Menu

Secret Santa type organizations for children to participate in?

This year, I would like my children to give gifts away to less fortunate children, but I am not sure where to start. In NYC, our homeschool group had a Secret Santa program that we participated in, but I'm not sure how to go about finding one in our new community. Is there a national organization that would help me?

Thanks!

How about Toys for Tots or Angel Tree?

I was going to suggest the same. Or check around the local churches or with friends in the community. I can speak from personal experience that there are families that fall through the cracks. There is quite possibly a friend of a friend that could use the help. We missed the cutoff for Salvation Army's help & apparently, around here everyone partners with them (even Toys for Tots), so had it not been for the kindness and generosity of friends, we would've fallen through the cracks this year.

You might also try searching for a women's shelter in your area, or an organization that helps families at risk for abuse or foster families. When we forget to do the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes in time, we pack shoeboxes for local children and drop them off at one of the above kinds of community organizations. :)

Cat

We always do either the Salvation Army Angel Tree or the one at our local Publix store (or both).

JC Penny has partnered with the Salvation Army for the last few years, and you can "adopt" an angel in your area online: www.jcp.com/angel

We like these programs, rather than something like Toys for Tots, because we enjoy the idea of shopping for a specific child. (Yes, I know that the organization sometimes redistributes gifts in order to cover everyone, and we're fine with that.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I agree with the suggestion of the Angel Tree. The great thing about it for us has been that (sadly) they can always give us a matching family. I like having each of my kids shop for someone who is the same age/sex, as I think it allows a special kind of connection with the process and inspires gratitude for what they have.

Our kids are giving money to buy a water well in an orphanage in Cambodia this Christmas. We also give to our local foster care program (socks & underwear). I spearheaded our Angel Tree ministry every Christmas at our church for years. Salvation Army is a wonderful organization who will get your gifts into the hands of kids by Christmas eve. We have also given to our local rescue mission.

OR....you can simply do your own thing. We make food for homeless people and just hand it to them on the street. My girls love doing that. Pics here.

We always do either the Salvation Army Angel Tree or the one at our local Publix store (or both).

JC Penny has partnered with the Salvation Army for the last few years, and you can "adopt" an angel in your area online: www.jcp.com/angel

We like these programs, rather than something like Toys for Tots, because we enjoy the idea of shopping for a specific child. (Yes, I know that the organization sometimes redistributes gifts in order to cover everyone, and we're fine with that.)

Oh, i love the idea of the kids getting gifts for someone specific.

Right now, the boys have decided to have a garage sale of all their toys, and use the proceeds to buy gifts for kids in need. So I just have to find those in need, and I'm sure here in Florida there are many...

ETA: The JCPenney link shows lots of kids in need. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

Edited by Halcyon

Our kids are giving money to buy a water well in an orphanage in Cambodia this Christmas. We also give to our local foster care program (socks & underwear). I spearheaded our Angel Tree ministry every Christmas at our church for years. Salvation Army is a wonderful organization who will get your gifts into the hands of kids by Christmas eve. We have also given to our local rescue mission.

OR....you can simply do your own thing. We make food for homeless people and just hand it to them on the street. My girls love doing that. Pics here.

Those pics are wonderful. They brought tears to my eyes.