Menu

Seeking your vote for BEST Homeschooling Town/City (whether you live there or not)

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Non-regulated state

So many art galleries, museums, nature centers, etc.

Lots of activities for the children

Several colleges and community colleges in the area for early admission/dual credit

Nice weather 8-9 months out of the year

Crummy public schools :glare:, so most people are very accepting to homeschooling :D

Lots of people homeschool in this area

I will second Texas.

I grew up in DFW and now live in Austin. Austin is this great liberal bubble in the middle of a conservative state. There is a lot of diversity and that includes education options. Homeschooling is not at all uncommon and we are very accepted. Lots of opportunities for outdoor excursions as well.

I think anywhere in TX would be good but I really like it here.

J

I live in Dayton, Ohio and I think it is a great place to homeschool. The homeschool laws are not difficult in my opinion and we have tons of opportunities here for homeschoolers and there are more every day. There are several different homeschool groups, co-ops etc. We are also within an hour or so from Cincinnati and Columbus which makes even more available to us. I am very happy homeschooling here.

DFW has great weather 8-9 months of the year?? Nah.

I do think there's a lot to do there, but I lived there 6 years and wouldn't say the weather was great for 8-9 months of the year at ALL.

I love hs'ing in Florida. The state is pretty hands-off and we can get to the beach in an hour, Disney in 15 minutes, SeaWorld, Gatorland, etc... there's a lot to do here for kids! And lots to see and experience.

i just moved from the charlotte NC area. hands-down, charlotte was the best homeschooling place i've ever seen. they have co-ops galore, homeschool stores, TONS of affordable homeschool classes and activities. it was awesome. as for laws, you can pick from living in SC or NC. i lived in SC, but was only 3 miles from the NC border, so that was cool too.

Where I live now :).

- No regulation

- A half dozen different coops within a 45 minute drive of my house - this doesn't even count the dozen or so different homeschool support groups

- Many homeschooling families in this location

- Park district offers homeschooling classes (swimming, gym, art, nature)

DFW has great weather 8-9 months of the year?? Nah.

I do think there's a lot to do there, but I lived there 6 years and wouldn't say the weather was great for 8-9 months of the year at ALL.

July, August and September are awful, but the rest of the year is great, in my opinion.

July, August and September are awful, but the rest of the year is great, in my opinion.

Yep. I've lived in TX for 20 years of my life (wow! just realized that!) and I agree. Even with an oppressive June-Sep here this year, the rest of the year makes it all worthwhile. Right now, I'm in heaven!

I agree that Fort Worth is an ideal place to homeschool. DH was born and raised there and I met him when I was in college there. We can't wait until he retires and we can return and homeschool the kids there. It is all the more exciting to think we'll be there for their teen years. I've always felt like Fort Worth is the best of big town culture in a small town atmosphere.

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Non-regulated state

So many art galleries, museums, nature centers, etc.

Lots of activities for the children

Several colleges and community colleges in the area for early admission/dual credit

Nice weather 8-9 months out of the year

Crummy public schools :glare:, so most people are very accepting to homeschooling :D

Lots of people homeschool in this area

:iagree: We've homeschooled in MO and my sisters homeschooled (themselves) in IL. TX is- hands down- the best place we've homeschooled. There are so many people who homeschool here that people leave you alone about it (we were the village homeschooling weirdos in our last town).

There are actually homeschool stores here - which we didn't have in MO or IL (at least where we lived). You can go and look at all the curriculum in person before you buy it.

There are enrichment centers here, too. One has a homeschool theatre troop...they have math classes, science classes, etc. It's awesome. ;)

I give Texas a homeschooling :thumbup1:.

Oklahoma is so easy! If you have never been in PS, you do nothing. If you have kids in school, you send one letter when you remove them. HSing is allowed by the state constitution. I am a member of one local support group and co-op. There are at least 10 others in tue area that I onow about. There are a few yahoo groups where curriculum is often given away, traded, or sold cheap! I have driven a mile down the road to pick up gently used amd like new books for just a few dollars.

There is lots of support. I have taken DS out in public during school hours and never had a question about why he is not in school.

Is there opposition? Yes, but I have not encountered any from anyone other than my family.

Plus.....great weather and cost of living. It has been called a recession proof economy, and there are currently jobs to be had. Boeing just moved 500 jobs here from CA, and we have great college football ;)