Menu

Bassinet or Arm's Reach Mini Co Sleeper? Need Opinions!

I'm trying to decide what to do for this baby. Our last bassinet ended up getting thrown away (it was a hand me down and was falling apart) so I'm looking on Craigslist for either a bassinet or an arm's reach mini bassinet co sleeper. I can find a better deal on just a regular bassinet, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra money on a co sleeper. We do let our babies sleep in bed with us, but I try and do that about half the night, and have the baby in their bassinet by the bed half the night so I at least get a few hours decent sleep. For those of you who have used the arm's reach mini sleeper, do you feel it works a lot better than a bassinet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blessed mama to four and another on the way! Second Generation Homeschooler who is learning all over again.

My Blog-The Modest Mom Blog

Edited by TheModestMom

I used one for my first two. By my third we moved and it won't fit how our bed is arranged. I found a humanity pillow (think long body pillow with large flap baby and I can sleep on.

It was nice to have the cosleeper but by the time child can sit up/roll over it is out. Mine figured it out way toe early. With the oldest I moved in a crib with the side off. With the second we had a king size bed so space wasn't as big of a deal.

Depending on your bed height there can be either a lip you have to reach over or a few inch drop you have to pick baby up from.

If you opt for the crib it can be flush with your bed.

Have you tried side-car? You just take your crib and remove the long side and put it beside your bed. I love it, because I can have the baby close and put them back in their pen when I want my space. And a crib is normal, easy to find used, and affordable. I like the cribs with springs, not particle board, but that's just me. And using a crib sidecar means it won't get outgrown. My ds3 still sleeps that way. :)

My dad made us a co-sleeper to my specs. This was the inspiration...http://www.babybunk.com/

It is basically a 4-sided box with no top or side that faces the bed. I had him make the bottom so it would fit a regular bassinet mattress/sheets. The sides (ends) are about 1 ft. tall and the side opposite the one next to our bed bows upward. We adjusted the leg height on ours so the top of the crib mattress was the exact same height as the top of our mattress. We screwed pieces on the legs that extended under our bed frame. It is so tight that the bed has to be tipped slightly towards our bed in order to be moved out. There is no way that it can tip over. Child #5 used it until he was about 6 mos., and #6 used it until we moved her to her sister's room at about 3 mos. It is now waiting for us to put shorter legs on it for the the kids to use it as a bench.

This was soooo much better than the bassinet we used for #4. Much easier to reach over and sooth a babe.

My dad made us a co-sleeper to my specs. This was the inspiration...http://www.babybunk.com/

That's so adorable!!! Now see ds and dd were both large (11lb 1 oz and 9lb 4 oz respectively), and couldn't stay in a bassinet or cradle very long. But it's definitely a nice design. :)

It is basically a 4-sided box with no top or side that faces the bed. I had him make the bottom so it would fit a regular bassinet mattress/sheets. The sides (ends) are about 1 ft. tall and the side opposite the one next to our bed bows upward. We adjusted the leg height on ours so the top of the crib mattress was the exact same height as the top of our mattress. We screwed pieces on the legs that extended under our bed frame. It is so tight that the bed has to be tipped slightly towards our bed in order to be moved out. There is no way that it can tip over. Child #5 used it until he was about 6 mos., and #6 used it until we moved her to her sister's room at about 3 mos. It is now waiting for us to put shorter legs on it for the the kids to use it as a bench.

This was soooo much better than the bassinet we used for #4. Much easier to reach over and sooth a babe.

That looks really neat! I can't figure out one thing though. How do you make your bed each day with a co sleeper firmly attached to your bed?

That looks really neat! I can't figure out one thing though. How do you make your bed each day with a co sleeper firmly attached to your bed?

Make my bed? I was supposed to make my bed?

:lol:

:tongue_smilie:

Ok, so when I actually "made my bed" :lol: that side was kind of draped up next to the baby's bed. Not a huge deal for me. We all slept better, and that meant more than a perfectly neat bed.