Classic Christmas Read Aloud

whitestavern

These are all classic short stories set at Christmas by well-known authors:

A Child's Christmas in Wales (Dylan) -- memoir

Christmas Every Day (Howells) -- funny

Gift of the Magi (Henry) -- funny and poignant

The Fir Tree (Anderson) -- sad

The Story of the Other Wise Man (Van Dyke) -- inspiring, poignant

Theses are wonderful Christmas books for all ages, but especially good for your 9yo and 11yo:

Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- fun and charming

Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree (Houston)

When It Snowed That Night (Farber) -- lovely collection of Christmas poems

The Hundred Dresses (Estes) -- a powerful story set in December

There is a lovely chapter in "Mountain Born" (Yates) in which the boy stays up to see the animals speak at midnight on Christmas Eve.

There is a sweet chapter in "The Moffats" (Estes) in which the children write letters to Santa.

And, of course, the original Christmas story in the Bible: Matthew chapters 1-2, and Luke chapter 2

Edited by Lori D.
added some titles

I know these are not "classic Christmas stories" per se, but the last couple of years my kids have really enjoyed these advent stories about children during the time of Jesus' birth...in time they come to encounter the holy family through a series of adventures. There is a scripture and devotional with each day's reading, and then the next installment of the story. My kids are always on the edge of their seats and begging for the next day's story, but you "can't" read ahead ;-) . We have done these for two years, and I think I will get the third one for this year, too.

I know these are not "classic Christmas stories" per se, but the last couple of years my kids have really enjoyed these advent stories about children during the time of Jesus' birth...in time they come to encounter the holy family through a series of adventures. There is a scripture and devotional with each day's reading, and then the next installment of the story. My kids are always on the edge of their seats and begging for the next day's story, but you "can't" read ahead ;-) . We have done these for two years, and I think I will get the third one for this year, too.

These look good- of the two you've read, which one did your kids enjoy more?

The 101 Dalmations. :D

See, in the book, the pups come home on Christmas day; the night before, the pups spend the night in a church, and one of them is transfixed by a Nativity, which she watches all night.

Ok, maybe not classic *Christmas,* but consider it to be *classic.*

FTR, we cannot bear to watch the Disney animated debacle which unfortunately has the same title. :glare: