Menu

Swim Team Moms...I Need LOTS of advice!

Dd is a freshman at our small, local high school. She's decided that she wants to go out for the swim team. Actually, there are no try-outs, and there doesn't seem to be much pressure. She has never been a competitive swimmer, just for fun and recreation in the summer. A lot of her friends are swimming, and are in a similar situation-- no competitive swim experience. Molly is just looking forward to the great workout and having fun with friends. She's never been an especially competitive person, (with one HUGE exception being in the dog show ring! :D)

So what do I need to know? Dh and I played three varsity sports per year (at the same high school) but neither of us were on the swim team. And anyway, that was 25 years ago!

We went to Dick's and got a practice suit, goggles with two straps (??? can't remember the name but it seemed like we needed them!) and a silicone swim cap. I've got a ton of questions and I hope someone can give me some advice!

1. SWIM CAP: Her hair is long-ish, angled/layered a bit at the front. Typical teen girl hair. It's thick. She's having a hard time getting it into the swim cap tonight. It'll be easier when it's wet, right? Should she put it in a ponytail first or something?

2. HAIR: I"m assuming that the chlorine at the local YMCA pool will be harsh and damaging. Her hair is brown, so I'm thinking it won't turn green or anything, right? I swear I've seen some kinds of "swim shampoo" around in stores, but of course yesterday when I went to CVS I couldn't find any. This stuff exists, right? Should she use it? Or is something else better? And where do I buy it?

3. SKILLS: The girl can swim, but not like a competitive swimmer. And diving, um, not so much. She's very strong, long and lean, however, so I'm sure that she'll pick it up, and be taught-- correct? Again, it's a small-town, low-pressure team, with several other freshmen who are in the same boat. I'm just worrying-- I know that.

4. EXHAUSTION: I'm fully expecting her to be exhausted. But what can I pack for her to eat after school that's a good, quick snack? I was thinking nuts but she's not a big fan of nuts. What else that doesn't need to be refrigerated?

That's all I can think of for now-- but I"m sure there will be more questions to come!

I really hope I get some replies-- I have NO idea what we're getting into here! :bigear:

astrid

Dd is a freshman at our small, local high school. She's decided that she wants to go out for the swim team. Actually, there are no try-outs, and there doesn't seem to be much pressure. She has never been a competitive swimmer, just for fun and recreation in the summer. A lot of her friends are swimming, and are in a similar situation-- no competitive swim experience. Molly is just looking forward to the great workout and having fun with friends. She's never been an especially competitive person, (with one HUGE exception being in the dog show ring! :D)

So what do I need to know? Dh and I played three varsity sports per year (at the same high school) but neither of us were on the swim team. And anyway, that was 25 years ago!

We went to Dick's and got a practice suit, goggles with two straps (??? can't remember the name but it seemed like we needed them!) and a silicone swim cap. I've got a ton of questions and I hope someone can give me some advice!

1. SWIM CAP: Her hair is long-ish, angled/layered a bit at the front. Typical teen girl hair. It's thick. She's having a hard time getting it into the swim cap tonight. It'll be easier when it's wet, right? Should she put it in a ponytail first or something? It will get easier as she gets used to doing it. My girls don't pony up first. If possible, putting on a cap is done with a friend to pull it over the head is the norm.

2. HAIR: I"m assuming that the chlorine at the local YMCA pool will be harsh and damaging. Her hair is brown, so I'm thinking it won't turn green or anything, right? I swear I've seen some kinds of "swim shampoo" around in stores, but of course yesterday when I went to CVS I couldn't find any. This stuff exists, right? Should she use it? Or is something else better? And where do I buy it? The swim shampoo is too expensive to use on a regular basis. Mine just use regular shampoo. Invest in conditioner.

3. SKILLS: The girl can swim, but not like a competitive swimmer. And diving, um, not so much. She's very strong, long and lean, however, so I'm sure that she'll pick it up, and be taught-- correct? Again, it's a small-town, low-pressure team, with several other freshmen who are in the same boat. I'm just worrying-- I know that. She'll pick it up. Depending on the team, she may and not be taught in high school swimming. The high school coaches we have know very little about swimming. They are just teachers who take responsibility for the team. A city over the swim coaches know their sport. Mostly, you are wanting her to have fun. In places I am familiar with the competitive swimmers are the ones who swim USA (year round). Very few high school and summer only swimmers can be competitive with them.

4. EXHAUSTION: I'm fully expecting her to be exhausted. But what can I pack for her to eat after school that's a good, quick snack? I was thinking nuts but she's not a big fan of nuts. What else that doesn't need to be refrigerated?

That's all I can think of for now-- but I"m sure there will be more questions to come!

I really hope I get some replies-- I have NO idea what we're getting into here! :bigear:

astrid

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is usually a good swim food. An energy bar is another good choice.

They make Long hair and Lycra swim caps. We used those.

We did use special shampoo. We went with the Paul Mitchell chlorine care, and it worked fine. Buy leave in conditioner for after, and use a heavy duty conditioner once a week.

I know you didn't ask, but I would buy a polyester swim suit for practices. They last a lot longer in chlorine. We liked the Dolphin Uglies, but there are lots of brands. They fit tighter, but they are supposed to (reduces drag). Look at the reviews AND the sizing charts to get your size correct. The regular suits only lasted two months for us, but the polyester are being passed down to other kids and still look new. And never put the suits in the dryer!

They will teach her everything she needs to know. The hard part at first for most kids is not technique but endurance.

Hope she has a great time. Swim team is fun!

First of all, if she wears a cap that will take alot of damage from the hair. Washing it after she gets out will also keep it in good shape - NEVER swim without a cap!

