Menu

Math for a math-minded child

Kindergarten ds has always been math/engineering minded. He loves Legos and can build very elaborate things with them, especially cars. He pictures what he wants to build in his mind and knows just which pieces to use to create it. As far as math goes, he has somehow taught himself to add within ten and just today he counted his chocolate chips by twos. He is always asking me to add numbers for him (for no particular reason) and also asks how much 4 8's are, 5 6's, etc. Even though he isn't able to do it himself yet, he does seem to have a simple understanding of multiplication.

I'm currently doing MEP Reception with him. It is totally below his level, but he enjoys it so I've decided to just keep with it since he also gets frustrated very easily. He's obviously not being challenged, though. We're almost half-way through and I'm wondering what suggestions you all have for when we are done. I'm doing RightStart with my older dd and I don't think that will be a good fit for him.

I really like mathusee. I'm sure lots of people will suggest Singapore but dd6 just didn't like it. We have the CWP book and are doing some of those problems but don't like Singapore as our spine. She likes to figure stuff out and enjoyed working with the blocks to figure out her addition & subtraction facts. We are at a pace of 2 to 3 levels a year which isn't cheap but I think it's giving her a good foundation. Both dd & I really like the way concepts are taught on the dvd's. I also saw many people on the board suggesting living math books and have added them to our weekly reading and she really enjoys that. We just started Life of Fred as well. DD loves it and actually complains when it's time to stop and move to another subject.

I love MEP. You should not be afraid to accelerate a kid who gets math right away. I would also check out "Beast Academy" when it becomes available. I really like MEP but I skipped reception with DD and went straight to the middle of 1. With GT kids you don't always need to do every page. You can do a few pages and then skip ahead when they are ready.

Try skipping ahead 10-20 pages and see if that's ok, keep doing this until you find his spot. MEP would have been too much writing for my older though. Singapore worked better for him since he didn't really have the ability to put pencil to paper that DD has.

Thanks everyone! Based on little bits that I've heard I had a feeling that Miquon might be a good fit. It sounds like the student does some figuring things out for themselves? Is that true? DS seems to be doing that already, so a program that guides him (and me) through that might be good. I also think that living books will be a good addition for him and my others, too. They all love to be read to and learn a lot from books. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a DVD, like Mathtacular? I think he'd readily learn from something like this as well.

I think one thing that's standing in my way is that I'm very linear in my thinking and learning and I'm also a box-checker (which my kids are not!). So, I have a hard time skipping around. I guess I need to get over that.

Thanks everyone! Based on little bits that I've heard I had a feeling that Miquon might be a good fit. It sounds like the student does some figuring things out for themselves? Is that true? DS seems to be doing that already, so a program that guides him (and me) through that might be good.

Yep, what I love about Miquon is that it encourages the child to play with math and discover important principles for himself. Lots of open-ended activities.

I think one thing that's standing in my way is that I'm very linear in my thinking and learning and I'm also a box-checker (which my kids are not!). So, I have a hard time skipping around. I guess I need to get over that.

LOL, that box-checking might be a problem with Miquon! Get yourself a copy not only of the books and Lab Sheet Annotations, but also the First Grade Diary. It helped me see a master teacher in action, and it will give you confidence in doing a 'different' sort of program.

Regardless of where you go next (Singapore, AoPS, etc), I think that Miquon will give him a terrific conceptual start.

Btw, another book I recall using a lot when my kids were little mathematicians is a volume published by the NCTM in 1975: Mathematics Learning in Early Childhood . It's available now as a free pdf on the eric.gov site. It was my 'teacher ed' manual for the early years: even though I'm a mathematician, I had a really hard time trying to remember how I learned elementary math concepts! :lol:. Anyway, I found that some of the suggested activities helped my kiddies when they were little. Maybe someone else will find it useful, too.

Thanks everyone! Based on little bits that I've heard I had a feeling that Miquon might be a good fit. It sounds like the student does some figuring things out for themselves? Is that true?

Yes. It is geared toward creating scenarios where they make discoveries (which may be more or less "guided discoveries."

