round, or rump roast. (They have eye of round roasts too, but they're tougher.) Those are what I think of as the classic "roast beef" roasts. They're lean, firm cuts that are very tasty medium rare.

I cook roast beef like this: Preheat the oven to 450. Put the roast in for ten minutes, and then turn the heat down to 250. Roast for an additional 25 minutes per pound for medium rare. When you take it out of the oven, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

I like to serve roast beef with dijon-horseradish cream. It's 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup sour cream, seasoned with about 2tsp dijon mustard and 1 tsp horseradish (or to taste).