Secondly, I would highly recommend the Dolfin Uglies - they last the longest. I buy whatever is on sale - just bought the Halloween Uglie for $18 from Sports Authority. Practice suits are just that - practice suits.

Lastly and most importantly, let her have fun. I have three swimmers and have been at two different competitive clubs plus high school and summer swimming. I have learned alot, and my kids have been around some high powered swimmers - my 12 yr old dd thought that it was just normal to know 2 female olympic silver medalists in the butterfly until I set her straight!~

High school swimming is many things to many people. For some, it is just participating on a team and having fun and learning a new life-saving skill, in the case of swimming. For some, it will mean free rides to SEC colleges. For some, it will mean self-esteem when they are not the brightest kids in the classroom but breaking records in the pool. For some, it will mean hanging out with new friends and old friends and just bonding. It has meant different things to all my kids - they are all different. Your daughter will find her special place on the team, and hopefully, more experienced swimmers will step up to help her and offer her support. One thing that my kids high school team does is the USA competitive swimmers help the new kids, and they assign the freshmen big brother/sis.

Also, ask the parents of the kids on the team, they will guide you and the coaches should help.

Oh, as for snacks, bananas, bagels with cream cheese, carrots, grapes, other fruit, protein bars, chocolate milk, PB & J, and lots of water.

Good luck,

ReneeR

Swim cap: She will get used to this. Some of the serious swim kids still get help, though--the swimmer bends over and holds the back of the cap onto her head, while a friend kind of pulls it out and over the hair. Even the coaches will help. My daughter doesn't get help, but she does put it in a pony beforehand and puts the cap on dry hair. I cannot imagine getting all of that hair under a silicone camp without a pony.

Teaching: This will vary tremendously from team to team. Some high school coaches are good about this, and some are just there to organize USA swim team members who swim for their high schools on the side. I hope yours is the former.

Eating: We go through a lot of boiled eggs and Pria bars.

Shampoo: My black-haired Chinese daughter practices 8 times a week and does not use a special swim shampoo, but she showers immediately after each practice and conditions religiously. She has gorgeous hair.

She is going to have so much fun!

Terri

My girls do put their hair in a pony tail before putting on their caps. Silicon caps do come in sizes - make sure she didn't get a child's. None of the kids on my team like Lycra caps, which let more chlorine onto the hair and get loose and slip off easily.

Dolphin Uglies do last longer but don't stretch as much.

We don't buy swimmer's shampoo either. Use regular shampoo and good conditioner immediately after every practice (not the next morning.)

I'm a high school swim coach. I have 70 swimmers, of which maybe 10 swim year round. It is a no-cut team and there are no try-outs. The minimum requirement is one length of the pool. We teach the recreational and summer swimmers all the skills we can in the 3 month season. They have a blast (obviously, since they come back year after year.)

She shouldn't worry about being competitive with the year round swimmers. Everyone swims at every meet. Yes, the year-round swimmers usually win, but points are awarded to 6th place, including relays and everyone contributes.

Hopefully, she will be tired after practice. That's the only way to get stronger. She does need a snack after school that closely resembles her lunch. A sandwich or yogurt, a BANANA, and water. Make sure she has a water bottle to take to practice too.

The other thing to watch is sleep. When kids start swimming, they don't realize they will need more sleep, not less. They have to be more disciplined about getting their homework done so they don't need to pull all-nighters!

I was a walk-on to my college varsity swim team, and while I was never much good -- even by the low standards of Division III -- it was a life-changing experience. It is a wonderful sport. Twenty years later, I still swim regularly and plan to join the local Masters team as soon as this last baby stops nursing and doesn't need me first thing in the morning.

Anyway, I have thick hair to the middle of my back and do just fine with a silicone long hair cap, no ponytail first. Those caps are SO much easier to get on and off than the old rubber ones. Over many, many years of trial and error I have also concluded that Ultraswim shampoo does my hair more harm than good, and I'm better off just using regular shampoo (I actually use the no-poo kind) and heavily conditioning afterwards.

Hope your daughter has a great time! One of my goals for the next few months is to get my 6yo to be able to swim across the whole pool freestyle so he can join the swim team. :)

Thank you SO much for all of your advice! We followed it all-- and Molly LOVED LOVED LOVED her first practice! She's exhausted and her muscles are screaming, but she had a GREAT time and just adores the workout. The coach was impressed with her lung capacity--- she told him it was because she plays the oboe! :001_smile:

Thanks again-- I"m sure I'll have more questions as the season progresses!

astrid

Thank you SO much for all of your advice! We followed it all-- and Molly LOVED LOVED LOVED her first practice! She's exhausted and her muscles are screaming, but she had a GREAT time and just adores the workout. The coach was impressed with her lung capacity--- she told him it was because she plays the oboe! :001_smile:

Thanks again-- I"m sure I'll have more questions as the season progresses!

astrid

:party:

--Don't wash the suit with detergent, just rinse and hang to dry. Never put it in the dryer. Don't twist it hard either. Treat it gently.

--Keep your team suit for meets only, so it lasts. It can become next year's practice suit if you're lucky.

--Rinse the suit as soon as you get home, if not at the pool.

--You may find yourself throwing a load of laundry in each night after practice because you'll have the towel to deal with also. This is kind of a pain but it's a good way to keep up with your wash.

--I would have at least two practice suits if she is swimming two days in a row.

--Find an experienced team parent to give you the inside scoop. I found that meets were always in bizarre places, and it wasn't always easy to find, for example, exactly which building on a private school's campus had the pool in it, or which door you were supposed to go in.

--Take up knitting. You'll be watching meets that are several hours long; your dd may be in the pool for 10 minutes of that, tops.

--Nuts, hummus, muffins (low-sugar, low-fat), peanut butter - the usual stuff.