Menu

Middle Ages Picture books and Read-Alouds...

Marsha

Medieval Feast by Aliki (picture book)

Martin Luther by Paul Maier (picture book)

Adventures in the Middle Ages by Linda Bailey (cartoon-ish but lots of great info)

Castle Diary by Richard Platt (RA)

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Gray (RA)

Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli (RA)

Those were our very favourites from last year.

Edited by heavenlyhoney

Elementary-aged Middle Ages favorites here:

Read Alouds - Historical Fiction

- The Door in the Wall (de Angeli)

- Adam of the Road (Gray)

Read Alouds - NON Fiction

- Brendan the Navigator (Fritz) -- early medieval monk who may have been the first European to discover the New World

- Living in Castle Times (Usborne First History series) (Gee)

- If You Were There: Medieval Times (Mason)

- Usborne Time Traveler (the section on Medieval Europe)

Picture Books

- Illuminations (Hunt) -- beautiful alphabet book showing aspects of medieval life

- Saint George and the Dragon (Hodges)

- The Christmas Knight (Curry)

- Castle Diary (Platt)

- The Good Knight Night Book (A Picture Riddle Book) (Engelman & Riggs)

- The Knight and the Dragon (Paola)

Activities

- Dover stained glass coloring book -- Castles; Cathedrals; Heraldric Designs

- Knights & Castles: 50 Hands-On Activities to Experience the Middle Ages (Hart, Mantell, Kline)

Readers (gr. 2-4) -- NON Fiction

- Journey Through History: Middle Ages (gr. 2) -- Gloria Verges

- Gargoyles (gr. 2) -- Jennifer Dussling

- Joan of Arc (gr. 3-4) -- Shana Corey -- biography

- Days of the Knights: A Tale of Castles and Battles (gr. 3-4) -- Christopher Maynard

Readers (gr. 2-4) -- Historical Fiction

- Sword in the Stone (MacCarone) -- gr. 2

- Viking Adventure (Bulla) -- gr. 2-3

- Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky (Schiller) -- gr. 3

- The Sword in the Tree (Bulla) -- gr. 2-3

- The Minstrel in the Tower (Skurzinsky) -- gr. 2

- The Apple and the Arrow (Buff) -- gr. 3

- Tales of Robin Hood (Allan) -- gr. 3-4

- Robin Hood: Tale of the Great Outlaw Hero (Bull) -- gr. 3-4

Readers (gr. 1-4) -- Silly Fun:

- Good Night, Good Knight (Thomas) -- gr. 1-2

- Dragonslayer Academy series (McMullan) -- gr. 3-4

Edited by Lori D.

Read Alouds - Historical Fiction

- The Door in the Wall (de Angeli)

- Adam of the Road (Gray)

These are the classic choices... and I like them, but I haven't seen a lot of kids really connect with them back when I was teaching so I skipped them with my own kids. I think kids connect much more with Karen Cushman's works - Catherine, Called Birdy, Matilda Bone, The Midwife's Apprentice, and her newest, which I haven't gotten around to reading yet and forget the name of. Also, with Avi's wonderful Crispin series, which begins with Crispin: The Cross of Lead. Both writers feel more contemporary, but the history is just as solid, in my opinion.

These were our favorites, but I didn't really list the read alouds, just the picture books... and Good Masters, Sweet Ladies, which I didn't take to until I read it aloud with the kids. So good that way and a very quick book.

... I haven't seen a lot of kids really connect with them...

Our DSs loved Adam of the Road when we did it as a read-aloud when they were grades 2 and 3. A boy's adventures looking for his kidnapped dog. Need I say more? :tongue_smilie:

But you are right -- "your mileage may vary". I enjoyed Mathilda Bone and Catherine Called Birdy, but skipped them for our boys, as they would have been very bored with so very-teen-girl protagonists. :)

Farrarwilliams, I always enjoy hearing your book lists, as I can tell you enjoy young adult books, too! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Adam of the Road was by and far our very favorite when we did that time period four years ago. We felt like we got a very good picture of what life was like in the middle ages, but more than that, we just thought the book was great--it wasn't slow moving, and kept our attention.

We loved this book!

Because dd wasn't initially interested in studying the middle ages, I sifted through the books at our local bookstore and found several intricate pop up books about castles and knights. They had a surprising amount of info. packed into them. She loved the format, and ended up reading them cover to cover, repeatedly! She also likes David Macaulay's book about castles.

These were our favorites, but I didn't really list the read alouds, just the picture books... and Good Masters, Sweet Ladies, which I didn't take to until I read it aloud with the kids. So good that way and a very quick book.

Oooh, I just looked at your list. Dd loved any of those books we read. I'll check all the rest out of the library. I ended up buying Neil Philip's version of The Arabian Nights because we renewed it so many times.