Menu

Contact lens users?

I am going this weekend to get a contact lens exam which I am very excited about:) I have not worn contacts for over 15 years which was before I had lots of children.

So, I am hoping that I can do this without alot of problems. The last time I had contacts I could only get the kind that you have to take out and clean every night. I am hoping I can get daily or weekly wear contacts this time.

Which type would you recommend for a busy lifestyle? Which do you feel is the easiest?

Thanks in advance for the advice and input.

I have the Acuvue Oaysys. I've worn contacts since I was 13, and these are THE most comfortable lenses I've ever had. I take them out every night, I cannot stand to sleep in them. I rinse them with solution and pop them in the case. The new solutions serve for cleaning and storing.

I wear them for about a month before changing them, but I don't wear them every day. If you keep them in for a week, then you are supposed to change them out every week. If you wear them every day, but take them out at night then you are supposed to change them out every 2 weeks.

I have the Acuvue Oaysys. I've worn contacts since I was 13, and these are THE most comfortable lenses I've ever had. I take them out every night, I cannot stand to sleep in them. I rinse them with solution and pop them in the case. The new solutions serve for cleaning and storing.

I wear them for about a month before changing them, but I don't wear them every day. If you keep them in for a week, then you are supposed to change them out every week. If you wear them every day, but take them out at night then you are supposed to change them out every 2 weeks.

These are the kind I have too. I do wear them for a month - every day. I take them out at night, and change them when they start to feel dirty.

Enjoy the contacts!!! I hate the days when I need to wear my glasses! :)

If you had problems with contacts in the past, I would not recommend the ones you wear at night. Taking them out daily is much better for the health of your eyes. I should put in a new pair every so many weeks, but it's usually 2-3 months. Eye doctors always fuss at me, but also say that since I take them out every day, it is less of a problem.

Most of the problems I had with them before was due to my job as an assembler. I had to use a lot of chemicals and worked overtop of a hot plate which dried my eyes out.

I no longer work outside of the home thankfully the kids keep me busy enough!

I also had a little problem with not being able to get cleansing solution off of contacts, but sounds like I will not have to deal with that with the throw away kind.

Most of the problems I had with them before was due to my job as an assembler. I had to use a lot of chemicals and worked overtop of a hot plate which dried my eyes out.

I no longer work outside of the home thankfully the kids keep me busy enough!

I also had a little problem with not being able to get cleansing solution off of contacts, but sounds like I will not have to deal with that with the throw away kind.

The cleaning solution and storing solution are now one. You don't have to worry about those gritting cleaning solutions any more.

I am going this weekend to get a contact lens exam which I am very excited about:) I have not worn contacts for over 15 years which was before I had lots of children.

So, I am hoping that I can do this without alot of problems. The last time I had contacts I could only get the kind that you have to take out and clean every night. I am hoping I can get daily or weekly wear contacts this time.

Which type would you recommend for a busy lifestyle? Which do you feel is the easiest?

Thanks in advance for the advice and input.

Ok, I'm going to give you an opinion which may be quite unpopular...

It would be best if you didn't wear your contacts for long periods of time. I started wearing mine in December of 1996, and I wore them every day, from when I got up in the morning til I went to bed at night. I always took them out to sleep. I took good care of my lenses, got my rx checked regularly, and overall did everything that every good contact lens wearer does.

In August I was having major eye redness and pain, particularly in my left eye. When I went in, I had an infection and an ulcer on my left eye, and the blood vessels in both eyes were growing where they weren't supposed to because of the lack of oxygen due to contact lens use. They asked if I was a contact lens 'abuser' so to speak, and I said I didn't think so but apparently I was.

Thankfully I didn't end up with any long term effects from this, aside from a scar on my cornea which is just outside my field of vision. However things could have been much, much worse. I do have contacts again (I use biofinity now - used to use acuvue but they were drying my eyes out a lot) but I only wear them maybe 2-3 days a week. This week I have to wear them every night (musicals/dress rehearsals) and it is freaking me out a little, even though I'm not putting them in until right before I leave and I'm taking them out as soon as I get home. They don't feel comfortable anymore - a lot of things have been affected.

I know that my story is NOT the norm. I'm not trying to say that this will happen to everyone, or even to the majority of people. Just be careful. :) No matter what the contact lens companies may say, NO lens is as good as being 'just like your normal eye' or whatever as they say it is. Your eyes need breathing time.

The newer contacts allow much more oxygen to your eye than the old type. Also, eye doctors now look for early signs of "overwearing." At my last visit my eye doctor told me that my left eye was barely starting to show signs of overwear, and that I needed to wear my glasses for at least one day a week.

I wear the Air Optix lenses to help with the oxygen problem. I take them out nightly and try to limit my wearing to 12 hours per day or less. This often means not putting my contacts in until lunch time.

I use a multi-purpose solution for disinfection.

DH had LASIK surgery and thinks I should get it too. It honestly terrifies me. What if I go blind??

Today's lenses are remarkable compared to lenses in the past! I've worn contacts since I'm 15-16 years old (so 30 years) and have migrated over the years from daily wear that lasted a year, to daily wear disposables, to the last 15 years wearing extended wear lenses that I sleep in. In 30 years of wearing lenses, I've never had a problem - and still do not need even rewetting drops....my eyes just like lenses. I really like never having to clean them and that when I take out the old, I toss and replace with a fresh pair (I do, and have since starting to wear extended contacts, give my eyes at least a 24-hour break between taking out the old and putting in a new pair). I use each pair only a week....so I go through 52 pairs a year.

