Menu

Have you seen this one? Thief's "apology" to victim.

pqr

It should never have been mailed. That kid needs to be removed from that program and put to good hard work.

Yes, exactly. :iagree:

My dd18 is an attorney for the Teen Court in our county. One of the things the 'sentenced' kids have to do is an open court apology. It is up to the person to whom they are apologizing, usually their parents, to accept the apology or demand more. When my dd is working defense she sits next to the defendants and makes them right it out. She has told me that she has rejected plenty of apologies and told the kids "your mom/dad deserve more". I will have to show her this one. :glare:

She has logged more than 650 community service hours with the program and has developed a good judge of character. She came home the other night and said that she had met a kid who said they didn't do and she believed they hadn't. She asked me if I knew how rare that was. :lol: She was furious that his friends had 'thrown him under the bus'.

His advice on avoiding burglary in the future was fairly reasonable.

1. Draw your blinds. Does that really prevent crime?

2. Don't live in a high crime area. I suspect most people don't exactly *choose* to live in a high crime area.

3. Don't leave your ground floor window open. OK. I suspect that was a slip up.

His advice on avoiding burglary in the future was fairly reasonable.

It probably isn't really that useful to insist on apologies when people actually are not sorry.

:iagree: I have always wondered why people feel such a sense of satisfaction when wrongdoers apologize. Often the only thing they are sorry about it is that they were careless enough to get caught.

:iagree: I have always wondered why people feel such a sense of satisfaction when wrongdoers apologize. Often the only thing they are sorry about it is that they were careless enough to get caught.

I suspect that it stems from a need to believe that criminals are really good people, just like you and me, who will be brought to see the error of their ways. It is the rehabilitation vs punishment debate (though I might argue that punishment can and does have rehabilitative effects)

I get satisfaction when they go away for a very very long time.