Menu

Singers/Voice professionals - Need some instruction

I would like to join my city's chorus that accompanies that orchestra. Their auditions include: range, basic sight reading, and a song of our choice (with accompanist present).

I was wondering if I could be pointed in the direction of some videos or webpages with good quality singing advice, particularly in regards to range and voice control. I was in choir in 6th-8th grade, and was going to join my high school's choir for 11th and 12th grade, but was instead pulled out to homeschool.

I have a good singing voice (I've been chosen for solo's in middle school and at church) but I have trouble with control and range.

I won't be auditioning until August, and luckily will be taking an Intro. to Piano course in Spring that will also focus on range, scales, notes, etc. so with that knowledge in hand, I hope I can work on sight reading by myself. My friend is in the high school choir (auditions required) so she can also help me with range, control, and sight reading.

Any help is appreciated :001_smile:

I just did a quick search and this site looks pretty good http://www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html

a lot of the exercises they recommend are what I used to do in private lessons/exam prep/university/choir. Especially read the parts about abdominal breathing and posture.

I don't know if getting a teacher is an option? A good teacher can really make such a difference - I switched from a good teacher to a great teacher and she got me singing a whole extra octave in our first lesson!

Good luck, that sounds like a wonderful experience! Singing with choirs and orchestras is lots of fun!

The only way that I know of to work on range and voice control is by vocal exercises. You know the ones where you sing La-la-la-la-la-la up and down the scale?

Yeah, these are what my friend is helping me with. This video looks good though, haven't seen it before.

I just did a quick search and this site looks pretty good http://www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html

a lot of the exercises they recommend are what I used to do in private lessons/exam prep/university/choir. Especially read the parts about abdominal breathing and posture.

I don't know if getting a teacher is an option? A good teacher can really make such a difference - I switched from a good teacher to a great teacher and she got me singing a whole extra octave in our first lesson!

Good luck, that sounds like a wonderful experience! Singing with choirs and orchestras is lots of fun!

Unfortunately a teacher isn't an option.

Thanks for the good luck and site! :)

I know you said a teacher isn't an option, but I would really try to work with one at least a few times, if at all possible. Practice is all well and good, but you need someone who knows what they're doing to give you feedback on all those little things you need to do when you're singing. I had voice lessons through high school and college, and it's so hard to make the needed adjustments without having someone else correct you, especially if you've never really had any formal training.

You really need to work with a voice coach or instructor. You can do a lot of damage to your vocal cords if you are singing incorrectly. Even if you have a good friend who has had extensive training, they might be able to watch your breathing. BUT you really need to work with someone who knows vocal anatomy and how to correct placement issues.

Go to church every week. Sing along. (Lutheran churches have a lot of singing. I am sure that others do as well.)

Ask a local voice coach to give you one lesson. Tape it. If he is any good, he will start by warming up your voice. Use the tape to warm up your voice every day or two, and then sing a couple of songs that you know. Singing often is the way to start to sing.

By next summer, you will be familiar with a bunch of hymns or songs. Pick your favorite that is easy for you to sing. Go back to the voice coach and ask him to help you learn it really, really well. Take a couple more lessons to do that. Voila, you will be ready.

"range" really just means that they will listen to your range and decide where you go (1st or 2nd soprano, 1st or 2nd alto). Sight reading is probably the most important thing to work on a bit, as it will mean that they don't need to worry about you wasting too much time learning music. The best way to think about this is with the solfege (do re mi)- how pitches relate to each other. Do is going to be the key a piece is in.

Is this a paid position? You should not stress out too much, it will be fun and lots of things will be out of your control. If you are of a voice they are overflowing with, you have little shot of getting in no matter what. If you are a voice type or style they are short on, you are a million times more likely to get in even with a horrible audition.

Don't oversing when you are vocalizing. Always start slow. If you have a friend who is somewhat musical who can listen to you when you vocalize and give you honest critique.... that might help. But really, you should save up for at least a couple of professional lessons. Be up front though. Tell the person you want to go with you only need a refresher and why. You might be able to squeeze in here and there. I second the suggestion about singing in church, but I will say, go even farther and join the church choir for a season.

HTH! Good luck! You'll be awesome~

BTW- a voice teacher can screw up your voice too. They aren't magicians, and make mistakes like everyone else. Even the best voice teachers and best singers have caused damage here or there. So don't think that if you don't go to a teacher you will ruin your chords, just be aware that they do know more than you in most cases... but they don't know how things feel to you or how they work in your own throat. Just sayin'.

Edited by radiobrain

I'm in a different situation -- I grew up with the belief that I was inherently a bad singer who came from a long line of tone deaf people. I decided a few months ago to actually try to improve my singing voice and have been taking weekly voice lessons. I think they have been so helpful to me. Not only have I found that I don't have a horrible voice, but I've learned the vocabulary of singing and learned different exercises to improve my breathing and range. Anyway, I'd really recommend taking a lesson or two for confidence and suggestions about what to expect at the audition.

:iagree: with what has been said, especially saving up for a few lessons. I can tell you advice over the internet, but it is nothing like actually hearing you and helping with what you actually need.

