Menu

Is it possible for a single mom to homeschool?

I am in my 1st year of homeschooling and I LOVE it. I love watching my children learn, and I love being with them. I see homeschooling being something that i want to do for a while(hopefully until they graduate high school) but I am seriously contemplating leaving the relationship I am in. (we are not married but have been together for 6 years) It is not a healthy relationship for me or my children(2 of the 4 are his) and I am ready to get out of here. One of the things keeping me here is that i can homeschool them and be with them and I really don't want to put them in public school.

Is it possible for a single parent to homeschool?

I am on my 3rd year now. :) It's not always easy, but it's been my lifelong dream and I won't give it up without a good fight!

What works for me is that I have child support, babysit full time (and teach him preschool), and work part time online (up to 10 hrs/wk for a local company). I can't say that it will always work, but I'll keep going until it doesn't. Feel free to PM me :)

I know quite a few people who are single parent homeschoolers. It's certainly possible, especially if you have a job with some flexibility.

One thing to keep in mind- and I'm certainly not telling you to stay by any means, but it is good to be prepared- is that some parents who divorced/split up while homeschooling ended up having the homeschooling itself used against them. If your soon-to-be-ex isn't in favor of it and you end up in court fighting over custody, the judge may order that you enroll your kids in a school. Most judges don't seem to be huge supporters of homeschooling.

Just something to be aware of.

She is my inspiration! Some important factors for her are: nearby very supportive family. Her Dad and sister (who is childless and especially close to her kids) help a great deal-not with schooling, but with activities and occasional child care. She gets zero financially from her ex (no blood from a stone etc) but I think her ILs have also been very supportive, not financially, but emotionally and occasionally sending money.

She has worked nights from home doing computer tech support, and then put herself through nursing school. It is not easy, but has worked very well for her family.

I think the most important considerations are financial and emotional support. Making sure both of those are covered is the key to making it on your own.

I will also say that making sure your kids are well-versed in co-operation and following through without undue hand-holding is important, and the seeds of that are planted in early childhood. Best wishes!

Edited by Catherine
spelling error

Well, sure, it is possible, and success depends on lots of variables.

Just as in a 2 parent family, it often comes down to $$.

If you will be getting sufficient alimony and/or child support to support you w/o working, you are golden. If you are independently wealthy, you are also golden. If you have a career path that allows you to find a lucrative enough job so that you could work a PT schedule that would allow you to find reliable child care for your shifts and also provide you with sufficient income, then you are golden. If none of these conditions apply, then it will require more creativity and struggle, but I'd imagine that'd be the case whether or not you homeschooled.

Good luck making these difficult choices. Ensuring a healthy, loving environment for you and your family is vital. Homeschooling is great, but after schooling, before schooling, or enrichment is also possible. Some districts allow part-day enrollment, so that is another option if feasible in your situation.

• 2 months later...

I think its possible. I haven't started yet but will be in September. I am a FT ER nurse. Not really any money from Ex. Before I cemented the decision to HS I requested "permission" from ex. I have used my vacation time to take half days off so to increase the number of days that I will HS. I have three HSing families from my church who provide babysitting for free (since that cost made it impossible to work less) and who will "do school" with my daughter when I can't. That enables me to teach four days most weeks with some five days weeks and some three day weeks. I will have to teach on some Saturdays and some (few) Sundays but I will make it work. I think it will be a struggle but as a single mom its something we are not unaccustomed too right? My daugther is worth it; to know that I am the primary influence in her life and that I can decide what she will be taught and exposed to (in asmuch as its possible). Thats my take on it thus far anyway.

I'm single and have been homeschooling for 3 years. I work M-F 9-4. I receive no child support, welfare, etc. And I don't make a lot. It's not easy but it's possible.

I will say that I pulled my kids out in 4th & 6th grade. They were old enough to help out around the house, feed themselves, etc. My grandmother lives on the same property and keeps an eye on them while I'm at work. I don't know that I would have been able to do this when they were younger and required more care. But if you don't have to work FT, it might be easier.

Good luck to you and your kiddos.

ETA: Just realized this is a few months old. Oops.

Edited by mrbmom77

Older thread, but I am doing this. This is our 6th year homeschooling, I have been a single parent for almost 11 yrs. It is dang hard. We are dirt poor. But I make enough from various sources to avoid welfare and stay home with my kids to hs them. It can be successful but I have learned the hard way that unless I was completely organized and stayed on top of my to do list daily, and such that it is too easy to have life get in the way of schooling and for schooling to get in the way of life kwim. I don't really have supports and wish I did. WHen I lived in the city it was easier because I had a supportive group of hsing families to talk to etc. Out here not so much. But with enough determination you can run a successful homeschool while raising your family as a single parent.

• 1 month later...

I realize this is an old post but it looks like I will be joining your ranks in September. Initially I wont be working, but that will change during the school year after I finish updating all my stuff for my RN (have been out of field for 9 yrs). I am so happy to see other single moms out there who have been successfully homeschooling, it gives me tremendous hope. I look forward to gleaning wisdom from all of you.

Blessings,