Menu

What do you/your family use an IPad for?

So I'm not really technilogically inclined, but I keep reading all these threads about the IPad and I'm intrigued. However, I'm trying to figure out what I would do with one. So far, I've come up with putting recipes on it and using it in the kitchen while I'm cooking so I don't have 300 pieces of paper of recipes laying in my kitchen to sort through every time I'm looking for one recipe I made 6 months ago. I don't have a laptop so currently I have to print everything off to use it in the kitchen but I have such a hard time finding the recipe to make it a second time.

Otherwise I've heard of people using it for playing games/movies/music. None of which are things I do.

So what kind of things do you /your family use it for? I'm trying to see if it has any other practical use for me because $500-$700 is an awfully expensive recipe keeper but I really have no idea what it can do.

E-mail, reading (I've done much more reading since getting the iPad), surfing the net, Facebook, creating documents, creating newsletters/fliers (for my job), editing photos, FaceTime (video chatting), etc.

The iPad is very relaxing for me. I would never buy water colors or other paints, but with the iPad, I can just sit and paint, doodle or experiment. I've tried some animation with other apps and experimented with color with others. I've created pottery with Pottery HD (granted, it's a game, but a wonderful experience from shaping the pot to firing to painting). LetterMpress has let me experience an old fashioned printing press. This was pretty cool for me because both my father and grandfather worked in the printing industry and I have pics of both setting type on the older machines.

The British Library has a great app called the 19th Century Collection. I've enjoyed checking out some of the books there. I've brushed up on my Algebra with Algebra Touch, looked at great recipes on Epicurious, AllRecipes and Big Oven. Entered my own recipes into Paprika.

I could go on and on and on. I didn't even begin to cover the games. I love my iPad and my husband loves my old iPad (he's not allowed to bring one to work, so the 1st generation works great for him). My ONLY complaint is that I am truly an appoholic and need a 12-step program.

:-)

Val

So I'm not really technilogically inclined, but I keep reading all these threads about the IPad and I'm intrigued. However, I'm trying to figure out what I would do with one. So far, I've come up with putting recipes on it and using it in the kitchen while I'm cooking so I don't have 300 pieces of paper of recipes laying in my kitchen to sort through every time I'm looking for one recipe I made 6 months ago. I don't have a laptop so currently I have to print everything off to use it in the kitchen but I have such a hard time finding the recipe to make it a second time.

Otherwise I've heard of people using it for playing games/movies/music. None of which are things I do.

So what kind of things do you /your family use it for? I'm trying to see if it has any other practical use for me because $500-$700 is an awfully expensive recipe keeper but I really have no idea what it can do.

Answering this question!

Put your 'favorite' recipes or sites in 'folders' on your computer so you can easily get to them.

You don't seem to have a need for an iPad, given your useage. It really is about portability: reading books, playing games, listening to music, watching movies, news, having a fast connection etc etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

You don't seem to have a need for an iPad, given your useage. It really is about portability: reading books, playing games, listening to music, watching movies, news, having a fast connection etc etc.
:iagree:

I recommend that you consider the Kindle Fire. It is lighter and much cheaper than the iPads. All indications are that it will have the best mobile browser in the business, as well. Another feature is that they claim the display is harder and therefore more scratch resistant than other tablets.

Our kids love the iPads, but MomsintheGarden does not want one because of the weight. She mainly wants something for reading (web, email and books) as well as shopping.

We will be getting two Kindle Fires in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to review it once they come in.

I recommend that you consider the Kindle Fire. It is lighter and much cheaper than the iPads. All indications are that it will have the best mobile browser in the business, as well. Another feature is that they claim the display is harder and therefore more scratch resistant than other tablets.

Our kids love the iPads, but MomsintheGarden does not want one because of the weight. She mainly wants something for reading (web, email and books) as well as shopping.

We will be getting two Kindle Fires in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to review it once they come in.