Also in the last 15 years I've experienced three improvements in my vision (where my prescription is downgraded) - when I started wearing lenses my right eye was a -4.00 and my left a -3.75....they're now (last visit was last week) -3.00 in my right and -2.50 in my left. My eye doctor has been surprised through the years, but we figure by the time I'm 65, maybe I'll finally have 20/20 again (joke).

Like others, I use the Accuvue Oaysys and have for the last five or so years. They are, by far, IMO, the most comfortable lenses available.

If you are going to be new to contacts again, your eye doctor is going to suggest starting off slowly - a few hours a day and to do that for about a month, then bump up to full day wear and do that for a few months. If your long-term goal is to be able to leave them in overnight, you'll work up toward that and then try it for an overnight to see how you do once, and only once, you'll comfortable wearing the lenses for extended hours during your waking hours.

Edited by Tigger

Dailies... whatever dailies you choose. I think mine are Acuvues? I did a price match.... found the least expensive online and then called 1-800-CONTACTS and they did a price match. I just ordered a whole year for $275. When you figure ouot the cost of solution, sometimes one tears of it gets caught in the little seam that are around the disposable case.... I have allergies and they are GREAT for not collecting pollen...

Have Fun!! :)

I wear the Air Optix lenses to help with the oxygen problem. I take them out nightly and try to limit my wearing to 12 hours per day or less. This often means not putting my contacts in until lunch time.

I use a multi-purpose solution for disinfection.

DH had LASIK surgery and thinks I should get it too. It honestly terrifies me. What if I go blind??

I would LOVE to get LASIK!!! :) That's the plan in another year/year and a half or so, and then I'd be rid of pesky contacts and pesky glasses!! :D

I just started wearing them again after 7 years. I stopped because my eyes were always dry when wearing them. Mrs. Mungo and others are right - today's lenses are so different. Even in just 7 years the difference is amazing. I first started wearing lenses in the late seventies, when there was no such thing as extended wear lenses. I've worn many types (though never hard) and many brands over the years. I never liked sleeping in lenses though I did it occasionally in the past. I still prefer to take them out at night.

Mine are Aqua Clear by Vision Source. I never heard of that brand before, but they're extremely comfortable. I love that the new solutions are no-rub and are both the cleaning and rinsing solution in one.

Good luck. I had forgotten how nice it is to have good peripheral vision, and to not be looking through frames all the time. I'm really glad I decided to give contacts another try. I think you'll be pleased and surprised at how comfortable the newer lenses are.

Another vote for Acuvue Oaysys.

And fyi.....if you ever come home from picking up your brand new boxes of contacts and then forget them in the car overnight in January in WI.....and you don't remember until the next day that they are in the car.....and you run panic striken to the car and find your contacts frozen solid.....don't have a heart attack....just :chillpill:.....when they thaw out they are just fine.

Been there done that. :D

Thanks to everyone for the information. I have some money left in my beneflex this year so price is not a huge deal since I have to use it or loose it. :glare:

But for future reference where is the best place to get contacts? Online in person at office? Any place to stay away from? We do have a local Wal-Mart is it difficult to just get your prescription and shop around?

Jenny

I have been a contact lens wearer since I have been 13(I am 44 now). ITA with the poster who said she went and saw her Dr and her eyes were red and ended up with cornea issues. The same thing happened to me. I don't care what lens you get. You should never wear them from morning until night. Ever.

Yes, the lenses today do provide for much more oxygen then past contact lenses, but still not enough and it can damage your eyes permanently where you may never be able to wear them.

Also, if you have a good Dr. YOU will not pick out the brand of lenses. He will. Based on your eye exam, kind of work you do, your lifestyle etc.

Also, there is a huge difference in saline solutions. Some people can handle the cheap Walmart kind(I don't recommend that), or some can only use the more expensive brands. You can be highly allergic to certain salines.

Personally, I would never order my lenses on-line or at walmart. Online, they might be a little cheaper, but your Dr is not going to warranty anything. (Not his product from his office).

When you get your lenses you should be brought back in for another eye exam, and have him look at your eyes to make sure they are agreeing with you okay.

I have learned my lesson. I wear my glasses in the morning until I take a shower, and take them out after dinner if I am not going anywhere. Prior to that, I was wearing them from the time I woke up, until the time I went to bed. Sometimes even falling asleep in them.

And if they say 30 day lenses, the mean, 30 day lenses. I wouldn't change mine until they started to feel gritty. Could be 2-3 months before I would put another set in.

Just be careful, don't overwear them. And let the Dr decide which lens is best for you.

I love my contacts. I LOATHE glasses. I am not a candidate for any LASIKS. My vision is to far gone now. I would still have to wear contacts or glasses. Just a weaker prescrption. No thanks.

Good luck, and you will love them once you get them!

Thanks to everyone for the information. I have some money left in my beneflex this year so price is not a huge deal since I have to use it or loose it. :glare:

But for future reference where is the best place to get contacts? Online in person at office? Any place to stay away from? We do have a local Wal-Mart is it difficult to just get your prescription and shop around?

Jenny

The come in about 3 days from the 1-800-Contacts place ;)