Menu

worm infestation

I treat most of my animals at home, taking them to the vet only when needed. That said, has anyone treated a puppy for worms themselves? Our Tractor Supply sells all kinds of medication. I know our puppy has round worms as I saw him poop them out today. He also is trying to vomit a few times in the past few days. I'm now certain it's the worms.

He will be going to the vet for a check and to schedule a neuter, but he needs treatment now. I will take him in if I need to but am trying to see if I can treat his worms myself. I'm pretty positive I can but want to see if anyone here has done that themselves.

FWIW, I have a farm and have given shots to cats, dogs, horses, pigs and llamas, have treated all for many things, and regularly worm my horses, pigs and llamas, so this really doesn't make me nervous. I'll be giving said puppy all his booster shots myself at the appropriate time.

I guess you can try to treat it yourself but my dog had a bad case of some kind of worms last year that I was very glad for vets help. It took a few tries at medicine to get the right kind that finally got rid of it. I would not hesitate to recommend standard deworming for someone with a lot of animals when there is no problem. The problem ones are where I think I would go to a vet. There are many kinds of worms and they don't all get the same treatment.

well...... in reading more, I'm concerned because his gums appear pale to me.

We will be going to the vet today. I also need input as to whether or not we should worm all four dogs or just the puppy. I'm thinking we're going to have to worm everyone.

I also want him tested for the worms not normally seen in the poo samples.

If his gums are pale you're probably dealing with hookworms as well as roundworms. I believe safeguard takes care of both types (google it). I use horse wormer (Safeguard ONLY - too easy to overdose on ivermectin wormers). You can find the dosage online as well with some searching... or just by the puppy wormer packets at the store. Just remember that you have to worm usually 3 days in a row - 1 day won't cut it.

I'm worried because he isn't eating today and he's mainly just laying around. NOT like him at all. Mornings are his most active time!

He showed NO symptoms at all (when he tried to vomit last week it was after he ate "something" outside, and then the night before last confused me, then last night...... now I'm worried!) until today. He has played and ate as normally as puppies do. I'm worried now just waiting until 5:20. I'm glad he's going to get checked out.

I will be worming my other dogs and 2 cats myself, puppy is going to get seen.

When I told the vet tech he was 9 weeks old, she asked me if he was neutered. :scared:

I'm worried because he isn't eating today and he's mainly just laying around. NOT like him at all. Mornings are his most active time!

He showed NO symptoms at all (when he tried to vomit last week it was after he ate "something" outside, and then the night before last confused me, then last night...... now I'm worried!) until today. He has played and ate as normally as puppies do. I'm worried now just waiting until 5:20. I'm glad he's going to get checked out.

When I told the vet tech he was 9 weeks old, she asked me if he was neutered. :scared:

Hmmm....if he's acting "off" so that you're worried about waiting through the day for him to be seen, you might try calling the vet and asking if they can squeak him in earlier as you're worried about his lethargy, etc.

And I hear you on the neutering. In fact, your vet might not like to hear this, but I'd recommend waiting to neuter him until at least one year old. There's a lot of research that points to early spay/neuter as a cause for bone cancer, etc. Also, it's a combination of hormones that close growth plates when it's time. When that source is removed, the growth plates often go on to grow and grow and grow, which is not healthy and can lead to a whole host of problems.

Just my two cents.

astrid

Guest submarines

She might have thought that if he was recently neutered his body could have been weaker? (Do they get weaker after neutering? I could be totally off.)

I hope all goes well. Poor pup. I'd be so worried too.

She might have thought that if he was recently neutered his body could have been weaker? (Do they get weaker after neutering? I could be totally off.)

I hope all goes well. Poor pup. I'd be so worried too.

And some shelters are neutering at 8 weeks to prevent unwanted puppies/kittens.

astrid

Hmmm....if he's acting "off" so that you're worried about waiting through the day for him to be seen, you might try calling the vet and asking if they can squeak him in earlier as you're worried about his lethargy, etc.

And I hear you on the neutering. In fact, your vet might not like to hear this, but I'd recommend waiting to neuter him until at least one year old. There's a lot of research that points to early spay/neuter as a cause for bone cancer, etc. Also, it's a combination of hormones that close growth plates when it's time. When that source is removed, the growth plates often go on to grow and grow and grow, which is not healthy and can lead to a whole host of problems.

Just my two cents.

astrid

wow! I've *never* heard of waiting that long, but I've not had a puppy in so long that I don't remember what age we spayed/neutered. I will definitely check into this. Good info. Thanks!

You're welcome. Just google "dangers of early spaying and neutering" and you'll find a lot of info. It's a relatively new way of thinking. Our dogs have almost always been spayed or neutered after age 5 or so because we show them, but most breeders I know are recommending that pet puppy buyers wait to spay or neuter. I"ll try to dig up some links....

astrid

You're welcome. Just google "dangers of early spaying and neutering" and you'll find a lot of info. It's a relatively new way of thinking. Our dogs have almost always been spayed or neutered after age 5 or so because we show them, but most breeders I know are recommending that pet puppy buyers wait to spay or neuter. I"ll try to dig up some links....

astrid

wow. There is a LOT of information out there. I had no idea!

I'm leaving the windows up so I can read them later. Heading out shortly.

Thanks!!!!!

wow. There is a LOT of information out there. I had no idea!

I'm leaving the windows up so I can read them later. Heading out shortly.

Thanks!!!!!

Here's the most concise, and well-documented one:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf

an excerpt is here:

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially

immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated

with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

On the positive side, neutering male dogs

• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer

• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders

• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas

• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

On the negative side, neutering male dogs

• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a

common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.

• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6

• triples the risk of hypothyroidism

• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment

• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems

• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer

• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers

• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders

• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

I wouldn't use horse wormer on a baby puppy, which I think this is.

astrid

It's the exact same medication that they give to baby puppies in the vet clinic-it's pyrantel pamoate either way. The dosage is .1 ml per lb. It's a very mild wormer as is fenbendazole, also available over the counter. Much less expensive in the horse paste than the dog/puppy tablets.

I waited (still am waiting) to neuter my male pup-he's just over a year old right now. He's a GP so I wanted his bones/body to be as strong as they could be.

If you have a regular vet, they will likely be willing to dispense an appropriate dewormer now, especially if you go ahead and get that neuter/etc appointment made.

If I were you, I'd suggest going in to the vet today (or ASAP), getting a weight done, a set of vaccines going, and dewormer prescribed. The vet can check for WHICH dewormer to use (ideally by doing a fecal examination using Zinc Sulfate / Centrifugation method) and then prescribe doses for today and future doses. Generally you want to deworm every 2 weeks until they are about 4 months old and then they go on a monthly heartworm preventative that includes intestinal parasite control meds.

Each dewormer is different in which parasites they control and how frequently you need to redose. This is why it is best to have a vet identify which parasites are an issue (via fecal and/or knowledge of your area's risks) and also why it is best to have them prescribe.

I would not self prescribe. Call your vet. Make the appts, and ask how to go about getting a dewormer going ASAP.

The vet might be willing/able to prescribe & dispense dewormer for additional doses, with instructions on how much to give per kg (or lb) of weight, and then you'd just need to reweigh every 2-3 weeks to dose appropriately. Ask about this if it is important to you.

You are RIGHT that deworming is vital at this age. Nearly all kittens and puppies have loads of intestinal parasites and need to be dewormed on a schedule every 2-3 weeks. Puppies and kittens die all the time from intestinal parasites and/or flea infestations. They lose so much nutrition and/or blood that their tiny bodies can't take it.

HTH

Astrid, thanks for that info. I've been reading about it tonight. I'm thankful you told me this!!!

When I got home to take Cooper to the vet, he was happy, lively and playful. Dd tried to walk/run/play with him for half an hour to get him to poo again but it didn't work. Since it was a cooler day today I picked up the pile he left this morning, worms and all, and took it to the vet with him. The vet said it's a severe manifestation (which makes me believe the breeder didn't worm) and he may recommend 3 dosages instead of two. Cooper was totally himself in the vet's office, and he ate a whole bowl of food before we left, another a few hours later. I gave him his first dose of pyrantel pamoate a few hours back.

On the phone I was told that they wouldn't be dispensing meds to animals they haven't seen in the past year, so I was going to run to Tractor Supply to get meds for my other dogs and cats, but the vet did give me enough medication to treat all of them. It's a liquid medication, not pills.

Cooper was being so obnoxious :lol: that I forgot to mention the pale gums. I'm really not surprised anyway because he really had a LOT of worms.

I was SO worried this morning, thankful that he's back to himself tonight. I'm thankful I took him in and got him checked out. I was worried about one of his legs but the vet told me it was a puppy leg.:lol: That's also what the breeder told me.

Astrid, don't read this part.

We had him sleeping in bed with us. I never intended to do this, but after driving 18 hours to get him, I just didn't care. I put him in bed so that we could SLEEP and be rested for the return trip. Then when we got home we were so tired........... so we kept it up. We knew it wasn't going to work long term but....... well I read Astrid's advice to another poster today and we need to work on getting him to sleep beside the bed. Anyway, now we've also been exposed. We have to call our doctors to see if WE need worming medication.

:svengo:

NAKIA: ARE YOU READING THIS?