Menu

Then or Than~~ Help a girl out!

The way I've explained it to my kids is that you use "then" when you talking about time or the order of things. We're going to sing Happy Birthday, then have birthday cake.

You use "than" when you're comparing things. I'm taller than you are.

HTH.

Think:

thEn goes with timE

thAn = > <

(try to imagine a sideways "A" in less than/greater than signs)

Perfect! Now I just have to remember these hints. :tongue_smilie:

So thEN is order of things, and thAn is comparing.

Guest submarines
My problem is with effect vs affect. There's a thread here somewhere that I started asking what the difference is of the two.

Gotta edit out my previous advice and excuse myself as being too sleepy. :001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol: (I'm glad that at 3am I can still laugh at myself!)

Edited by sunflowers

Since English is not my first language, I love finding hints for myself that remind me of proper spelling of similar words.

I couldn't come up with anything great for these two words, but this is what worked for me. Think of the first letters of these words. *E*ffect. *A*ffect.

*E*ffect is the v*E*rb.

The most commonly used verb in the homonym family is affect, as in My vacation won't affect your work schedule at all.

The noun that is commonly confused with affect (v) is effect (n), as in My vacation will have no effect on your work schedule.

A rarely used verb is effect, as in You many not effect any workplace changes in the new year until I return from vacation.

A rarely used noun is affect, as in When you see the tan from my vacation, your jealousy may cause you to greet me with a muted affect.

See a nice mnemonic explanation at http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

I should go to bed now.

Guest submarines
The most commonly used verb in the homonym family is affect, as in My vacation won't affect your work schedule at all.

The noun that is commonly confused with affect (v) is effect (n), as in My vacation will have no effect on your work schedule.

A rarely used verb is effect, as in You many not effect any workplace changes in the new year until I return from vacation.

A rarely used noun is affect, as in When you see the tan from my vacation, your jealousy may cause you to greet me with a muted affect.

See a nice mnemonic explanation at http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

I should go to bed now.

Gosh, that's wasn't a good example :lol::lol::lol: (Laughing at myself hysterically here). My only excuse that it is 3AM here.

Another excuse, I clearly want the confused WTMer to be even more confused, as I actually somehow don't confuse 'affect' with 'effect' when I write :lol::lol:

Sorry, ignore all my spelling advice from now on! :lol::lol::lol:

My problem is with effect vs affect. There's a thread here somewhere that I started asking what the difference is of the two.

Then goes with when.

Affect is an action.

Valerie mentioned a few valid exceptions to affect/effect, but you will be fine with the above in unless you tryin' to get all fancy ;)