Menu

What do you think of this idea for helping DD meet friends?

We're a member of a local homeschool group that has girls her age but the group doesn't meet frequently. They have a monthly newsletter, an email list, field trips that not everyone goes on, and two or three annual events. My daughter is expressing difficulty about being virtually friendless (her two most recent best friends both moved far away).

I was thinking of posting an invitation to the email list for middle school girls and their moms to come to a cookie decorating party at my house on Saturday (so the dads can be home with siblings) December 17th. I'd ask them to bring appetizers and snacks to share, and I'll provide the cookies, icing, and tools for decorating.

I know it is the week before Christmas but I can't be ready next weekend, and DS has a taekwondo event on the 10th.

Do you think that would go over well?

I think the cookie party is a lovely idea. Having it so close to Christmas might, as you said, reduce the number of people who can attend. What if you had a similar party but in, say, early February (once everybody has finished all the Christmas cookies)? Valentine cookies? Or just I Can't Stand One More Day of Rain cookies?

I think that is a lovely idea -- agreeing that after Christmas might be better than just before.

One thing I've done is get one other parent on board and then email people about some local event -- museum show, organized hike, historical house (making sure that the event is free or very inexpensive). That works for me because the day works out fine whether there is one other girl or a whole bunch of them, and planning is minimal.

Good idea! Even if only a few girls can come, that would be a good start and still an opportunity to make friends. You could do it in December, then again in a few months, themed around whatever holiday is coming up. Other ideas for making friends is a book club, meeting monthly. My dd expanded and deepened her friendships this way, but it is a more formal undertaking because it should be at least monthly.