Menu

When a kid does well at Calculus...

do you let them stop there? DD17 just finished Calculus AB - supposed to be a year-long high school course, but she finished it in one semester with a solid "A". It was quite a bit of hard work. She would like to stop there and fill in with another elective starting in January (she is a senior) and then pick up with Calc 2 in college.

I'm sort-of wishy washy on this one. On one hand, she did a whole year of work. On the other hand, taking a semester off math seems like a bad idea (use it or lose it). What are your thoughts?

If it helps, she plans to study music on college, so no issues with math credits there....

I'm all for doing math without breaks, but for a music major, I'd think calculus would be plenty. OTOH, if she plans to take calc 2 at the university (which I can't imagine being required for a music major), taking a semester off will make it harder to get back into things.

I would recommend that she either study calc 2 now, or do some light review (not even a for credit course) to keep her math fresh.

Normally I would strongly recommend against a semester off. Given her senior status, demonstrated talent and intended major, though, I'd recommend spending once-a-week reviewing calc AB and let her do the elective otherwise.

Choosing an AP exam practice workbook, even if she's not planning on taking the exam and going with placement testing at the colleges instead, might be a good bet. Otherwise she could just choose problems from the review sections -- I'd choose them towards the end of the sections, i.e. the more difficult problems.

What other classes will she take in the spring?

Is she planning on taking the AP exam? If so, she will end up doing a fair amount of math in March and April to review for the exam.

I am a pro-math person, but I can definitely see a music major stopping math after calculus. If she were my child, whether or not she continued in math would depend on what else she wanted to do. Will she take music history or music theory or basket-weaving 101? If she has a distinct plan for the space in her schedule, I'd let her drop math, but if she doesn't I'd probably encourage her to continue!

(All of my other kids did calculus 2 in high school, but I'm not sure my future music major will get beyond calculus 1)

I'm all for doing math without breaks, but for a music major, I'd think calculus would be plenty. OTOH, if she plans to take calc 2 at the university (which I can't imagine being required for a music major), taking a semester off will make it harder to get back into things.

I would recommend that she either study calc 2 now, or do some light review (not even a for credit course) to keep her math fresh.

:iagree:

If it helps, she plans to study music on college, so no issues with math credits there....

My dd1, who was seriously considering music as a major, was really glad that she did Calculus BC rather than AB. She found the second semester material way more interesting.

Just a data point for you.

hth

~Moira

Will she be taking the AP test in May? If so' date=' then she'll get plenty of review in preparing for the test and I wouldn't worry about her forgetting it all. Hopefully she'll consider keeping up with her math in college and maybe choose it as her minor.[/quote']

I agree. As a music major, I could choose between College Alg, Precalc or Calc to get my 3 hours of math. I chose College Alf. If she takes the AP exam, she won't even have to take any math. Look at her degree plans and see how much math she has to have.

I showed her the replies. She is now open to the idea of doing the AP Review starting in January and also the Calc 2 work (though not with the goal of finishing it by spring). Other than her music, she has a US Government course, German, and a lit class, so fitting in the review won't be too difficult.

Thank you, all!

Just wanted to chime in that I took BC in high school and then took Calc 2 in college (even though I could have taken the credit for it). I was really glad I did. I learned even more and had a great start to college (and got an A). I ended up tutoring Math as a part-time job in college and was a great job. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. :)