For control (and even range b/c range is often determined by control...) you need some basic aerobic exercise. Build up your lungs. Then on to controlling them. One exercise I like for this is singing on ho/ha/he/hoo, keeping placement steady and just focusing on using my tummy muscle to sound a healthy tone. Focus on feeling at complete ease EVERYWHERE in your body, only working at moving air. Use hard consonants wisely. Don't waste too much air on them.

Practice that spot where you have an awkward switch between head & chest voices. Sing familiar songs in different keys, focusing on smoothing out the timbre across your range. Smooth. You want to sound like the same person across the scale.

Practice sight singing daily. Grab some new-to-you music and tease it out, go to the keyboard and check yourself, try again.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been looking at different places that offer voice lessons, but they all require a commitment of some sort with the money for that month's lessons up front. We can't do that, and my mom probably won't be willing to help me save. I don't have any regular cash flow and have been searching for jobs but it's been a no-go.

There is one place that I just shot off an email to that doesn't require regular lessons and you can pre-pay per lesson, but I don't know their price.

I know it would be the best route, and maybe the only, but it might not be an option at all. Maybe I'll just have to wait a few years until I get a job and can pay for the lessons.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been looking at different places that offer voice lessons, but they all require a commitment of some sort with the money for that month's lessons up front. We can't do that, and my mom probably won't be willing to help me save. I don't have any regular cash flow and have been searching for jobs but it's been a no-go.

I know it would be the best route, and maybe the only, but it might not be an option at all. Maybe I'll just have to wait a few years until I get a job and can pay for the lessons.

I don't see why they might not give you a few if you ask. You won't know until you try. If *you* are flexible, you might be able to ask to be "on call" for when a regular appt. cancels. Besides, I would NEVER commit until I had at least 1 lesson... what if they are super sucky? Or you don't gel? Maybe you can find a kid in college who needs some practice like this, it will be how many of them make their $$ in the future. ;)

BTW, 3blessing mom, that is a good bunch of suggestions!!

Korin (who needs desperately to get a few high notes back, and can't afford the lessons either! I'll be auditioning for a professional group in January. I HATE auditioning! I feel for you! )

I don't see why they might not give you a few if you ask. You won't know until you try. If *you* are flexible, you might be able to ask to be "on call" for when a regular appt. cancels. Besides, I would NEVER commit until I had at least 1 lesson... what if they are super sucky? Or you don't gel? Maybe you can find a kid in college who needs some practice like this, it will be how many of them make their $$ in the future. ;)

BTW, 3blessing mom, that is a good bunch of suggestions!!

Korin (who needs desperately to get a few high notes back, and can't afford the lessons either! I'll be auditioning for a professional group in January. I HATE auditioning! I feel for you! )

I totally agree with the bolded. Ask around, people know people - especially in the music business. Heck, I'd probably even ring the choir people and talk it over with them. Call up your local music examination organization or college faculty and just flat out ask if they can recommend any pathways or tutors for you.

Ask around at church (if you go), speak to the choir leaders (if you have one), or ring other churches or choir/singing groups. Someone will know someone, and usually they are happy to help out a newbie.

Also agree with 3blessingmom and would add that being physically fit helps with abdominal control - work those abs! :tongue_smilie:

I've been searching craigslist for a college student but haven't had any luck. Maybe I'll call a few music departments tomorrow at the different schools.

What exactly is it that will damage my vocal chords? Would practicing a song I like for the audition do it? I don't want to damage them, but how can I practice range and control without damaging them? I know the extremes that can damage vocal chords (belting sounds, stretching in the vocal chords [the burning feeling when hitting a note one isn't warmed up for] etc.) but is it really that common if someone practices this stuff by themselves?

I'm really looking around for lessons/tutors, but I don't know. Still waiting to hear back from the music school that has a pre-pay option, so I can see their price. Hopefully it is reasonable, and maybe that will work.

Damage doesn't usually happen with belting out one big shout. It happens over time as a result of developing bad habits. You aren't going to hurt yourself practicing for this audition...atleast, I seriously doubt it from chatting with you here. You are going to run into trouble trying to teach yourself long-term with no one to tell you that they hear/see something that you aren't catching. Believe me. It's easy to miss in your own self.

Trying to sing too high in your full chest voice is BAD, but popular. Instead, start with your high light head voice and take that down. (I'm talking about smoothing out your timbre over your entire range.) It's hard to explain in words what I mean...

For a newbie, stay away from pop and broadway. Seeing that you are 18yo (just noticed), develop a fluid and accurate childlike (head) voice well. The depth will come later. Those sight-reading exercises...do those in a light head voice. Accuracy and intonation are king.

Do call around to college music depts. and churches. My 1st real voice lessons were by my music minister at church - for special musics there. They were bonafide lessons though, real music, real technique. I did cheap voice lessons for teenagers in college & right after graduation. Shoot, if you lived closer I'd find some time for you b/c I simply miss the work. Ask around. And ask around some more. There has to be more SAHMing Music Ed majors out there.:001_smile: