Menu

77Kids (American Eagle)? Grrrr.....

I sent this message to them yesterday, which explains pretty much the situation. PS..I forgot that my daughter is actually 8. :blush:

My 7 year old daughter received a card in the mail for her birthday for $7 off an order of $7 or more. She was so excited. She wanted leg warmers. I went to the website, clicked on Girls 5-14, and then used the search box to find leg warmers. 6 items showed up. She looked them over and chose the Rockstar Pink ones, which says One Size (as in one size fits all). We placed the order and she ran to the mailbox every single day, for a week, waiting for them to come. Today they finally arrived, and you can imagine her excitement. Well, they are so tiny, they must be for a baby! She can't even get her foot in them. Why would it say One Size and show up in a search for the Girls 5-14? I had no idea these were a baby size. Nowhere in the description did indicate that they were a baby size. Now I have an extremely disappointed 7 year old who has been hysterically crying for the past half hour. It would have been better for me to have thrown the $7 birthday gift card away. I really think it needs to be specified on your website that the Rockstar Pink leg warmers are for babies.

Here's the reply they sent me today:

Thank you for contacting AE!

We are pleased to have the opportunity to gain valuable feedback from our customers. At AE, we regard the comments and concerns such as those described in your e-mail as tools to use while we continually strive to improve the AE brand. On our 77Kids page, when you select an item after searching, the left side of the page changes to display the "age section" you are in and the links above the item with the age ranges highlights depending on the item selected. Please note that your observations have been forwarded to the appropriate parties to better display this information.

Thanks for being a part of the American Eagle brand!

Sincerely,

Your Friends @ ae.com

This is really what I want to say in reply....but I doubt I will, because I know it sounds nasty....and I am really not a nasty person. And, perhaps it really is my fault for not being able to figure out their website. I had the darndest time each time I went there.....my computer would respond like a snail and I didn't have oodles of time to examine every detail; like the side of the page changing. I still feel that if you are in Girls 5 - 14 and search for an item, that the baby size 0 - 18 months shouldn't show up. And, the item never said it was baby 0 - 18 months....it just said One Size. :glare: Anyway....this is kinda what I want to say:

Well, gee....this was most helpful. Apparently I'm stupid because I had no idea I was moved to the baby department when I was searching in the Girls sizes 5 - 14. Now I'm stuck with a useless item. "Thanks for being a part of the American Eagle brand". I don't think so. The only AE item my daughter would have had would have been the leg warmers....which don't fit. Wow...you guys win the prize for customer satisfaction.

Yep, I know.....that's mean. It does feel good to type it though. :lol: And...I don't know what I really would have wanted to hear from them. I guess that they are sorry their website is set up stupid and that I could exchange the leg warmers for a pair that actually fits an 8 year old. I know it's only like 2 bucks that I had to pay for these (after dd's $7 birthday coupon)....but still. She's so disappointed.

I guess I'll be listing a cute pair of baby leg warmers on eBay.

:rant:

Well, gee....this was most helpful. Apparently I'm stupid because I had no idea I was moved to the baby department when I was searching in the Girls sizes 5 - 14. Now I'm stuck with a useless item. "Thanks for being a part of the American Eagle brand". I don't think so. The only AE item my daughter would have had would have been the leg warmers....which don't fit. Wow...you guys win the prize for customer satisfaction.

I'd respond with a serious reply. We get your sarcasm here, but seriously--based on their first response (which sounded like they just pasted in a stock reply), I think this would go right over their heads and they would truly believe you are happier.

And I would continue to respond. It's reasonable to assume that these would fit your dd, and you should not be out any additional money because they have a poor website search/design.

Any chance you could exchange them in an AE store for the correct leg warmers?

Don't they do returns? I think leaving out all of the extraneous stuff and speaking in small sentences will get you a better result:

I need to return/exchange these legwarmers. They are the wrong size. Size was unclear on the website.

I agree with these!

:grouphug: Sorry your little one was disappointed. That always sucks! :grouphug:

Try calling them?

Any chance you could exchange them in an AE store for the correct leg warmers?

Don't they do returns? I think leaving out all of the extraneous stuff and speaking in small sentences will get you a better result:

I need to return/exchange these legwarmers. They are the wrong size. Size was unclear on the website.

:iagree: One of these would have to do the trick. Exchange them!

Thanks everyone. I will probably call them on Monday and ask for a pair that fit (I will definitely leave out the sarcasm). The bummer is that I'm sure they'll want me to return these, which is understandable....but I don't really want to pay to return them, kwim?

I wish it would be as simple as going right to the store and exchanging them....but the closest store to us is 90 some miles away (at the Mall of America) and we won't get there until next November.

Thanks everyone. I will probably call them on Monday and ask for a pair that fit (I will definitely leave out the sarcasm). The bummer is that I'm sure they'll want me to return these, which is understandable....but I don't really want to pay to return them, kwim?

I wish it would be as simple as going right to the store and exchanging them....but the closest store to us is 90 some miles away (at the Mall of America) and we won't get there until next November.

I am used to larger companies paying postage on returned items, particularly if it is their mistake. I'd expect them to pay return postage, either providing it in the original packaging, or by sending you a link to an address label with prepaid postage. In this case, I'd insist.

:)

That stinks. Their website is kind of a PITA, I agree. I know they normally don't cover returns and it wouldn't be worth it IMO to bother with the return if I had to cover the postage. Maybe you can get them to cover return postage if you call. It can't hurt to try.

You can do in store returns if you have the receipt that came in the box and are located near one of their stores.

I am used to larger companies paying postage on returned items, particularly if it is their mistake. I'd expect them to pay return postage, either providing it in the original packaging, or by sending you a link to an address label with prepaid postage. In this case, I'd insist.

:)

:iagree: If they are really good (I wouldn't be above pointing it out to them either) they would forward you a pair and let you send back the others after you receive the new pair. Better yet just send you the new pair gratis for pointing out the error on their website. You know they pay people to look over websites I'm sure. ;)

I just checked out their website, how confusing. I'm a pretty savvy web person but their search feature isn't good. When you search legwarmer you can't tell you're not in the same section. I searched legwarmer and got some, but it didn't say baby. The only way I knew was the highlighted text above the item, but even that wasn't definitive. Their website needs some refinement.

:iagree: If they are really good (I wouldn't be above pointing it out to them either) they would forward you a pair and let you send back the others after you receive the new pair. Better yet just send you the new pair gratis for pointing out the error on their website. You know they pay people to look over websites I'm sure. ;)

I just checked out their website, how confusing. I'm a pretty savvy web person but their search feature isn't good. When you search legwarmer you can't tell you're not in the same section. I searched legwarmer and got some, but it didn't say baby. The only way I knew was the highlighted text above the item, but even that wasn't definitive. Their website needs some refinement.

YES!!! Thank you Paula......I guess I'm not stupid afterall! Did I tell you that I love you. :001_wub: :lol: