Menu

Living life with new puppy. How?

I've cleared my schedule through January with the exception of tomorrow (got a puppy sitter) and Sundays. We're usually gone for about four hours, possibly five. We're crate training but 5 hours seems like a long time for a 9-15 week old puppy. Should I just diligently train during the week and hope for the best? What are some of my options?

Our puppy is only about 16 weeks and it's our first dog ever, so I'm no expert, but she was able to go 4-5 hours when we first got her at 8 weeks. I would think every puppy is different, though. Is there a neighbor who could come over and take the puppy out when you're gone for an extended time?

I've cleared my schedule through January with the exception of tomorrow (got a puppy sitter) and Sundays. We're usually gone for about four hours, possibly five. We're crate training but 5 hours seems like a long time for a 9-15 week old puppy. Should I just diligently train during the week and hope for the best? What are some of my options?

Can you gate him into an empty bathroom? A bathroom is the easiest room to clear out, but he'd still have more space than a crate. Accidents would be easier to clean up too.

Can you gate him into an empty bathroom? A bathroom is the easiest room to clear out, but he'd still have more space than a crate. Accidents would be easier to clean up too.

Just a warning-we put our puppy in the bathroom when we first got him, and he clawed a nice sized chunk out of the bathroom door. :glare:

We're on unfenced acreage. There is a possibility that dh can build puppy an outdoor area between now and January when we start co-op again. Considering the bathroom idea for Sundays. We're practicing the indoor kennel right now and staying out of that area for short periods so he can get used to being alone.

YAY, PUPPY!

Make sure you don't get him to rely on your presence. Gradually move the mattress away until you're in the next room. His littermates slept snuggled up with him, so he's used to companionship. He'll get used to going to sleep by himself, so don't worry about him feeling abandoned!

astrid

Our new puppy is 11 weeks old. He sleeps for 10-11 hours at night without a potty break! We haven't left him for more than 4 hours crated (during the day)and he's been fine. I've noticed that over the past few weeks, his ability to control his bladder is improving ( we used to take him out every 20 minutes, he can easily go 30 minutes now.... When he's inclined:tongue_smilie:).

Be careful about using the bathroom as an "allowable" place to go. It might be nice for an occasional place to leave puppy where he might have an accident and it would be easier to clean, but you don't want him to think that it is a perfectly acceptable place (which it might turn into if he stays in there a lot and uses it periodically).

YAY, PUPPY!

Make sure you don't get him to rely on your presence. Gradually move the mattress away until you're in the next room. His littermates slept snuggled up with him, so he's used to companionship. He'll get used to going to sleep by himself, so don't worry about him feeling abandoned!

astrid

What?? I usually agree with you, but unless you're nervous about a dominance issue, I don't understand this. I slept with my sweetie in his crate... in his room... and only moved it into a room off the hall... because our room needed the space.

But, I love to just pop our puppy (all 70 lbs) into the van and take him around with us. He wouldn't know what to do if he was treated like a dog :)

PS, if I was leaving him, I'd do it in the crate so there were no accidents. Better to not get in the habit of leaving accidents :(

What?? I usually agree with you, but unless you're nervous about a dominance issue, I don't understand this. I slept with my sweetie in his crate... in his room... and only moved it into a room off the hall... because our room needed the space.

But, I love to just pop our puppy (all 70 lbs) into the van and take him around with us. He wouldn't know what to do if he was treated like a dog :)

PS, if I was leaving him, I'd do it in the crate so there were no accidents. Better to not get in the habit of leaving accidents :(

I can see her point as in, I wanted a dog, not a new baby. ;) Once he's house trained, he'll be allowed to sleep in my room on the floor if he wants. I don't think the sleeping is going to be an issue though. In fact, he's been asleep in his crate for an hour now and hasn't had a problem unless I walk by but then he settles himself quickly. I'm planning to get him out in a minute to take him outside, then I'm headed to my own bed tonight. We'll see how this goes! :)

The most helpful house training tip about leaving a puppy a long time came from my vet. I'm assuming it's true. It worked for me.

We had to leave for several hours like you once the pup was crate-trained. He stayed in his crate fine and then really had to go when we got home. But then 15 minutes later, he'd pee in the house (usually while I was trying to get the car unloaded and put things away.) I thought he was mad at me.

When we saw the vet, he said that once the bladder is full, the kidneys slow down. Once the pup is able to pee, the kidneys crank up again and they really do have to pee again 15 minutes later. So he recommended staying out on the leash longer when I got home or taking him back out in 15 minutes. Worked like a charm and with every dog since. They often need to do the exact same thing in the morning after a long night's sleep. I just thought I'd mention it, because it's something I wish I'd known years earlier.

Now see, I'm a firm believer that dogs should be treated (mostly) as a dog. It's what they understand, the language they speak. It's where they're most comfortable. I'm kind of not sure what you're talking about in the rest of your post, as we take our dogs everywhere with us too. They spend all day with us, and go places in the car with us. But I do not want to be bothered by them at night. Everyone has a place to sleep, including us. We didn't do "family bed" with dd and we don't do it with the dogs.

Alenee has a German Shepherd puppy who will grow to be close to 80 lbs, most likely. If he learns that sleep time = mom time, it's quite possible he will not learn to settle at night without the familiar presence of Mom next to him. Remember, he just left the familiar, round-the-clock presence of mom and littermates. BUT, he transitioned into the comforting night time presences of the OP. And if she's sleeping next to him, then suddenly stops, that can be hard, and result in lots of shrieking long into the night. Dogs need to learn to be independent. They need to develop confidence that they are okay in their world and don't need to hide behind mom's skirts or be picked up. Unless she wants this 80 lb. adult male German Shepherd to sleep between she and her dh in bed, I suggested she wean him from the constant presence.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

astrid

Edited by astrid

When we saw the vet, he said that once the bladder is full, the kidneys slow down. Once the pup is able to pee, the kidneys crank up again and they really do have to pee again 15 minutes later. So he recommended staying out on the leash longer when I got home or taking him back out in 15 minutes. Worked like a charm and with every dog since. They often need to do the exact same thing in the morning after a long night's sleep. I just thought I'd mention it, because it's something I wish I'd known years earlier.

YES. THIS.

astrid

Awww Astrid :)

I see..... we differ on children... I mean dogs :) My 8 year old would still choose to sleep with us every night :) He only gets to occasionally. I do treat my dog like.... a dog.... :) Kinda of ;) I know you're great with your animals... I was mostly just teasing you :) I read what you say about your pups... I wish that I took the time to do more training with him; he would like that.... I'm sure your dogs are treated great! :)

if we needed to be out longer than they could wait. 1 hour per month old is the general rule of thumb. Put the crate in your car, and take a break in the middle of your time out to walk him for a few minutes. Maybe you can eve get some socializing in if you are with a group. Getting a puppy out into public early is also very important.