Menu

Help! Can you American ladies give me the low down on Land's End?

I am trying, unsuccessfully so far, to find good quality nightdresses and underwear for Rabbit and Pooh. I can get Land's End here, but only online - there are no stores locally. Are they any good, quality-wise? I am SO FED UP with bad quality nightwear, that develops little bobbles all over the fabric.

So what's your opinion of Land's End? Are the clothes good quality?

(Both girls are big for their ages - Rabbit is 13-14yrs and Pooh is 11-12yrs.)

I love Land's End. Their quality is excellent. I can pass down clothes from older dd to younger dd. I have not ever had any problems with their clothes falling apart. I wear their items, too. Their shoes will last longer than you want to wear them. I did have one bathing suit that faded prematurely. LE replaced it. I don't think it was their fault, just a hyper-chlorinated pool. I like Land's End Canvas, too.

LL Bean is another good company that is similarly priced to LE.

I should add that I only wash my shirts and the girls' fleece pjs in Woolite and air dry them. I have had no pilling problem on those items, nor on the other items that I wash in Tide or homemade laundry soap and put in the dryer. LE has awesome clearance sales! Their full retail prices can be expensive, but they have clearance prices that definitely make buying them worth it.

Edited by AdamsFamily

Their quality on many things has gone down this past year, so read the reviews. Many of the t-shirt material stuff is just too, too thin now. My girls love their dresses, but I doubt the ones I just got will last through them all, like the older ones. We had a few shirts that they wore *once*, left wet, mildewed, and then tore holes in the mildew areas when washed. It was that thin. (sure the shirt was ruined with mildew stains, but at least they still could have worn them for play! Nope.) Sign up for their mailing list and they sent out promos quite frequently. They also have *great* clearance sales. I have bought just about everything LE we own on a clearance sale and rarely paid shipping. (the ruined shirts were $3.50 each) I find a lot of stuff for me and the girls, not so much cheap, cheap stuff for ds.

Edited by Scuff

Very good quality. My children are small and don't grow out of clothes quickly. For example, I bought a pair of Lands End jeans in size 5 just before my son's 5th birthday. I knew they would be a little large but they were quite big (he is quite small). He wore the jeans rolled up and went on his way. He turns 7 next month and he is still wearing those jeans. They are unrolled and might not fit by the end of the winter. But, they have not faded or ripped or anything. My dh asked me when I got him new jeans because they look so good. To be fair, they were not worn in the warm weather and my kids are not super hard on clothes, but those things have really lasted.

My elder son was given three sets of pajamas from LE by his grandmother. These were very nice pajamas and actually looked like outfits. He wore those darn things every day for years and years and years. I cannot believe they held up so well. They are a bit faded, but what they went through was beyond what one would expect from pajamas. He wore those things to little league practice! Now, my younger son wears them and they show no sign of falling apart.

I see you are in the UK? The UK does not have flammability requirements like the States--that is why all jammies made in the States is thin and skin-tight if it is cotton, or made of non-flammable synthetics. Because of this, we get a lot of our jammies from the UK as my sister lives there. DD6 has this from there and has also gotten some lovely other pieces from there in the past.

Thanks for all your "reviews"! More are always welcome :)

I see you are in the UK? The UK does not have flammability requirements like the States--that is why all jammies made in the States is thin and skin-tight if it is cotton, or made of non-flammable synthetics. Because of this, we get a lot of our jammies from the UK as my sister lives there. DD6 has this from there and has also gotten some lovely other pieces from there in the past.

Oh yes - The Little White Company is fab, but they don't do children's clothes beyond 11-12yrs :sad: I could get Pooh's nightdress from there, but I'm still stuck for Rabbit's.

You could probably buy a small grown-up sized nightgown for Rabbit. LE has women's flannel nightgowns in sizes Petite XS on up. I recommend signing up for their email sales, or just keep checking their web page, particularly their Overstocks.

I wish we lived near a LE Inlet store (their brick & mortar discount outlets).

GardenMom

I've bought Land's End since my kids were babies. Even though I've had problems with some of their products I will continue to shop with them for many things that we need. LE will take back any of their products for any reason at any time. I bought my kids' backpacks from LE 4 years ago. Each time a zipper breaks all I have to do is contact LE and they immediately send out a replacement backpack. They don't even require me to return the broken one before they ship out a new one. They've always been more than fair and you can't beat their customer service.

Another company you might check out is www.hannaandersson.com Their sleepwear is wonderful- very expensive, but well made.

lanz of salzburg makes lovely night dresses for girls and women...

here's a link

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/Sleepwear/Women&aposs_Sleepwear/Lanz_of_Salzburg/101414?searchid=7MY1SRCH&feedid=googlenonbrand&jadid=9119005338&jk=lanz%20of%20salzburg%20nightgowns.&js=1&jmt=1_e_&jp=&jkId=8a8ae4cd33a972ab0133addb18994263&jt=1&jsid=20123&gclid=COHOvo6K4qwCFeldtgodamKinQ

there are several ebay offerings that indicate they ship to the uk....

when we lived there, we used to find things at debenham's....

hth,

ann

Very good lasting quality and customer service.

I'm wearing their cotton, ladies, sleep t's, here and wash them every time. I've got three that are over 7 years old and two that are 2 years old. The two year old ones still look like new.

Hanna Andersson also has amazing kids cotton clothes. We passed every item down to cousins and they passed them down to brothers and sisters.

Land End is a good quality store. If I could afford them I'd buy their stuff.

You should sign up for their emails. I don't think I've ever bought anything there that wasn't on sale or in the Overstocks section, and they have specials and free shipping offers all the time (for example, I got DD some shirts for $3 or $4 this summer).

OP, you might also try Children's Place for sleepwear.

Edited by WordGirl