Menu

Breakfast Casserole - How do you make it?

SJ.

This entire weekend our family will be at the ILs, with the addition of two other families. I am responsible for two breakfasts and am hoping to make a breakfast casserole.

In the past I have tried to make the same one my mom made which always took forever to firm up. She would layer a glass pan with refrigerator biscuits touching each other, then she would cover them with raw eggs that are stirred/whipped/scrambled?. Next she would add pre cooked sausage, and sauteed onions w/ peppers. Last she would cover it with cheese and bake it. Each time I have tried to do this the eggs soak into the biscuits and they take FOREVER to set.

I am hoping someone can give me suggestions for the above recipe or recommend something else. I have seen recipes that use potatoes for a base layer and other recipes that use sliced bread.

Thanks!

SJ

The breakfast casserole I do is very similar, but I use crescent rolls and the egg mixture goes on top. The crescent rolls are spread out on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, followed by 1 pound of cooked bulk sausage and two cups of cheese (mozzarella & cheddar). I then add 5 eggs beaten with 3/4 cup of milk w/ salt & pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425. Of course, you could add onions/green peppers with the sausage if you want.

I made a breakfast casserole last week that used Texas Toast as the base. Then you layer with crumbled cooked sausage, shred cheese and a mixture of eggs and cream. Then cover and let it sit overnight in the fridge and cook 350 for 40 min the next day. It is really good!

Use croissants for the bread ingredient! They are fabulous!

I use either 4 large or 6 smaller - one package from the grocery bakery.

I'll never go back to bread.

I make two layers. Bread, meat and veggies (saute first), half the cheese, bread, half the cheese.

8-10 eggs, whisked well. Stir in 1.5 C half and half and seasonings of your choice. Pour over the casserole.

Cover completely with plastic wrap, smooshing down the croissants to make sure they are all in the liquid. Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.

Besides the traditional sausage and cheese, I have three other favorite combos:

1. 1/2 C diced ham, onion and spinach for the veg, 1t. dijon and 1 t. dried basil for the seasonings, mild or sharp cheddar

2. Mush, onion and red pepper with smoked gouda for half the cheese and something mild like mjack or mild cheddar for the other half, 1/2 t. thyme.

3. Mexican! use chorizo as the sausage, onion and peppers, cheddar, 1/2 t. oregano. Great for dinner!

Edited by ScoutTN

This is the best... I'll never try another breakfast casserole! You can google Eggs Fantastic, but the general premise is to whir six eggs and three T of sour cream in a blender for a full minute. Pour them into a greased pan and bake it for around 12 minutes to form a base. Top it with sauteed sausage, mushrooms and onions. Top that with salsa. Top the whole thing with cheese and bake. It freezes well, or can be refrigerated overnight. So yummy!

Bready casseroles have a terrible consistency in my book, and don't reheat well.