Menu

She's reading too fast

Mommy22alyns

How do I get her to slow down enough to where she can answer detailed questions about the reading? I'm talking about Sylvia. She reads at a very high level and understands what she's reading, but it all flies right out of her head. She's doing the Sonlight 4-5 readers along with Rebecca this year. I often have to have her re-read the selection so she can answer the questions.

Help!

I think doing some pre-reading prep work might be a method. There are a lot of sheets out there that guide the process of reading for information, content, tone, storyline, plot, characters, review what you already know....

Seems like one of the Harcourt or McMillian sites has some for download...maybe check over at Donna Young as well.

Even studying pre-chosen vocab words will help with content retention and understanding. You could easily spot those prior to reading and work on definition or spelling of the words before reading.

I would do WWE-style narrations with her. Break down the reading into smaller segments and ask her specific questions about the section she read.

I had a similar problem with my dd6 earlier in the year. We started WWE, and that has made a huge difference in her ability to narrate other things. I had attempted narrations before, but I didn't know how to walk her through the process. WWE was just what we needed.

You might ant to give her a list of questions before the reading so she can pay more attention. This will automatically slow her down.

How long has she been reading? For beginning readers, being able to read fast can be quite thrilling. They slow down and comprehension improves when the novelty wears off.

Mikaela and Sylvia seem to have a lot of similarities. Apparently, we did well matching them as pen pals. I agree with the pp who suggested starting wwe. If Mikaela can't answer questions I have her read the selection again but it's happening less frequently as we move further along in wwe. In general she understands what she's reading but tends to filter out what she considers to be unimportant details. if these details are in the narration questions I just have her read it again. Also, I don't know if this is an option for you since your older child is doing wwe2 but I skipped level 2 because she really wanted to read the stories herself instead of having me read to her. Level 3 seemed to be designed to use that way so we went straight from 1 to 3.

Btw, we received Sylvia's second letter when we arrived back in town today and Mikaela was delighted. She mailed a postcard from Colorado yesterday but it will probably take a few days because we were in a small town.

I worked on short passages to get Calvin to slow down. Once he got into the detail of the text in short chunks (about a page) then he started to concentrate more on the whole book. This took years to accomplish however: we used the Galore Park English books, which concentrate on short passages from quality books. I also let him know in advance of reading a book that I'd be asking for (general) narration afterwards.

Laura

Reading fast is a good thing, it means that her brain can interpret symbols easily and can put a meaning to it. Its a gift which only few can get, but she needs to learn to concentrate, so i suggest that you promote her to read repetitively until she finely gets to understand the whole meaning in one reading. I know a girl who is around 15 years old and has such fast reading skills that she read The Lord of The Ring in 5 hours and was easily able to recall events and characters in the novel. It was really baffling, but its not just a gift but a lot of practices of reading faster and faster.

You might ant to give her a list of questions before the reading so she can pay more attention. This will automatically slow her down.

How long has she been reading? For beginning readers, being able to read fast can be quite thrilling. They slow down and comprehension improves when the novelty wears off.

So that would be okay? I wondered if that might help or just make things too easy. She's been reading since she was 4.

I should add that before she did the SL reading today, I admonished her to read carefully because I would be asking her questions afterwards, and she was able to answer the questions very well.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

So that would be okay? I wondered if that might help or just make things too easy. She's been reading since she was 4.

I should add that before she did the SL reading today, I admonished her to read carefully because I would be asking her questions afterwards, and she was able to answer the questions very well.

I would think it's an issue of focus more than comprehension. It sounds like she doesn't have any problem with understanding. I don't have as much of an issue with comprehension with dd but we struggle with math because she doesn't like it as much. When she gets the occasional problem wrong it's almost never because she doesn't understand. It's usually because she's daydreaming about tinkerbell or the muppets in the middle of her math problems.