Menu

Wow, the strongest cartel in the world got busted big time in my old neighborhood.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Policiaca/25102011/550214.aspx

69 million pesos worth of drugs, or about 5.3 million dollars.

:001_huh:

And it's just a few houses down from where I lived when I first moved here!

And everyone around here knows the Fisher family. One of the Fisher "kids" (now all adults) was one of the two men arrested. In fact, where I lived is called Campo Fisher because most of the land there is owned by them and they've sold some of it off and people have built a neighborhood on it, which was where the bust was. I'm told they stand to lose all of their land around here due to this bust.

Waaaaay too close to home! It's a part of the Sinaloa cartel, which is apparently the most powerful in the world.

Very scary!

We used to worry about our neighbor in Germany, he seemed to work very little and have a lot of money.

Then, we learned he was a goalie for a large city's team during the year they won the national championship. We were relieved!! But, the first year we were there before we learned of his soccer past, we wondered. (We did not ask what he did, we thought it might be better not to know.)

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Policiaca/25102011/550214.aspx

69 million pesos worth of drugs, or about 5.3 million dollars.

:001_huh:

And it's just a few houses down from where I lived when I first moved here!

And everyone around here knows the Fisher family. One of the Fisher "kids" (now all adults) was one of the two men arrested. In fact, where I lived is called Campo Fisher because most of the land there is owned by them and they've sold some of it off and people have built a neighborhood on it, which was where the bust was. I'm told they stand to lose all of their land around here due to this bust.

Waaaaay too close to home! It's a part of the Sinaloa cartel, which is apparently the most powerful in the world.

I'm curious... do you feel safe where you are now? I hear so many bad things about cartels in Mexico, I would be so afraid to live there.

Margaret

I'm curious... do you feel safe where you are now? I hear so many bad things about cartels in Mexico, I would be so afraid to live there.

Margaret

I'm curious too. DH is from Mexico, but hasn't lived there for over a decade. Reading stories like this freaks me out:

http://justiceinmexico.org/2011/09/21/35-bodies-dumped-by-freeway-in-veracruz/

Margaret

I am really surprised that it happened. Maybe I should be scared, but I'm not really. I am telling myself that the Fisher's have a lot of family living in Campo Fisher, including several kids, and that those who are involved would do a lot to make sure that outright violence didn't reach there. As in, drugs=violence but they would probably take the violence elsewhere and not around their kids. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but that's where I am right now.

I also know that if I was not supposed to be here, then God would let me know. That's most of the reason why I'm not scared. Also, I'm only about a minutes drive from where it happened in my current home, but it's a different neighborhood run by a different family and we have guards who take their job very seriously. In fact, I paid a girl to take care of my puppies while I was in the States and they treated her like a criminal when she showed up. They questioned her and then put her in the back of a truck drover her around asking where my house was, then questioned her again, etc. I felt really bad for her! But I'm new in this neighborhood and didn't know I was supposed to tell the family that I had someone coming to my house. :001_huh: At least I know that people can't get in easily...