This does not make it a hands-off program from a parent teacher standpoint. One needs to be a "partner" but one with the fortitude to stand back when that's best (and watch) and when to cheer when they discover the Commutitive Law. That type thing.

DS seems to be doing that already, so a program that guides him (and me) through that might be good.

Sounds make to measure for you. It is a fun way to facilitate learning if one is so inclined. I am so grateful we got to experience this sort of introduction to mathematics, I feel it was magical to witness.

Miquon may be a challenge for you in this regard. Perhaps it will help you rediscover a child-like way of learning, and perhaps it will drive you slightly batty :D

Sounds perfect for the children anyway. After you get them going in Miquon you might consider adding Singapore. This way you get the great developmental exposure from Miquon and you add in the "box-checking" systematic approach of Primary Mathematics. And you get the best of both.

Bill

In what way are you a box-checker? Do you mean fitting in different programs or the approach?

I also want to say, don't give up on MEP just because Reception seems too easy. 1a is a great program - you might want to skip right to it. I've been very impressed with the way MEP incorporates problems that call for higher-order reasoning, even at the earliest levels.

I also want to say, don't give up on MEP just because Reception seems too easy. 1a is a great program - you might want to skip right to it. I've been very impressed with the way MEP incorporates problems that call for higher-order reasoning, even at the earliest levels.

:iagree:

Bill

Thanks everyone! Based on little bits that I've heard I had a feeling that Miquon might be a good fit. It sounds like the student does some figuring things out for themselves? Is that true? DS seems to be doing that already, so a program that guides him (and me) through that might be good. I also think that living books will be a good addition for him and my others, too. They all love to be read to and learn a lot from books. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a DVD, like Mathtacular? I think he'd readily learn from something like this as well.

I resisted Miquon because I thought it would freak ME out, but I finally got it because I thought it would be a good fit for ds. We both LOVE it. It's my very best curriculum decision yet!

We also have the first 2 Mathtacular DVDs and LOVE them as well. I've never used them for anything other than having the kids watch a DVD that I felt less guilty about having them watch;):lol:. I get to finish a cup of coffee, and they learn/reinforce math skills.

In what way are you a box-checker? Do you mean fitting in different programs or the approach?

In my perfect world, we would have a perfect little routine where we did the exact same things every day at the same times. I'd have easy to follow teacher's books that were very step-by-step, with integrated subjects, had lots of living books scheduled in, and most importantly had little boxes for me to check when we're done with a lesson (I love to check things off of a list). But the reality is that nothing out there is exactly how I'd want it, but even if it was that kind of thing wouldn't work well in a house with 5 kids, let alone MY kids. Having kids, staying home, and teaching them has caused me to stretch myself a lot. I'm already realizing that these perfect, step-by-step programs aren't going to work for my kids and that I really need to think out of the box. I've started some things that are out of my comfort zone already and I guess I'll just continue to add in new ones until everything is that way.

I have Miquon now and I've just started reading the First Grade Diary. We're just going to keep moving along in MEP while I read up on Miquon and figure out how to get that started.

As far as something to add to it, why would you choose Singapore over MEP? Or the other way around? The reality is that I only have so much time in a day and adding in one curriculum would be more doable than two.

As far as something to add to it, why would you choose Singapore over MEP? Or the other way around? The reality is that I only have so much time in a day and adding in one curriculum would be more doable than two.

For me this was a really tough decision to make. We did most of the MEP 1 student book exercises and a good number of the Lesson Plans in addition to using Singapore 1A/B, plus Miquon (and other things). But there are only so many hours in the day, especially being "afterschoolers," so eventually I had to make a choice.

It wasn't easy. I really like the emphasis MEP puts on getting children to *think* in order to problem solve. If I'd had a solid background in whole-parts math I would have been sorely tempted to go with MEP. As it is all I can do is "cherry-pick."

*I* went with Primary Mathematics (Singapore) because I could really see and understand their "Model Method." I do have "road not taken" moments, but Singapore is giving me the structural spine I need to really understand this style of teaching myself.

I wish I had another child because number two would probably have been educated using MEP (with the advantage of a parent who could bring in the lessons learned from using Singapore).

I wish I had the time to do all three. I really do.

Bill