Please do so. I have asked my parents for a Kindle Fire for Christmas. They usually just give me $100, some perfume, and the new years calendar. So, if it isn't worth it I don't want to ask for it YKWIM? Can't wait for your review. Sorry for the hijack OP.

If portability is the issue, wanting something for the kitchen counter, this sounds good. In so many ways, I don't think the cost of an iPad is justifiable.

I am seriously bugged that I can't view Flash on my iPad.

I am interested to read your reviews after you get the kindles. I plan to get the refurbished iPad for my daughter for Christmas because it seems like the best option since dh will have iPads for work and we can share apps. I will be checking out the kindle also since it's less expensive but I'm definately leaning towards the iPad. Btw...I'm holding you responsible for the 64gb $399 deal being sold out...I'd been eyeing it online for a week or so before you posted & now it's gone :angry:

Put your 'favorite' recipes or sites in 'folders' on your computer so you can easily get to them.

I can remember what site most of the recipes came from and usually the actual recipe name as well. So it's not a problem of finding the recipe again electronically. I just hate to print it a second, or third time when I know I already have it printed out if only I could find the piece of paper. And of course with lots of printed recipes comes lots of clutter in my kitchen. An electronic device that I could use in the kitchen seems ideal since I can't pick up my desktop and move it to the kitchen when I'm cooking.

But I agree that recipes only doesn't really warrant buying one which is why I wanted to see what else it could be used for (because I really don't even know what it can do compared to my desktop) to see if there was other uses I hadn't thought of yet that might justify the expense.

Thank You, I will look into it this as well as your reviews soon. You always do a good job of reviewing things. Does the kindle have lots of apps to chose from like the iPad or is it more limited since it's newer?

Please do so. I have asked my parents for a Kindle Fire for Christmas. They usually just give me $100, some perfume, and the new years calendar. So, if it isn't worth it I don't want to ask for it YKWIM? Can't wait for your review. Sorry for the hijack OP.

No problem, at all. More information is good in helping me to make a decision.

If portability is the issue, wanting something for the kitchen counter, this sounds good. In so many ways, I don't think the cost of an iPad is justifiable.

I am seriously bugged that I can't view Flash on my iPad.

I saw that somewhere and was kind of bummed. I love Farmville (the one and only game I play) and thought this would be a great way that I could still play when I wasn't home but then I saw about Flash and I know that Farmville uses that so that idea was out the window.

I typed a detailed reply to this thread last night but I lost my Internet connection in the middle of it. I couldn't find the thread when I got back online but I posted the answer in a thread about VoIP and the iPad.

I saw it. Thanks for taking the time for pointing me to it. Do you just have the Wifi or do have the 3G connection as well? If I went this route, I'm wondering if I can get by without the 3G stuff since we already have wireless in our house which is where it would get used most of the time.

I saw it. Thanks for taking the time for pointing me to it. Do you just have the Wifi or do have the 3G connection as well? If I went this route, I'm wondering if I can get by without the 3G stuff since we already have wireless in our house which is where it would get used most of the time.

I bought the wifi because of the cost difference and because I already have a mobile hotspot. I have wifi at home & my office and have only used my hotspot to connect a few times (like now because I'm in the car on my way back home from out of town). I think the wifi version is fine. So many places have free wifi now that it's pretty easy to find a spot to get on if you need to. We have a ,obols hotspot because we can use it to get multiple devices on at the same time when traveling. When dh & I are eligible for upgrade on our sprint phones we plan to get android phones that act as mobile hotspots during travel.

I also just bought the 16gb model because I don't plan to store a lot of movies on mine. When I buy the old iPad model for dd6 I planned to get more memory because I'll store more stuff.

