Menu

High school spelling help...

I have a copy of Sequential Spelling the Adult 1 and 2 you are welcome to. It did make a difference for my daughter. It was really weird because the way it's set up is that it seems SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy all the way through. And yet, a year later, the kid could spell (my daughter struggles with dysgraphia).

Anyway, like I said, you're welcome to it :)

For those that have done Sequential Spelling or Apples, how did you convince your high schooler that this was worth investing time in? I ordered apples and it looked so easy I sent it back. I know my poor speller could spell those words, yet this is the 2nd time I've heard someone say they've seen a significant difference after using this.

One of my dds used Phonetic Zoo in 9th & 10th grades. Her spelling went from abominable to pretty good. She's a very auditory learner, and hearing the words and spelling them to herself made a huge difference for her.

Anne

One of my dds used Phonetic Zoo in 9th & 10th grades. Her spelling went from abominable to pretty good. She's a very auditory learner, and hearing the words and spelling them to herself made a huge difference for her.

Anne

What level did she start with?

I found learning to "speed" on a word processor program (like microsoft word) has helped my son immensely. Now when he types his rough drafts he recieves immediate feedback on his spelling from the outside source (spell check, not Mom!) - and since the typing is easy for him he is not overloaded getting his spelling errors highlighted for him. It doesn't sovle all his spelling difficulties, which are huge, but it has made a big difference for him. I used the AVKO typing/spelling program.

Myra

We used the Adult version which helped immensely, but we didn't see the results right away. We tried many different spelling programs when he was younger, but he always relied on his great visual and auditory memory to remember the spellings just long enough to get 100's on his tests. Then he would be totally clueless the next day and not be able to spell one word. We finally tried the Adult Sequential Spelling in 7th grade, and I can remember his commenting that he was getting it, that it made more sense to him how they start with on three letter word and build from there. But it wasn't until 9th that he started to spell almost everything correctly. Some of this may be due to lots of writing assignments that gave him practice along with spell check and some may have been his conversing for hours with friends over the internet (for all to see the mispellings - humiliating, more at stake?).

But he is dysgraphic so we still have other challenges (even after Handwriting Without Tears)..he capitalizes letters randomly, often in the middle of a word (whether handwritten or typed), doesn't appear to see the spaces or lines on a paper, and it is VERY difficult to read his writing. He's been to occupational therapists, behavioral opticians, even a hand surgeon all to no avail. He is taking the SAT tomorrow and can write a very good 5 paragraph essay in 20 minutes (complete w/lit & history examples, transitions, & constant thesis restatements:thumbup: a big accomplishment for him), but today at 17 1/2 we are doing handwriting practice (printing not cursive) so the poor SAT essay grader can decipher his hieroglyphics:001_huh:.

I know your frustration. However, every boy (usually its a boy) who has this weakness is usually incredibly talented with technical/computer stuff. My ds's CISCO professor at CC said the same thing. His students are incredibly gifted with computers, but refused to take notes because they are not good at any aspect of writing.