Menu

Andis, Oster, Wahl, anyone know clippers?

I've had a humble pair of Walmart Wahl clippers for years that has done adequately, but I'd like to take a step up. I'm finding all of these brands have professional or upper end models. Any opinions between them? Thanks in advance! :)

PS. Do you like the Wahl Peanut? Something different?

We have a Samoyed and a Husky. In Florida. We've been through some clippers lol. I've had Andis and Oster, their top of the line stuff. The Andis did ok for a bit, but didn't last. The Oster, despite being told this model was just under the sheep shearers, could not get through my huskys fur. :glare:

The BEST clippers we've owned have been The Laube IVAC clippers. They are amazing. They get through the thickest fur like a hot knife through butter. And the best part is they hook up to the shop vac so there is NO mess! We've been using them for two years now and they still work beautifully. I can shave down one of my dogs in about 10 minutes, which is amazing.

Every 4-5 years I see what sets Target and Walmart carry, about this time of year, and get the best one for $25-$35. I cut two heads about once every six weeks or so. Human heads. The Peanut has lasted ten years and is still going strong, so buying better devices at Sally's is excellent advice, I feel sure. When the bigger clippers wear out, I've had to use the Peanut on a whole head, a time or two. The heads I'm cutting have hair like bear pelt.

I have this Oster clipper http://www.amazon.com/Oster-2-Speed-Professional-Animal-Clipper/dp/B000LRN31A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322622273&sr=8-7

I use it for our dogs and for my son's hair.

I bought it because it was supposed to have air blowing to cool the blades, etc., but my clippers get so hot that I can only cut my son's hair and then wait for it to cool down before I do portions on each dog. I HATE that. I would rather go zi-zip-zip and clip all 3 of them in a row. :D

Hehe, never even occurred to me y'all would think dogs! I mean people. :)

So no hairdressers out there to have opinions on Andis vs. Oster vs. the Wahl Senior? I'm looking at Sally's beauty supply listings and comparing the reviews on amazon, but it's still a lot to sort out.

Thanks for doing the shopping! Please post your decision. I'm not up to researching this one right now. Streaming digital devices, and carpet shampooers are on my list right now. I've been lazy about these in the past and settled for the Walmart/Target selection. Sally's has great coupons, I've found, since my daughter loves to get stuff there, and the e-mail coupons come to my e-mail. Maybe a really nice one will go on sale there for Christmas?

Have you talked to someone in a Sally's? Or a hairdresser? I love reading all the reviews at Amazon....good reference.

Good luck

I think the Oster 76 is the one to beat. It's $124 on amazon, and it goes on sale at Sally's $60 off $190 for December. Next step down, also reviews well, is the Oster Fast Feed at $65. I think the other ones are probably fine (though the reviews say they get really hot).

Also look at the videos on this site http://www.howtocuthair.com/ He's trying to sell his dvds, but the free youtube clips were interesting. Spent some time watching youtube videos on how to do a fade. Now I'm catching on that they sell interchangeable blades to get that short stuff tighter. If you get the Oster 76, you need to buy the plastic guards here http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Universal-Specially-Designed/dp/B001T0HHB0/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_b if you like using those. So that makes it a bit more expensive than you initially think. But whatever, it looks like I've found the machine I was thinking of.

Probably either one of those would work for my purposes. Next I'll go look for some youtube videos of the Oster Fast Feed to see how it looks and sounds when it cuts. That 76 is really, really nice.

This looks about like the one that DH has for his hair and the two older boys' hair: http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-1001-26-Piece-Color-Coded-Haircutting/dp/B00006IVEN/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1322676901&sr=8-13

I think he's on his third set; they last about 6 or 7 years for him, I think. He has thick hair and trims it frequently. I want to say he paid about $15 for the first set (actually, I think I got it for him back when we were in college), and I'm thinking he paid about $25-30 for this set. So really only about $5 a year, and if he does about three haircuts a month, each cut is costing about 15 or 20 cents a cut -- not bad!