Menu

Who jumps ship after SM 5a and/or b?

Beth in SW WA

I did. We moved to So You Really Want to Learn Maths, which is mixed maths from Galore Park. I don't think it's the greatest maths in the world, but it's solid and it suited Calvin's need for explicit instruction.

Hobbes moved from SM to Galore Park when he was younger: maybe aged about seven or eight? I think Galore Park Junior Maths is better than the SY maths.

Laura

Thanks, I always get the tutor spot wrong, but have it bookmarked:) Glad to hear what's working for you :)

We're a work in progress here.

I want to clarify that I don't have a beef w/ SM6 or beyond. We just have those bases covered elsewhere. It doesn't make $en$e to purchase it if I will only use bits & pieces.

Guest workofthemaster

I have children ages 7,8, and 11. My 11 y.o. completed level 5 last year and I just felt level 6 was a lot of review. We spent the summer covering Life of Fred Fractions, Percentages, and Pre-Algebra with Biology. We are currently using Saxon 8/7 and Pre-Algebra with Economics (LOF). She will keep using LOF and I will supplement with other Algebra I resources for her 7th grade year. My 8 y.o. will finish level 5 next summer and has already completed LOF Fractions and will have LOF Percentages completed at the time as well. So he will begin grade 4 ready for pre-algebra. I will most likely run him through the LOF Pre-Algebra Biology but will do a seventh grade math program for review before completing a pre-algebra program. He may go directly into Algebra I.

I haven't decided on an algebra program aside from LOF but my two oldest didn't need the additional review provided in level 6 of SM which is ultimately why we skip it in our home. I do like the Extra Practice workbooks for those who need it. There are also challenging word problem books and intensive practice books that really challenge them. Good luck in your choices.

:tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
For those who stayed with SM6 A/B, what did you do in the absence of the HIGs if you used the Standards edition? I really like them for checking work quickly!

I have the classroom teachers' manual for 6B since I'll be doing a couple of chapters out of it. It is very similar to the old U.S. edition HIG.

Guest workofthemaster

So my second child is now into 5a/b of SM and like the first I just can't see the need for level 6. My oldest went straight into a pre-algebra course in sixth grade using a combo of Life of Fred and Saxon (it was given to us so no money out of pocket). My second child will be completing level 5 in 3rd grade. We will most likely choose a 7th grade math program for 5th grade. He has already completed Life of Fred Fractions and Percentages. I don't know where his busy mind will land. My third child is just in level 2 at second grade and requires a lot of extra practice to get through math. If need be I will use level 6 SM with her. If your gut says this is not necessary then go with it. You know your child. I'd rather fill in a hole somewhere than spend a year begging them to do material they feel is unnecessary and not challenging.

Tara E.

Tennessee

Girl-11, Boy-9, Girl 7

TOG, SM, Rod/Staff Grammar, Living Books Science

• 2 weeks later...

My dd will be finished with 5b (stds ed) soon, and we will be going straight into DM1. The topics in the stds ed of 6a/6b mostly overlap with DM1, so it makes sense to do it that way. However, I am going to be using the texts and the IG's from 6a/6b for the few topics that aren't covered in DM1. Also, we will still use the IPs and the CWPs from level 6.

Funny, I could have written the earlier post. My 10 yo, who also still believes in Santa, is doing SM5 with supplementation from Key to Series. SM seems to have worked for her, but we are part of the CC community and Challenge uses Saxon. I was afraid of the transition from Singapore to Saxon, so I have pondered seriously TT pre-Alegrebra for next year with supplemenatation from SM IP or SM Word Problems. Saxon seems incredibly boring to me so I do not know how I would get my 10 yo to sit still for it. What is AoPS? I too, feel like next year -6th grade is pivotal, due to the fact that it is the last step before she approaches much more in depth math. I am still deciding....