For recipes I use the weight watchers kitchen app, epicurious and also have PDF recipes I've purchased from http://www.savingdinner.com in my free noterize app which allows me to mark through items when I shop. Any PDF recipe or recipe your viewing online could be imported in to noterize for this purpose. I also bought a cheap stand for the iPad ($10 i think) to sit it on while I cook and use my stylus since I'm a little messy when I cook.:001_smile:

Just a quick FYI - Farmville is available on the iPad as an app through the app store. Another option is iSwifter. It's an app that is designed to allow you to interact with flash games - especially the Facebook games and recently, the Google+ games. I also view flash videos on the Skyfire browser.

I was annoyed with the flash thing at first, but it really has not been an issue for me since I discovered the apps listed above.

:-)

Val

Hijacking too (sorry!)...

I'd like something unobtrusive to use when I'm waiting for appointments, etc.

I like to view WTM message boards (Duh!), browse books at Amazon & Christianbook.com, and check out Facebook.

I'd like to occasionally watch youtube videos, and maybe be able to watch other things (?) but I don't know what. Maybe video stuff from Amazon or somewhere else?

*I also really need to do light word processing.* I'd like to be able to work on lesson planning while I'm out. Currently, I do this in a Word document and then email it to the appropriate kid.

I have a dying laptop, but I feel like they're pretty obtrusive in a waiting room environment, in a way that tablet computers/iPads, etc, are not.

What do I want? What will do the things I want to do?

iPad?

Kindle Fire?

Something else?

Sorry for all the question marks, but what I don't know is huge, and what I do know is close to nothing. I need help. :001_huh::bigear:

I plan to get the refurbished iPad for my daughter for Christmas because it seems like the best option since dh will have iPads for work and we can share apps. I will be checking out the kindle also since it's less expensive but I'm definately leaning towards the iPad. Btw...I'm holding you responsible for the 64gb $399 deal being sold out...I'd been eyeing it online for a week or so before you posted & now it's gone :angry:
Yes, I'm to blame. Sorry about that!

What's funny is that when I posted that I really didn't have any intention of purchasing the iPad 1s for our kids, since we already have a couple of iPad 2s. In the end, it seemed like we would be paying $300 dollars just for a not-so-great camera. Our younger children have each been asking for iPad Touches for Christmas since they didn't think there was any way they would each get an iPad. I went ahead and bought the refurbished iPads for them based on that excellent price. I think they will be pleasantly surprised come Christmas morning!

I hope you can manage to pick one up for your daughter!

I am interested to read your reviews after you get the kindles.
Thank You, I will look into it this as well as your reviews soon. You always do a good job of reviewing things.
Thank you. I'm glad you find the reviews useful! We should get these just before I have a week off for Thanksgiving, so I will try to write a good review and answer any questions anyone may have. MomsintheGarden is much more discerning (read: picky) about these types of things, so her feedback may be more interesting to other homeschool moms here. She's hopeful to have a little bit of a break over the holidays even though we are having about 30 people for dinner. :tongue_smilie:
Does the kindle have lots of apps to chose from like the iPad or is it more limited since it's newer?
I would say "Yes" and "Yes". Yes it has a lot of apps to choose from and, yes, it is more limited than the iPad. I *think* it will be based on Android 2.3, which has a massive amount of apps available, but Amazon has their own store for Android apps and I haven't spent much time to see what is there. The good news is that you can check them out in the Amazon Appstore for Android. It appears you can try out some of the applications right now on your computer. I expect they will have anything you would want, including weather, Facebook and recipe apps. Many apps are virtually identical to the ones available for the iPad.
I saw that somewhere and was kind of bummed. I love Farmville (the one and only game I play) and thought this would be a great way that I could still play when I wasn't home but then I saw about Flash and I know that Farmville uses that so that idea was out the window.
No problem with this on the Kindle Fire. It is based on Android and will support all Flash applications.
You can get by with just WiFi. Note, however, that the Kindle Fire has more limited storage. So you won't be able to take everything with you on a trip like you could with a fully-loaded iPad. But you should be able to carry all your apps and books with no problem.